Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Thatcher on BBC 4 tonight - brilliant!

Default Thatcher on BBC 4 tonight - brilliant!

I didn't like her policies, didn't like the woman.

I never , ever voted for her.

Time, and the creeps we have had to suffer since have embellished my memory of Maggie and I almost wish she was back.

Anyway, all that said last night there was a drama on BBC 4 'The Long Road to Finchley'

It was absolutely brilliant. Especially if you're into politics, nostalgia, or want to learn more about the woman, just how stuffy Britain was in the post-war period. Much of it is fantasy though, especially the effect she's depicted to have had on Edward Heath!
    Persistence paid off for Maggie....she was a tenacious character and whatever your views on he rlegacy and her time in office , nobody with half a head would dispute she was a conviction politician of substance.

This was one of the best progs I've seen on t.v. in ages. The actress who played Margaret deserves an award of some kind - she turned in a galvanising performance. It's intentionally light-hearted in parts and provides a few laughs too.

It's repeated TONIGHT at ten....I shall be hovering with a disc to capture it forever. Stuff like this makes the licence fee appear a pittance.
    Last edited by percy toboggan; 13-Jun-08 at 19:04.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the review, Percy, the trailer had already caught my eye so I recorded it the other night, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I shall save it for when MrBurd is back off shift.
    WeeBurd.

Damn, forgot about this programme.

Politics aside, she was a determined and straight talking leader who commanded respect. Something sadly lacking in todays bunch of media personalities - sorry - politicians.

It was fantastic - i cannot stand the woman either but fighting for a place as a woman in post war Britain must have been soooooooooo hard.

Excellent television

Default Thatcher

As a young coal miner in her period in office we were brainwashed into hatred for her.
    As I got older and more able to form my own opinon I got to respect her a bit.
    I watched last nights programe as nothing else was on and wife and I enjoyed it.
    Love the reference to Mark and desert and Carol king of the jungle.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

It's on again on Tuesday night at half-ten.
    Inexplicably...despite pressing the button manually...and waiting up for it to finish (without watching) to press the button to end recording the flaming thing didn't record last night.

DVD recorders are unpredictable in my experience...they are inclined to screw up...or the disc itself might be faulty. VHS video was a benchmark that dvd can only better in quality terms. The versatility and reliability is inferior imho. Don't mention HD cos I'm just not ready for all that caper just yet.

Incidentally the actress who played Maggie Thatch was Andrea Riseborough...she was stunning. It's a name you'll hear more of I'm sure.