Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone lost 2 black dogs, possibly scotties?

Exclamation Has anyone lost 2 black dogs, possibly scotties?

Hi 2 black dogs, think they are scotties, are roaming around lose out at hempriggs, i tried catching them but they ran away, they are easily getting thru fences and are heading in towards the castle of Old Wick. If you live around there please look out for them. I hope someone can catch these poor things quite soon as its freezing out there and they must be soaking wet.

Does anyone know the number for the dog warden so i could possibly contact her to let her know.

thanks

Hi,

I think the number for the Dog Warden is 01955 607737, but I don't think you will be able to contact them today.

The number for SSPCA is 01847 861386 - maybe they can help?

Default scotties

hi thanks for that, spoke to SSPCA and they belong to the ********** so they seem to heading in the right direction of home!!!!

thanks again
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 04-Apr-08 at 00:41.

Saw 5 (! ) Dogs; including two of similar description wandering literally on the A99 near Hempriggs this morning -causing all sorts of problems with traffic in either direction. Dogs had no road sense whatsoever and if car drivers had not been on the ball there was potential for a serious accident. Very sad and worrying for the poor dogs and scary from the point of view of motorists. If these are the same dogs, the owners seriously need to look at taking measures to prevent a tragedy. IF they are not concerned about the welfare of the dogs perhaps they should take on board the fact that they would be held legally responsible for any personal injury and damage to property should they cause an acccident. Can't help but feel sorry for the Poor dogs .

Angry

You should report this to the Dog Warden or SSPCA.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

as one of the owners is very ill the other has to look after him so can not go running after dogs who dont normaly leave the farm

Sorry to hear that the family who may own the dogs have problems, but things will be 100 times worse if something awful happens to either the dogs or to an innocent motorist as a result of the dogs not being under control.
    Would not want to make things anymore difficult for this family than they already have to cope with though. If help is needed I'm sure there are individuals and organisations who would help . So any ideas anyone? Is there anything we can do as a community to help ? Would the family want or welcome help or would they consider this to be an intrusion ?

I also am sorry that one of the owners is ill but the dogs cannot be left to roam. Surely someone could help with erecting a fence to keep them in?

I am sure it would be very stressful for the owner if these dogs caused an accident and they were held responsible?

If they are no longer fit to look after the dogs then they should contact the SSPCA.

These dogs were roaming long before the owner was ill.
    If the owners can't cope, the poor dogs should be rehomed with someone who will care for them properly.
    evelyn

Unhappy

Totally agree with you Evelyn!

If the owners cannot look after the dogs then they should find new homes for them!

binbob Guest

Thumbs down scotties

i really do not think being ill is an excuse for allowing any dogs to be running loose causing danger to themselves or anyone .
    i had a harrowing time with my own healt and my father being terminally ill with lung cancer...had 9 dogs then..and they were just as well cared then as they were before this happened.
    i think it is up to us to inform sspca/police/dog warden to prevent any thing bad happening.
    if someone can email me with the owners details ..adress,i will personally deal with it.
    if meantime ,can anyone catch the dogs and keep them until we get the officials on to it????

Angry

As the dogs were roaming before the owner became ill then that is exactly what it is. An excuse!

Still, as you rightly say Binbob, illness is no excuse anyway.
    I don't keep well but my pets always are, and always will be, my top priority.

If someone cannot look after their pets then they should not have them!

I will contact the dog warden. Binbob if you just tell the SSPCA whose dogs they are then that will be enough as they will know them.

I hope that when the dogs were on the road that someone called the police?!

binbob Guest

Default scotties

thanks liz....i will get in touch with the sspca.let me know[privately] if the dog warden gets a result,please.

i also hope the police were involved.
    i am sorry u also have health issues ,but like me ..pets are always kept safe and secure.
    it is not a good situation.

Have sent you a pm Binbob.

Default Dogs

The dog warden will not be available for a few weeks. Stray dogs are the remit of the Council and not the SSPCA. The centre at Balmore has the contract with the Council to house any stray dogs which the Council uplift.

binbob Guest

Default dogs

i think the responsibility lies with all of these agencies.
    the dogs are being neglected[sspca] they are running loose and causing possible dangers to themselves and other road users[dog warden...paid for by the council]
    and the police should also take responsibility ..re .the road issues.
    why is the dog warden not available for WEEKS???
    very strange...
    someone has to sort these poor animals out.the owners do not deserve them.the dogs deserve better.

I agree with Binbob, not having a go at the SSPCA, but it is a welfare issue if the dogs are able to escape on to a main road like that.
    Avoid biting when a simple growl will do

Default Dogs

This is not unusual for these dogs. They have killed many chickens and ducks up and around that area as well as disturbing sheep. Was reported again and again and nothing happened. Finally got two of them on a lead and phoned the police to come and get them the police picked them up and gave them back many a time. The is an outstanding matter and something has to be done about it.
    Last edited by wickchick; 02-Apr-08 at 22:13.

Default Dogs

Can I just clarify the SSPCA situation. Before the Inspector can remove any animal from a situation he/she must be able to proove that the animal is suffering. The Inspector must be able to get a vet to agree that the animals are suffering and be willing to stand up in court and say this. There are legal systems that the Inspector has to adhear to and he/she has to work within the law. I am almost positive that no vet in the country would be willing to get involved in this matter as technically the dogs are strays which is the responsibility of the Highland Council and the Police. Because the dogs seem to be in reasonable body condition, are not extremely thin, have no untreated sores or wounds, or not ill and have not had veterinary attention etc a vet would not be able to say they are suffering. The Dog Warden is off Sick

Hope someone can do something before there is an accident, don't know the "history" but no matter what it is some kind of action needs to be taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast