Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where's the new shops?

Default Where's the new shops?

What happened to the proposed new shops to be built by Tesco in wick? The work was to have started in spring 2008, but nothing is happening. does anyone know?
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Been wondering that too............................anyone know?

Default On hold

I would guess with the present economic crisis any development would be on the back burner for the time being.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Oh goodness knows. Haven't heard anything about it since the start of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    What happened to the proposed new shops to be built by Tesco in wick? The work was to have started in spring 2008, but nothing is happening. does anyone know?
    Maybe it has fallen into the black hole of pie in the sky ideas!.
    Wheres the Marina in Wick with large hotel? been eagerly waiting for that one as I thought thats why they made the pier wider for docking boats.
    Theres loads that I am sure other orgers can mention.

Everything came to a screeching halt when BIG A stopped posting here.

The already fragile bubble went POP!!

People who don't spend all their time shopping, eventually became aware of the term "Credit Crunch". At first, this was assumed, by some, to be a new, Credit Card shaped, Potato snack. Then the realisation set in that prices were increasing, Mortgage Payments were getting higher and their Homes were worth less than they were last year.

Time to realise that there is more to life than shopping. We won't die for the lack of a Starbucks in Wick. Who wants another Chavmart anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    The already fragile bubble went POP!!

People who don't spend all their time shopping, eventually became aware of the term "Credit Crunch". At first, this was assumed, by some, to be a new, Credit Card shaped, Potato snack. Then the realisation set in that prices were increasing, Mortgage Payments were getting higher and their Homes were worth less than they were last year.

Time to realise that there is more to life than shopping. We won't die for the lack of a Starbucks in Wick. Who wants another Chavmart anyway?
    Well it attracts more people to Wick though which is a good thing isn't it?

Who said it would be Starbucks anyway. Isn't it only non- food units?

Quote Originally Posted by rfr10 View Post
    Well it attracts more people to Wick though which is a good thing isn't it?

Who said it would be Starbucks anyway. Isn't it only non- food units?
    Oh aye, Wick's fair hoachin so it is. People coming to the toon for a supermarket that is everywhere else in the universe already.

Starbucks is a tongue in cheek reference for wanabee toons with illusions of grandeur. We are WICK, not Inverness or any other city. The day that a population of a few thousand can expect the range of shops that exists in places of several hundred thousand, or millions, is not going to arrive.

Get a hold on reality please.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Oh aye, Wick's fair hoachin so it is. People coming to the toon for a supermarket that is everywhere else in the universe already.

Starbucks is a tongue in cheek reference for wanabee toons with illusions of grandeur. We are WICK, not Inverness or any other city. The day that a population of a few thousand can expect the range of shops that exists in places of several hundred thousand, or millions, is not going to arrive.

Get a hold on reality please.
    Who would want masses of city like shops..... but, a few more retail outlets, suitable in size for the population would be nice...

The new shopping mall is planned by Scapa Properties- who had planned to build it there for Homebase and Argos. However a rival developer beat them to it in the south road.

I think any more big firms coming in would have to know there would be takers from the chain stores for the new slots: remember there were also plans to turn the space in Market Square occupied by local government offices into a shopping mall too. Keep in mind that a main street full of takeaways, bookies and charity shops doesn't exactly scream prosperity. There are loads of unsold properties in Wick- which may also be putting the big guns off too.

On a brighter note a few of the smaller Wick businesses are trying to regenerate themselves- have a look at what Fairways and Sam have planned for a start in High Street, and hats off too to the kilt man and wedding gown lady. Maybe it may just be down to the little people this time
    Bagpuss

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss View Post
    remember there were also plans to turn the space in Market Square occupied by local government offices into a shopping mall too.
    I think you will find that the Council are staying put in the Market Square. That was certainly the last I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by bagpuss View Post
    On a brighter note a few of the smaller Wick businesses are trying to regenerate themselves- have a look at what Fairways and Sam have planned for a start in High Street, and hats off too to the kilt man and wedding gown lady. Maybe it may just be down to the little people this time

Sorry, I must have missed that weeks Groat. What have Fairways and Sam planned for High Street?
    Last I heard, Fairways was for sale.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Fairways failed to attract a buyer and the front bit of the shop has been leased to a new venture which will sell childrens' furniture etc. Fairways have had a clearance sale (I was in when I was up visiting family- and they've got all Ernie's back stock going at really low prices) and have started a smaller business at the back of the shop called Linen. It's got some really cool stuff. They're about to do a refurb before the new business moves in.

Still its an ill wind......
    Bagpuss

That's great! It means we will not have (another) empty shop. Do I take it that the part of the shop called "Linen" will be selling Linen?
    Childrens furniture will also be a new and useful shop for Wick. Good luck to all involved.

Thanks for the info Bagpuss.

Am I right in thinking that Sam is turning Fairways into a pram shop?
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Talking New Shops

If anyone reads the old stories (20,25 years ago etc) in the Groat and Courier you will find that were stories back then about new shops, oil depot's, etc so the rumour mill is nothing new. I you haven't, you should. It is like Groundhog Day!!

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

You'd have heard everything if you'd been listening to your new DAB radio broadcasts direct from the mast at Rumster.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    You'd have heard everything if you'd been listening to your new DAB radio broadcasts direct from the mast at Rumster.
    if you are listening to dab radio then you are lucky. Tried again tonight but no joy in Wick.....or is it just me?

Labour Market Information eh? I'd rather see new lifestyles than shops...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast