Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Anyone speak Gaelic?

Default Anyone speak Gaelic?

We've just discovered, thanks to BT, that our new house actually has name - Tighchailein or possiblly Tigh Chailein.

OH thinks it means, roughly, 'Our House', but he's not certain. Anyone know?

We're probably not going to use it, because a) it's not the official Royal Mail address and b) neither of us speak Gaelic, so our pronunciation is likely to irritate anyone who does (though I'd like to learn), but it would be nice to know what it means.

(Removal men arrive 2 weeks today and I have a grand total of 10 boxes packed - help!)

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    We've just discovered, thanks to BT, that our new house actually has name - Tighchailein or possiblly Tigh Chailein.

OH thinks it means, roughly, 'Our House', but he's not certain. Anyone know?

We're probably not going to use it, because a) it's not the official Royal Mail address and b) neither of us speak Gaelic, so our pronunciation is likely to irritate anyone who does (though I'd like to learn), but it would be nice to know what it means.

(Removal men arrive 2 weeks today and I have a grand total of 10 boxes packed - help!)
    To make it 'official', all you have to do is tell the Post Office that is what your house is known as.

Hi...

I reckon it means 'House of our Youth' or the 'House of Colin' - Colin means young warrior in Gaelic, I think!

It is pronounced 'tie chalien' (as in 'ch' in loch + alien)

Hope that helps...someone correct me if I'm wrong

AC
    Last edited by Andrew C; 15-May-08 at 15:04. Reason: added pronunciation
    Is ì ’n dàs ìs truìme ìs ìsle ’chromas a ceann. - The heaviest ear of corn bends its head the lowest.

Thank you both