Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you help?

Default can you help?

can someone tell me why some of us have green boxes, others blue and a few have red?? its just under our posts??

If you hover the mouse over the boxes, there are some words that come up, although I have no idea what they mean or where they come from.

I think it might be to do with our 'reputation' as a poster.
    Last edited by Sandra; 12-Nov-05 at 00:29.

Thanks Sandra, I was wondering too.

thanks sandra that was interesting, i was thinking red card was a warning for bad posts, it just letting us know they have had a shameful past tut!tut!

Niall explained a bit about this on the "Special" forum in answer to a couple of posts from me:-
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4255&page=2
    More on page 3. Very interesting! I've only spotted one "red reputation" on the board so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Niall explained a bit about this on the "Special" forum in answer to a couple of posts from me:-
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=4255&page=2
    More on page 3. Very interesting! I've only spotted one "red reputation" on the board so far.
    Look harder, I have a "red reputation" too.

But I don't mind, it doesen't bother me if the people who run this forum consider me a second class citizen. It doesn't bother me being tried, found guilty and sentenced without even being told what crime I'm supposed to have committed. I don't mind having to wear a badge of disgrace so everyone can see that I'm not to be trusted.
    Last edited by fred; 12-Nov-05 at 10:43.

Thanks Fred, im glad to see someone feels the same way I do.
    I have only been on here a couple of days but already seem to have a bit of a reputation. Why, because I am straight to the point instead of posting pages and pages of jargon that no normal person can be bothered to read anyway.
    I have been accused of being stupid and ignorant but i can assure you I am neither of these!!
    I dont think anyone has the right to call anyone stupid! We are all clever on different levels.
    Maybe my sense of humor does not appael to certain others but I do not expect it to. It would be a pretty boring world if we all shared the same opinions.
    I think we are all entitled to our opinions...... whether others like it or not!

There are cartain people on here who think they are more inteligent than others because of their use of big words. Personally I dont think that calling other people stupid is clever at all.
    There is one thing these inteligent people are lacking, something wich I do have and its a bit of common sense!!!!!!!!
    Common sense tells me that you shouldn't sit here for ten to fifteen hours a day insulting people who were born and bred in this county.
    I am proud of my Caithness accent and wouldn't change it for anything and by the way these inteligent first class citizens act, I am also glad I am one of the second class citizens!

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    Look harder, I have a "red reputation" too.

But I don't mind, it doesen't bother me if the people who run this forum consider me a second class citizen. It doesn't bother me being tried, found guilty and sentenced without even being told what crime I'm supposed to have committed. I don't mind having to wear a badge of disgrace so everyone can see that I'm not to be trusted.
    So you have Fred - you must have picked this up over the past week - I am sure your "reputation" was intact the last time I looked Never mind - maybe it's better to have had a little shameless behaviour in the past & gained a reputation than to be an "unknown quantity" like me - lol.

Quote Originally Posted by twee dledum
    Thanks Fred, im glad to see someone feels the same way I do.
    I can't think what I can have done to deserve it, I just speak out against injustice where I see it and try to help people wherever I can, I never expected a kick in the teeth for it.

Cool Re: Whats the boxes for?

Bit Orwellian what with coloured boxes, junior/senior members etc, is this a conspiracy theory?

Ciao,

Dave the Rave

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    I can't think what I can have done to deserve it, I just speak out against injustice where I see it and try to help people wherever I can, I never expected a kick in the teeth for it.
    fred i also like to speak my mind, voice my opinion, but i am a little confused as to what we can/can't say i have not noticed anything out of place you have said to earn a reputation,, there are a few on here who have been down right cheeky, calling others stupid & thick. i am confused as to why they are on green cards. maybe soon i will be joining you on a red card too! some people can't take others opinions.

Theres no doubt about that Geezer. Seems you have to be above a certain IQ to post on here. It seems to be ok to be cheeky and horrible to people as long as you choose your words carfully otherwise. But im afraid i'd rather be straight to the point too and its a bit tough if others dont like it.

Default In Support of Fred (maybe) Red Marks

Hi Fred

On the old message board I goofed big style by putting in things like **$" to create a swear word without actually saying it.
    I was barred from the forum for doing this. I was unaware of this using dingbats or symbols rule but upon reading the small print it was there....I had broken the rules.
    As it was what I considered a minor infringement and a genuine mistake, I apologised to the moderator, he accepted my apology and my reassurrance it would not happen again and was reinstated.
    Fred, think back to what you have "said". If you had been really naughty you would now be "Sent to Coventry" by the moderator. (Maybe you said something in the chatroom).
    I am sure it is nothing to do with you being a second class of citizen as been suggested.
    Everyone on the forum is entitled to their own opinion, if someone disagrees with a point, someone else can put forward their views, opinions, thoughts etc without being rude to the other people in the forum.

I think maybe some people take things a bit too personally.
    sometimes its not actually what is said that is the problem it is how it is perceived that causes the friction!

people say anything ,but forget about their prayers

The difficulty with online messageboards, is that anything you say can be taken out of context, or taken personally by others. You cannot see the other posters body language or hear their tone, so you cannot see if they are angry, happy, upset or sad, or whether what they are posting is meant as a joke, or if they are being serious.

What one person may see as a hilarious joke, others may see it as unfunny, insensitive or downright sick. There is a time and place for humour, and you have to be very careful where you post your joke.

What one person may see as a personal opinion, others may see as a personal insult!

The whole point of moderated forums is so you can have an informed discussion with others, express your own views and opinions, without being made to feel a fool, without being rude and offensive, and without being threatened or insulted by others. The moderators are there to remove such offensive posts and suspend offending members.

Ooops well I got a red square straight away and thought I was the only one, until i noticed the other day that there are a few red squares and one even has about five for the one person. Crumbs that person must have committed an extremely serious boo boo!

You're right about things being taken the wrong way. Alot of my comments have been taken out of the context thay were meant in, maybe thats my fault for not being a bit more sensitive. I will try to learn!!!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Thumbs down

if you find yourself on a thread you find distasteful, simply get back out as quick as you went in, simple.
    that would then save pages of people throwing insults, or just butting in to insult. arguing like playground kiddies, its a joke!!!

If you look along the blue bar you will see a small icon like :

Clicking on this icon allows anyone to leave a reputation mark for a post made by any user. If your own reputation is over a certain level your marks can affect the level of another's reputation. If you decide to leave a comment as well, only the user commented on (and the admins) will be able to see it.

The levels of reputation start out the same for all users with the following exception, users who have been on the boards for a very long time and have a high number of posts have slightly higher alteration abilities, ie all users with the basic reputation level can affect another reputation by 1 point. More senior (not in age) users may affect another by 3 or 4 points depending on how senior they are.

So I hope that at least you realise that these marks are nothing to do with how the admins/mods see you, its your fellow users that leave the marks.

I find it very funny that the first to get the blame for being "big brother" is me, perhaps if some people took the time to ask me what a feature was before "telling" me its being used to persecute them a lot of confusion would be saved.

If I, or any other admin/mod ever have a comment to make to a user, it'll be by PM or e-mail.

It is not the owners of the forum that gives you your reputation, It is open to use by all the users, To add to someones reputation all you do is click on the Justice scale symbol at the top right of the post you want to rate. You can leave little comments too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast