Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: cheesecake help

Default cheesecake help

I've got one blackcurrant bush with enough to make a cheesecake. What would I do with them? If I put them in a pan with a drop sugar and just heated it enough to burts them a bit then combined that with whipped cream and philladelphia would that work?
    Any help appreciated because I've never made a cheesecake before.

try this sweetpea

first put the blackcurrants in a pan with some sugar depends on how sweet they are and a wee drop of water low heat simmer til they burst not mushy sieve through a wire sieve as a nylon will end up purple you should be left with just the stalks and pips in sieve

Blackcurrant Cheesecake

65g Butter
    130g Digestives crushed

150ml double Cream
    200g Philadelphia
    50g Caster Sugar
    200g blackcurrants sieved
    Kiwi Fruit optional

melt butter stir in crushed biscs spread in bottom of tin smooth down leave to cool in fridge

Whisk Cream and sugar til stiff dont let it curdle though
    stir in the cream cheese add in most of the blackcurrant mix until its nice and thick should be a nice purple colour
    spread on top of base and put back in fridge for as long as you want til it sets or until your ready to serve
    serve with last of blackcurrants and a sliced Kiwi fruit
    enjoy

Ps folks this recipe works with any of our berries in season
    Last edited by Anne x; 24-Jul-08 at 18:11. Reason: spelling !!!
    Its nice to be nice

I make a very simple cheesecake type dessert by crushing biscuit into the bottom of a cup ( we have a great biscuit here called Donana)

soak mixed dried fruit, sultananas, raisins whatever in alcohol overnight, next day top the biscuit with the fruit mix.

Mix plain philly with honey to taste and pile on the top, sprinkle vermicelli on the top and serve with saucer and teaspoon.

When the fruit trees are fruiting I puree peach/plum/and the local fruit nispero and use that as fruit layer. Strawberries work well just covered in sugar (vanilla sugar is good)
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Thanks for that I will try both and let you know how I get on.

Anne, I made the cheesecake last night and it's delicious, thanks for the recipe. But my my arms were so with all the mashing through the seive and whisking the cream

try crushing the biscuits this way - put biscuits in a poly bag, and crush with a rolling pin. Use quite a big bag as the crumbs may escape through the top. Ginger snaps and digestive mixed with butter make a nice base.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Anne, I made the cheesecake last night and it's delicious, thanks for the recipe. But my my arms were so with all the mashing through the seive and whisking the cream
    Glad it was ok Its the fruit you used makes it like that hard work try brambles later on in the year yum yum now you have the basic recipe make any kind you want
    Its nice to be nice

Made the cheesecake yesterday! I just made it plain and added a wee bit of vanilla extract to the cheese mixture and had it wi raspberries on the side. Was lovely but am definitely goin to try the bramble version!