Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding in public

Default Breastfeeding in public

I hope you might consider signing this on-line petition to the Prime Minister regarding breastfeeding in public.

We are fortunate in Scotland since Scottish law protects our right to breastfeed a child up to 2 years of age in any public place, however English law is only for babies up to 6 months, so the petition campaigns to increase this age limit.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/breastfedright/

Many thanks

For more information check out - www.caithnessbreastfriends.org.uk
    Last edited by Bobinovich; 28-Jun-08 at 15:01. Reason: Link corrected
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Signed sealed and delivered!
    And I'm a bloke!!!

Thumbs up Signed & Sealed

I have signed the petition and intend to mail all my friends to do the same.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

Thanks to all for signing! I didn't realise there was an age limit for breastfeeding in public in Scotland, never thought about it before!

There's an interesting story in Times Online
    Last edited by Julia; 28-Jun-08 at 17:13.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

thats me just signed up, i am a mum with 3 kids(4th on the way and have always fed my children as and when required regardless of where we are at the time, will do so with my new baby when it arrives.

Signed. It does seem a bit odd that breast can be exposed in newspapers etc for all and sundry to see, but discreetly get one out to feed your child and shock horror. Don't get me started on the hypocrisy when the the government quiet rightly recommends breastfeeding until the child is a least one year old but just don't go out in public during that first year in case you have to feed him/her.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Done it. Now sending link to friends and family.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

It's a natural part of life which some people find unacceptable for what I don't know. All the best with the petition. Signed sealed and delivered.

I'm a guy who works in a nursery and fully support this. The problem is peoples attitudes that they feel embarrassed cause of their small minds
    I've seen children fed in the nursery, at meetings and out in public and most of the time no-one even knows its happening.
    I was surprised too that theres an age limit, how can something so natural be seen to be wrong.

Actually, I feel moved to respond further. A good friend of mine breast-fed her son until he was three and a bit. But had to be so furtive about it. Thirty years ago, she was a pioneer, and had to hide in lavvies on a night out. So wrong.

Why is this an issue for government? It is about personal choice, and we should be free to choose how, when and where to breast-feed our children. It is a natural act. I am of the bottle-fed generation, when we went through a period of "Cow & Gate" is better, not because of science, but because of sad puritanism, and ferocious marketing.

Surely the world has moved on. In a free society, we should be free to do what we think is best.

But we can't, because this ridiculous nanny state makes rules we don't need, and don't want. And they only do it because they need power, and because they can.

And don't forget, we elected the useless b*stards.
    Last edited by gardeninginagale; 28-Jun-08 at 20:08.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by gardeninginagale View Post
    Actually, I feel moved to respond further. A good friend of mine breast-fed her son until he was three and a bit. But had to be so furtive about it. Thirty years ago, she was a pioneer, and had to hide in lavvies on a night out. So wrong.

Why is this an issue for government? It is about personal choice, and we should be free to choose how, when and where to breast-feed our children. It is a natural act. I am of the bottle-fed generation, when we went through a period of "Cow & Gate" is better, not because of science, but because of sad puritanism, and ferocious marketing.

Surely the world has moved on. In a free society, we should be free to do what we think is best.

But we can't, because this ridiculous nanny state makes rules we don't need, and don't want. And they only do it because they need power, and because they can.

And don't forget, we elected the useless b*stards.
    Unfortunately they are the ones that make help make the law, not always for the good I'm afraid but I agree with you that breastfeeding is a natural act which should be supported, not to be made to be something seedy which you would have to have a pretty warped mind to find it so.

As a mother who was unable to breast feed. I don't have a problem with people breastfeeding, discreetly, wherever they like...........but tbh, I am inclined to think that as most two year olds are on solid food and can drink from a cup, breastfeeding in public is more for the ego of the mother and not as much for the needs of the child.

Not signed...and I await the umbrage!

Signed...........Mother Nature is always right.

I have to admit I didn't know there was an age limit, so that rules me out of offering to help any ladies.

However you have my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine
    As a mother who was unable to breast feed. I don't have a problem with people breastfeeding, discreetly, wherever they like...........but tbh, I am inclined to think that as most two year olds are on solid food and can drink from a cup, breastfeeding in public is more for the ego of the mother and not as much for the needs of the child.

Having incurred the wrath of some for stating my opinion last time this topic was raised I thought I would let someone else stick their head over the rampart first.

Won't be signing either - how about a "Ban public breastfeeding petition"?

Just so you don't feel lonely mind if I wait for the next umbrage with you?

Default Breastfeeding in public

Breastfeeding should always be incouraged, but i remember a few weeks back reading that a mother was still breastfeeding her child and it was 5 years old, now i cant see how that is helping the child or the mother, there comes a time when u say, ok enough is enough, and once the teeth starts to come through, THATS ENOUGH lol

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    Having incurred the wrath of some for stating my opinion last time this topic was raised I thought I would let someone else stick their head over the rampart first.

Won't be signing either - how about a "Ban public breastfeeding petition"?

Just so you don't feel lonely mind if I wait for the next umbrage with you?
    Whew, that's a relief.I'm not alone.

From where I'm sitting, breastfeeding is only important for the first six months, though alongside other foods after this time, it's an important and healthy part of the diet.

I'll allow that a child who is not fully weaned may be as old as a year, but beyond that, from my experience, it is more laziness on the part of the mother if they aren't regularly eating real food and drinking from a cup by that age

So it seems to me that that means that after that age you can choose the time and place to breastfeed.........and it doesn't have to be in public during the day, but could just as easily take place in private in the morning and evening.

I'm afraid I'd grue if I saw a two year old breastfeeding in public..........regardless of the law in Scotland...........and I must admit, I wasn't aware that two was the cut off time for Scotland. I can't envisage anything more embarrassing than breastfeeding a child older than an infant in public.

My kids had more than enough teeth to bite by two.
    Last edited by Oddquine; 29-Jun-08 at 01:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post

In this day and age there is room for a support group for mothers like yourself who couldn't breastfeed, yet there would be no support from the health service to set one up. Increasingly by breastfeeding zealotism and through no fault of their own, bottle-feeders are made to feel guilty and ashamed at a time when they don't need it and it causes distress for all in the family.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Signed. It does seem a bit odd that breast can be exposed in newspapers etc for all and sundry to see, but discreetly get one out to feed your child and shock horror. Don't get me started on the hypocrisy when the the government quiet rightly recommends breastfeeding until the child is a least one year old but just don't go out in public during that first year in case you have to feed him/her.
    Quite agree with you Tris. If a woman gets 'em out on a beach or in a park everyone is agog and she is in the papers the next day. Signed in and supportive.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Oddquine and Tristan mentioned the operative words.. ..breastfeeding discreetly.

I think many of the anti-breastfeeding in public lobby are not against the act per se, after all it is natural. What they object to is when the feeding implements are flaunted and everyone is expected to share the experience which should be a moment between mother and baby.

I am all for it, and will be signing up.
    Take a hundred lines:- "The word is INFRACTION not INFARTION"

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast