Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head lice

Default Head lice

Has anyone got any advice on head lice, nearly every week since the
    last 3 mths iv had to treat our kids for it. The worst thing is you not
    allowed to notify the schools anymore they just mention it in the
    school newsletter, some people are just not treating their kids for it
    so when i treat mine for it on a fri nite by mon, tues nite when they come home from school thev'e got it again, it really gets me down.

Any advice would really help. thanx

tea tree oil
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

my daughter got it last ester and it took forever to get rid off , unfortunatly treating it too often just won't help as they build up a resistance and most treatment effectivley kill off the live lice but not the eggs so they hatch out a few days later resulting in a new outbreak . i should stay away from full marks mouse as mouse doesn't tend to get into the hair aswell, i used deemac and lyclear. i now use lyclear sprayaway daily on her hair and unfortunatly shes never allowed to have it down for school , i wet comb every two days and always make sure i condition the hair aswell . its a horrible thing and i find most parents don't even check there childs hair even when they know its about , they figure that if the child isn't scratching they can't have it where only some people itch as its an allergic reaction and this can be up to a month after infestation . my advice is to wet comb daily just to ensure there are no eggs that are hatching etc then when shes completly clear keep it up regulary and talk top her about being careful of head to head contact . i would even phone some of her friends parents to let them know so they can check there child , the school might not tell anyone anymore but nothing stopping you from doing so as its nothing to be ashamed of .good luck .

p.s getting a good nit comb really helped , i got a long metal toothed one from co-op chemist much better than the white ones you get in the packets .
    Last edited by mums angels; 29-Feb-08 at 22:07.

We had this problem a couple of years ago,i will look and see if i can find the name of the lotion i found worked and kept them away.I know the only place i could get it then was tescos in inverness.It drove me mad that other people werent bothering

HEDRIN ......New product out...Based on an oil which drowns the lice and the eggs..Also makes it easier to comb out the offenders...To be repeated 2 weeks after first application...Can be got from Health Visitor if your children are under five, or any local chemist(boots has it)....

I also recomend every 2 days between apllications to go through the hair with conditioner and nit comb....

Mine still come home with them but this is the best way to get rid of them in the long run..Keeping on top of them....

It can be used on all ages as there are no chemicals that are harmful....

You are quite correct.It is so annoying when others dont do their childrens hair...have brought this up at my daughters school many times but it seems to go unoticed...But i soldier on with them......costs us a fortune as most of the time we buy it, but i will get from HV if need be....
    Last edited by justine; 29-Feb-08 at 22:08.

Quite a few years ago now i was driven mad by the neep coming home with them from shool, same cycle, clear them up and then a couple of weeks later infested again. i went through everything i could find in the chemist and from the doctor, and out of sheer desperation i used bob martins flea killer shampoo on her as i had just de--flead the dogs, it flipping well worked too

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    HEDRIN ......New product out...Based on an oil which drowns the lice and the eggs..Also makes it easier to comb out the offenders...To be repeated 2 weeks after first application...Can be got from Health Visitor if your children are under five, or any local chemist(boots has it)....

I also recomend every 2 days between apllications to go through the hair with conditioner and nit comb....

Mine still come home with them but this is the best way to get rid of them in the long run..Keeping on top of them....

It can be used on all ages as there are no chemicals that are harmful....

You are quite correct.It is so annoying when others dont do their childrens hair...have brought this up at my daughters school many times but it seems to go unoticed...But i soldier on with them......costs us a fortune as most of the time we buy it, but i will get from HV if need be....

that reminds me that you can get lice treatment free under the minor ailments system which is for all children no matter what age ,you get the one the chemist recommends .

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    Quite a few years ago now i was driven mad by the neep coming home with them from shool, same cycle, clear them up and then a couple of weeks later infested again. i went through everything i could find in the chemist and from the doctor, and out of sheer desperation i used bob martins flea killer shampoo on her as i had just de--flead the dogs, it flipping well worked too

did that damage her hair ? i got very tempted last year to do something similar but was to scared to incase it went wrong LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mums angels View Post
    did that damage her hair ? i got very tempted last year to do something similar but was to scared to incase it went wrong LOL
    to be perfectly honest no it didn't! she smelled nice, it shined and it was really soft too, i was quite amazed.

Had this problem down south and none of the chemist over the counter lotions were working, the lice were resistant to it. I found an online herbal oil (sorry can't remember the name but has neem oil in it) and it really worked. Left in on the hair for 20 mins and even the eggs combed out. Followed up with combing with a nitti gritti comb every other day for several weeks and got rid of them.

Like you, my daughter had them for 3 months and it drove me insane! Also got very annoyed with parents that I knew were not bothering to treat their children. Also was spending £40 a month as the whole family has to be treated every time. Using tea tree works too as a preventative. Good luck.

I have used every treatment available as my daughter was continually being reinfested at school.

I went to my doctor and asked for Carbaryl, it's like a last resort treatment and can be prescribed if all other avenues have been tried. This was the one treatment that finally got rid of the lice. She has since moved schools so the contact with the infested child is no longer a problem, it's just cruel to think that a parent doesn't do anything to get rid of their kids lice.

We also have a nitty gritty comb (they can be bought online and I am sure you can get it free from somewhere)

We use tea tree shampoo now, it's a natural repellent. A good repellent spray used daily also helps.

I also used to regularly leave her hairbrush in the freezer overnight, I know lice aren't supposed to live off the human body for more than a few hours but the ones we had were extremely resistant.

The school nurse also advised that one of the best home treatments was to leave Dove conditioner on the hair for at least two hours then rinse off, apparently that is just as effective as any over-the-counter lice product.
    Last edited by Julia; 29-Feb-08 at 22:21.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

thats the nitty gritty comb i got from co-op chemist for free in Thurso , its great for checking the hair and when she had it last year it was the one that helped get rid of the beasties once and for all .

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    I have used every treatment available as my daughter was continually being reinfested at school.

I went to my doctor and asked for Carbaryl, it's like a last resort treatment and can be prescribed if all other avenues have been tried. This was the one treatment that finally got rid of the lice. She has since moved schools so the contact with the infested child is no longer a problem, it's just cruel to think that a parent doesn't do anything to get rid of their kids lice.

We also have a nitty gritty comb (they can be bought online and I am sure you can get it free from somewhere)

We use tea tree shampoo now, it's a natural repellent. A good repellent spray used daily also helps.

I also used to regularly leave her hairbrush in the freezer overnight, I know lice aren't supposed to live off the human body for more than a few hours but the ones we had were extremely resistant.

The school nurse also advised that one of the best home treatments was to leave Dove conditioner on the hair for at least two hours then rinse off, apparently that is just as effective as any over-the-counter lice product.

thank you everyone for your comments i will def try a few of them out

Cheers

my kids caught them at school a few years ago and it took me months to get rid of them but so far they havent come back. i wash their hair in tea tree shampoo every other night just to make sure we keep the little pests away. my got im itching just thinking about it.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn Monroe

I would agree with the others who said get a nitty gritty comb, they're excellent and I think there's a lifetime guarantee on them, so if you manage to break it, they'll replace it.
    Comb every day for two weeks using conditioner, I use a little serum (for frizzy hair) as well.
    The nitty gritty site has a lot of info as well as selling the combs.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Don't forget that your kid doesn't have to go to school to get re-infested. You have to wash pillowcases, towels etc the child has used - a little bleach in the wash is a good idea. Oh and you had better have the kid check *your* head - the source of re-infestation might be you!

I had head lice when I was six. My Mother noticed me scratching my head constantly at a Ballet performance of my older sister. I was not just baffled by the antics on stage - my head was crawling with the little beggars. A powerful chemical concoction saw them off....the Ballet troupe continued for several more years.

The lotions and shampoos that our parents used on us worked a treat, that's because they contained malathion. They're not allowed to use it any more.
    No fair
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Some of the chemicals nowadays are very strong and it would not be healthy for your child to be overly exposed to such pesticides. After the maximum treatments, switch over to herbal remedies. Picking out every single nit is important, as is laundering every possible thing and bagging up stuffed animals and such things which cannot be laundered. Good luck and try to think of it as quality time spent with your child.

I recall being dangled by my ankles into a vat of DDT.
    It was 1957 after all...and I'm sure it didn't do me any harm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast