Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The spirit/atmosphere of Caithness

Default The spirit/atmosphere of Caithness

Is there one place in the whole county which just sums up the atmosphere and/or spirit of Caithness for you?

Maybe it's a place which evokes personal memories? Or maybe it's a place which speaks of ancient battles and sparse living?
    Or maybe it's just e local pub!

Please tell us your special place in Caithness.

Sitting on the bench above Keiss harbour on a warm summers evening. Or even sat on the harbour wall.

No breeze, stunning views, watching the lads out at the creels or just kicking back and having the craic with anyone working on their boat or just mooching around.

Sitting at the trinkie on a bonny day watching the world go by.

Sitting on a bench on the Victoria Walk on Midsummer evening and watching the sunset between Holburn Head and the Island of Hoy, then spotting a 4 masted sailing ship in full sail sail out of the Firth into the Atlantic.
    A memory I will cherish forever, and typifies, to me anyway, the beauty and atmosphere of Caithness which can happen when you least expect it.
    I forgot to add this was at 23.30 and the Sun was disappearing into the sea, we, Mrs G and I sat in silence for over 20 mins watching this.
    Last edited by golach; 21-Feb-08 at 15:15.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Sitting at the trinkie on a bonny day watching the world go by.
    absolutely, first place I head to when I come home (providing it isna a gale) then if it is I sit in the car. Never ever tire of that view, miss is amazingly.
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

Being an out of towner who moved here i have to say all of it..The views are spectacular..The atmosphere is great and the air is clean..I coudl not imagine ever living in a built up city..Thanks for the beauitful scottish highlands....

If they could separate us from England and tow us to the med that would be grand.

If they could separate us from England and tow us to the med that would be grand.
    strange as you seem to back a english company.....Maybe you should move to the med if you feel this way........

It wouldn't be Caithness then, it would just be somewhere sunny. Caithness is known for it's lovely scenery and nice cooling breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    strange as you seem to back a english company.....Maybe you should move to the med if you feel this way........
    That's a different thread Justine. I just think Scotland's scenery would go well with the weather in the med that's all, don't be so paranoid.

That's a different thread Justine. I just think Scotland's scenery would go well with the weather in the med that's all, don't be so paranoid.

I aint paranoid,just observent.........

I would agree with Golach on the Victoria Walk and down the steps along the Esplanade, round by the Harbour and along to Old St Peters Kirk. Shore Street also reminds me of times gone by –I think it is just the Turnpike. When home I usually take a trip out to Dunnet Head, the views from there are fantastic.
    For me however the best places to appreciate Caithness from is the sea, the coast is simply magnificent, and humbling to think of the forces it has withstood and the time it has been there.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy View Post
    I would agree with Golach on the Victoria Walk and down the steps along the Esplanade, round by the Harbour and along to Old St Peters Kirk. Shore Street also reminds me of times gone by –I think it is just the Turnpike. When home I usually take a trip out to Dunnet Head, the views from there are fantastic.
    For me however the best places to appreciate Caithness from is the sea, the coast is simply magnificent, and humbling to think of the forces it has withstood and the time it has been there.

My favourite as well Could not of said it better I used to look out on Thurso Bay when I lived there and could watch the sea for hours always looked different
    Its nice to be nice

Anywhere is beautiful in caithness as far as im concerned, but i must admit i do like Dunbeath, it just has the edge for me . jan x
    computer says no ........

There are a few places, but they're mainly imaginary: good times in long-forgotten places.

As golach said, the view over the bay from the Vic is just great and a personal favourite of mine.

I also agree with scotsboy about the Shore Street, Harbour, Old St Peters and the Esplanade trip.

Both me and my pooch like a walk along any of the Caithness beaches, any type of weather will do for a beach walk.
    He has a profound respect for old age. Especially when it's bottled.
    Gene Fowler

the walk from my Mams house to Thurso East on a sunny day, then over the harbour to the Kirk, before ending with a stroll along the beach, thats what i miss about Caithness (not talking about family of course!!)

Up to Lady Janets seat and beyond up to the old Murkle "secret" base (I always check for X-file type activity...never seen any yet) and back by Harolds Tower.

The windswept beaches on a sunny Caithness day...

...then the brief downpour and back to the car...

Default I have to confess..........

After 20 years living in Caithness I've never been to the trinkie. Tell me where it is someone and I'll go.

Anyway, for me it's anywhere out of town when it's still and there's that beautiful golden light over everything in the evening and the midgies aren't out and about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast