Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brain Training

Default Brain Training

thinking im needing to buy one of those gadgets....grey matter getting thicker as time goes on ....if i dont write it down...sat and wrote out a list yesterday on what i had to get and do in town...went and left it on the counter.....anyone tried those brain trainers? or is it a lost cause
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Talking

What's a brain?

Quote Originally Posted by Torvaig View Post
    What's a brain?
    oh thanks for the laugh ...i needed that

Thumbs up

Seriously, let me know how you get on as I have considered getting one of those to see if they help with the old, ehmm...you know what I mean...ehmm grey matter that is....I think. I would ask for one for my birthday but I think that is past..... for this year anyway!

Seriously, let me know how you get on as I have considered getting one of those to see if they help with the old, ehmm...you know what I mean...ehmm grey matter that is....I think. I would ask for one for my birthday but I think that is past..... for this year anyway!
    Try buying a newspaper and doing the crossword and other puzzles they provide. It will keep your brain sharp and is a lot cheaper than a wii.

Quote Originally Posted by ciderally View Post
    thinking im needing to buy one of those gadgets....grey matter getting thicker as time goes on ....if i dont write it down...sat and wrote out a list yesterday on what i had to get and do in town...went and left it on the counter.....anyone tried those brain trainers? or is it a lost cause
    I no how u feel im bad for walking out the house questioning if i have switched all the plugs of i have to go back and check i do this regular.

From what i gather a lot people that have the nintendo ds love it and if u fancy it go and get if u ask people on forums u will end up with negative comments and you will hesitate more in whether to buy or not.

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    I no how u feel im bad for walking out the house questioning if i have switched all the plugs of i have to go back and check i do this regular.

From what i gather a lot people that have the nintendo ds love it and if u fancy it go and get if u ask people on forums u will end up with negative comments and you will hesitate more in whether to buy or not.
    I have no doubt that the wii is a valuable aid in keeping the old grey matter in fine fettle but I feel that completing a newspaper crossword or even some puzzle books would work out a lot cheaper and with the same results.

i dunno what you want to go out and bye stuff when its on the computer for free lol try this if you wanna give your brain a workout its free and is probably as good as anything you can buy lol http://www.miniclip.com/games/en/brain-training.php
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

Kismet Guest

Thumbs up

I used to use brain training for the DS and enjoyed it it did not take me long per day and with regular use it certainly did work. I was borrowing someone elses and will be buying my own DS and buying "brain training" and "more brain training" as soon as I can afford one lol

Kismet Guest

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    i dunno what you want to go out and bye stuff when its on the computer for free lol try this if you wanna give your brain a workout its free and is probably as good as anything you can buy lol http://www.miniclip.com/games/en/brain-training.php

In the meantime thanks for this page just had a look and looks great. Will still buy brain training though

Default Brain training

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    I used to use brain training for the DS and enjoyed it it did not take me long per day and with regular use it certainly did work. I was borrowing someone elses and will be buying my own DS and buying "brain training" and "more brain training" as soon as I can afford one lol.
    I borrowed one of someone as well ,but cant remember who
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I use my sons brain training on the DS and I have found a good improvement!It takes minutes everyday and really is helpful x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

I hate to ask but what is a DS? And that is a genuine question.....

I'm not sure if these game thingies will help; ok you get better at doing puzzles but does it really help you in everyday life?

I think you have to have a certain way of thinking to do some of these things like anagrams. My late mother-in-law was a wizard at crosswords, anagrams and such like and she tried to explain to me how they worked but even when she gave me the answer it was still a case of "I don't get it".

Single words where you have to unscramble the letters are ok but it is when there is a nonsense sentence which is supposed to mean something when you dissect it that I lose the plot! And I don't see how that will help me in everyday life where I have to remember things in the real world.

I have a brain, it's just it works in a funny way.....

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    thanks for this....im going to give it a go

I buy a daily paper and do most of the puzzles in it - crossword, codebreaker, wordfinder, sudoku...

I have got much better and a good deal speedier at doing them, but I wonder if all that means is that with practice I've got better at doing puzzles....

If you see what I mean....!!

My short term memory is quite dreadful and I do rely very heavily on lists and reminders. Though folk kindly tell me I don't really ramble, I know I do wander off in a stream of consciousness sort of way that reminds me a lot of my mother...

I've just recently started a short OU course on 'Writing Family History' and all I can say is that I really do wish that I hadn't signed up for it....it almost certainly requires a brain...

Kismet Guest

I hate to ask but what is a DS? And that is a genuine question.....

I'm not sure if these game thingies will help; ok you get better at doing puzzles but does it really help you in everyday life?

I think you have to have a certain way of thinking to do some of these things like anagrams. My late mother-in-law was a wizard at crosswords, anagrams and such like and she tried to explain to me how they worked but even when she gave me the answer it was still a case of "I don't get it".

Single words where you have to unscramble the letters are ok but it is when there is a nonsense sentence which is supposed to mean something when you dissect it that I lose the plot! And I don't see how that will help me in everyday life where I have to remember things in the real world.

I have a brain, it's just it works in a funny way.....
    A DS is a small handheld version of the consoles. I had a problem with my concentration etc due to illness and the "brain training" Was like remembering things, reading out loud, maths, observation etc etc and it marked a graph for you so you could actually see your improvements. I felt it helped it was not crosswords and anagrams more making you use the different parts of the brain. I am probably not explaining this very well hahahaha

http://www.joolopgames.com/category-...FQJFMAodc3UInw

I was a bit miffed to start as it tells you how old your brain is after a test and I was in my eighties, not impressed but ended up with an age younger than mine after a while hahaha
    Last edited by Kismet; 15-May-08 at 17:51. Reason: adding to

Thanks for that and you explained it very well! I shall try your link later tonight. If I do well you will hear from me, if not.....

Kismet Guest

Soz link is just to a site selling the game it explains a bit about the game lol

I do the same crosswords etc. every day and I do believe that you can improve with practice. I think you start to get into the compilers mind and see how it works. Give it a try

I bought 2 books back in '91 from Bews when I first moved to Thurso. One is called Improve Your Memory, the second Learn To Speed Read. 17 years later I still haven't tried them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast