Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thurso Swimming Pool

Angry Thurso Swimming Pool

Not long back from swimming and cant beleive the level of service that I have received.

I handed over my highlife card to pay for a swim and steam room and was asked if I could let the life guard know to leave the steam room on. I did think to myself at the time well surely thats your job to let them know but agreed as previously I have asked for the steamroom and it was never switched on.

As I stood waiting for my friend to turn up I noticed that I only had a £2 coin which would not fit the locker so I asked at the counter if they would exchange it for 2 £1 coins. The response was that she had no £1 coins and was low on change. Fair enough I thought ill wait for my friend and see if he had a £1 coin that I could borrow.

My friend arrived and he only had a £10 note on him, he approached the counter and was asked if he had anything smaller he replied that this was all he had, he was given over £8 in change.

My friend then gave me 2 £1 coins for my £2 coin, I asked where he had got the coins from and he told me from the counter and showed me a hand full of change with at least six £1 coins!

I was fumming that I had been lied too, great example of poor customer service. Has half tempted to challenge her about it, but dont think it would have done any good.

Considering making a formal complaint at the moment, if any one knows who I should direct it to please let me know.

Hello

Not quite sure who to put a complaint to - i have in the past completed forms within swimming pool and put them in suggestions box but nothing changes!

I apologise if i am going to upset people but i have to say it.....most of the times that i have used the swimming pool for either the gym/steamroom/sunbed or swimming i have found the staff very rude...on one occasion about a year ago i went to use the sunbed i found that there were no safety goggles to use, i got myself dressed (without using sunbed) went to reception and asked for another set of goggles to be told we dont have any the last ones broke you will be fine if you just close your eyes!! needless to say i never used the sunbed again.

Another thing if you phone to book the gym depending on who you speak to or what the mood is of whoever you get on the phone then somedays i am told you can only book it at 6.15pm or 7pm and every 45 mins thereafter other days speaking to another nicer lady you can book 6.30pm...the mind boggles....are the staff there just trying to be awkward i have to ask myself??

Cleanliness is another issue of the swimming pool/gym - both are dirty and i have seen very little cleaning go on when i have been there....
    On an occasion the nappy bin in the swimming changing rooms were overflowing before i went into the pool i told the lifeguard who said sorry these bins only get changed on a Tuesday or it could have been Wednesday cant totally remember now but this was a Sunday that i was in....

To be honest the list goes on for me of the complaints that i have about the place but it is the only swimming pool nearby so..

again sorry if i have offended anyone but.

Two postings above a prity typical of the Thurso Pol. Also within the dressingrooms lockers with keys are in short demand and once that have may not have a band or pin on them to secure somehow to body or costume.
    Complaints - try Bill Fernie, he should know.
    Are you reading those post Bill - they are typical of the service there and there are many other problems.

Mr Durrand is acting pool manager of both Wick and Thurso you could write to him and also send a copy to Graeme Ross, Area Facilities Manager, Highland Council, Drummie, Golspie.

Anyone who has complaints should raise them with either of the above or your local councillor.

I'm not a great one for regrets, but I do wish we could turn the clock back and think again a bit harder about that council tax freeze that we're supposedly "enjoying".

Now there's not enough money to clean or run any of the council facilities efficiently or effectively - that's swimming pools, schools, council offices....

There's no wonder that council staff across the board are getting a bit short tempered and careless - it's likely that they're understaffed and lacking the resources they need to do their job adequately - it's hard to give service with a smile under those circumstances.

Personally I'd rather have paid more tax and be getting at least an adequate service, but it's a bit late now - we seem to be stuck with it for a good while yet.

Next time I must remember to ask that question before I vote, although it's hard to guess who'll have the influence to change things for the better!

No sign of the Chairman of the Education, Culture and Sport Committee coming on with a comment yet!

Trust and lies.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I decided to take my 3 small children to Thurso pool last week and arranged for another adult to accompany me in order to provide the required supervision.

We checked the timetable before we went and discovered that from 2pm onwards on a Sunday, the pool is used for squads and lane swimming. I telephoned the swimming pool to check if it would be possible to take the children into the toddlers' pool instead. I was told it would not be and I accepted this. However, I decided to go to the pool by myself and found that one of the pool attendants had small children in the toddlers' pool. If there are rules on admission, fine, but they should apply to EVERYONE!!!!!!

Facilities manager for both Wick and Thurso Swimming Pools is advertised on the HRC website - maybe they will be able to improve Customer Service to the paying customers!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
    Facilities manager for both Wick and Thurso Swimming Pools is advertised on the HRC website - maybe they will be able to improve Customer Service to the paying customers!
    Pity no sign of the Chairman of the Education, Culture and Sport Committee coming on with a comment yet!

Come on Bill, you are usually quick enough to jump in on a council topic! If you cannot then I hope you are at least taking note as there are some real concerns in Thurso.

Can't say I have had any probs at Thurso pool, having said that I havn't used the gym or the sunbeds in a long time.

With regards to Bill answering, this is only day 3 of this thread, it is just possible hat he is away from his computer for some reason,work or pleasure, or he could be investigating before answering either way, give the guy a chance.

Asking the same question 3 days on the trot aint gonna get you a quicker answer if the guy is busy.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Thumbs up Thurso Pool Staff

Have to agree with Changi here - I have absolutely no problem with the pool staff and have NEVER considered any of them to be rude that's for sure.

I have young children who frequently use the pool and the lifeguards are fantastic - you only have to ask for help if you are trying to teach your kids and nothing is too much of a problem. I know that the changing rooms are scrubbed and disinfected every night and the bathrooms every morning - Ok during the day they can get a bit minging but that is because the lifeguards job is to watch the pool for the safety of the swimmers - if you remove a lifeguard for cleaning duties then they have to reduce the numbers in the pool and shut down the toddler pool. I can hear the outcry now if that were to start happening! As for the nappy bins - they are classed the same as the sanitary bins in any ladies toilet - they contain human waste and therefore under Health and Safety they are collected and disposed of by designated companies. Again this is up to the Council to deal with NOT the lifeguard.

The changing rooms/showers are old and tired which makes them look yuck - but yet again that is the Council's problem not the staff's.

It's the poor reception staff I feel for - many a time I have stood in the queue to swipe our cards and I am quite disgusted at the way that some people speak to them - they may be Council employees and therefore here to serve the public but to treat them with complete disregard and contempt is just plain ignorant! Do you realise that the receptionist who mans the first shift and/or the weekends does not have a fixed break away from their post - they are responsible to man the front desk continuously for 7+ hours.

Anyway .... sorry... rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Can't say I have had any probs at Thurso pool, having said that I havn't used the gym or the sunbeds in a long time.

With regards to Bill answering, this is only day 3 of this thread, it is just possible hat he is away from his computer for some reason,work or pleasure, or he could be investigating before answering either way, give the guy a chance.

Asking the same question 3 days on the trot aint gonna get you a quicker answer if the guy is busy.
    Just getting it back to the top!

Yeah I'm afraid I too have a list of complaints about the pool as long as my arm. Is there any way of bringing about a change? Approaching the staff / comleting their feedback forms doesn't seem to make a difference.

I use the gym and swimming pool several times a week and I find 99% of the staff to be excellent. The gym changing room is ok but wouldn't like to use the shower, the male swimming pool changing room is minging and usually stinks of urine.
    The curling machine in the gym has been broken for months, its quite normal for equipment not to be repaired for ages.
    I blame the council for these problems not the staff, I find it hard to believe they've got away with it for so long, wouldn't want to kick up to much fuss in case they close the place down. Whats the one in Wick like??

My problem with the pool has nothing to do with the staff as barr one male lifeguard who has been rude , arrogant and thinks he owns the place i find they are all very pleasant and helpful ...i just find that the pool is way too cold especially for the little ones, i don't go very often but when i have my 2 year old often turns blue and shivers for ages after and its not like hes in for long, i also find it too cold for myself .

however no too long ago i took my son to swimming lessons and was waiting to pay and the lady behind the desk was gossiping away to someone she obviously knew and ignoring the fact i was there, after 5 mins of waiting i left and didn't pay..which was fine by me as it was there loss not mine .

Surely if the changing rooms smell of urine that has more to do with the folks using the facilities rather than the staff. Places only end up 'minging' 'cos of the way folks abuse them.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Surely if the changing rooms smell of urine that has more to do with the folks using the facilities rather than the staff. Places only end up 'minging' 'cos of the way folks abuse them.
    Guess you must be a female who has never been in gents toilets with urinals that have not been properly cleaned - the smells can travel for 'miles'! I am not suggesting that is the case with the toilets under discussion but mearly poiting out that it cerainly not always users that are responsible for such an odour.

I'd just like to ask if anyone has a problem with the ladies changing rooms, toilet area and showers????
    I find i really difficult to go into the loo and shut the door behind me, I wouldn't say i was overweight or large, but i have to do a kind of balancing act to get the door of the cubical shut!! If i need to take my toddler in too it's a nightmare!
    The showers are RUBBISH if there is more than 2 people in the showers the water pressure isn't strong enough to get the 3rd shower on!!!
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a hot shower after a swim?
    Council needs to improve the facilities or sell on to a private club, maybe we'll get a David Lloyd Leisure, now that would be a result for Thurso!

Quote Originally Posted by Jo.b View Post
    I'd just like to ask if anyone has a problem with the ladies changing rooms, toilet area and showers????
    I find i really difficult to go into the loo and shut the door behind me, I wouldn't say i was overweight or large, but i have to do a kind of balancing act to get the door of the cubical shut!! If i need to take my toddler in too it's a nightmare!
    The showers are RUBBISH if there is more than 2 people in the showers the water pressure isn't strong enough to get the 3rd shower on!!!
    I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a hot shower after a swim?
    Council needs to improve the facilities or sell on to a private club, maybe we'll get a David Lloyd Leisure, now that would be a result for Thurso!

i know exactly what u mean hate when i need a pee or the wee one does as its impossible to get in the toilets, the place needs a revamp the changing area has been the same for years
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast