Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: big metal balls

router Guest

Default big metal balls

yesterday myself and my oh went for a drive up to Dunnet head and i noticed on the the way back at a couple of run down buildings what looked like rusty brown metal balls these were differant sizes about say 12inches to about 2 foot,does anyone know what these are?are they buoys of some type or something to do with fishing?

Default Rusty balls

I went out their for a ride out and came back through Skirza, Didnt see any rusty balls though. We did however enjoy our ride out.

Old net floats?....

router Guest

well that's what i thought they appear to have a hole through the middle for a rope or the like.........

router Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I went out their for a ride out and came back through Skirza, Didnt see any rusty balls though. We did however enjoy our ride out.
    we had a good day out too,,,coutryside and coast line is amazing,,finished with a meal at the school house restaurant in john o'groats...mmmmmmmmmm! lovely

Could be signalling balls that might have been used at airfields or lighthouses.

Winch em up and down a mast.

Probably fishing gear - bobbins from the groundrope of a bottom trawl. They roll along the seabed as the trawl is dragged.

router Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r.rackstraw View Post
    Probably fishing gear - bobbins from the groundrope of a bottom trawl. They roll along the seabed as the trawl is dragged.
    bang on, cheers for that ,,it's exactly what they are.put steel bobbins in search engine found company that sells them....