Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the world a safer place without the net

Default Is the world a safer place without the net

If the internet was stopped worldwide, would the world be a safer place? Now i know the WWW is handy for most people, whether its for shopping, communicating, information etc etc but crime does exist big time on the web, eg - paedophiles, drug traffiic on the net, terrorist communication, the list is endless. Even blog websites have there own problems like bebo, youtube, myspace. I honestly think if the internet was stopped, the world would be a better and safer place.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear1873 View Post
    If the internet was stopped worldwide, would the world be a safer place? Now i know the WWW is handy for most people, whether its for shopping, communicating, information etc etc but crime does exist big time on the web, eg - paedophiles, drug traffiic on the net, terrorist communication, the list is endless. Even blog websites have there own problems like bebo, youtube, myspace. I honestly think if the internet was stopped, the world would be a better and safer place.
    Oh come on.even without the internet.the world will never be a safe place to live anymore.It is not the computers fault just the disgusting immoral people who use it for that kind of theing.They should all be put up against a wall and shot....
    With all the stabbings and shootings that go on, they dont use the internet.Maybe for that one we3 could blame video games again.Sorry but having a bad day and no it will never be a safe wonderfull place to be anymore...........

understand what your saying, but i would be lost without it now...watched that detective show from mars the other week whare the guy wakes up in the seventies..with no internet no mob phones ect ect and it got me to thinking would i like to go back to then, it all seemed a more innocent time...
    has all this high teck made life so ruthless...
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by ciderally View Post
    understand what your saying, but i would be lost without it now...watched that detective show from mars the other week whare the guy wakes up in the seventies..with no internet no mob phones ect ect and it got me to thinking would i like to go back to then, it all seemed a more innocent time...
    has all this high teck made life so ruthless...
    can agrre with that. The seventies were safer.I mean we had crime and there was alot of things got brushed under the carpet but i loved being there.pity we cant go back in time..........

Well you had better kiss goodbye to the US Military, MOD, MI5, MI5, CIA, and GCHQ then.

And the BT helpline, that wont work either

Oh, and teh org MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

The world would be a safer place without a lot of things. However, I'd say it was people who were the problem and not necessarily the things. It takes a person to abuse a thing.
    Is ì ’n dàs ìs truìme ìs ìsle ’chromas a ceann. - The heaviest ear of corn bends its head the lowest.

no way man the world would b a lot worse of without it

Quote Originally Posted by justine View Post
    Oh come on.even without the internet.the world will never be a safe place to live anymore.It is not the computers fault just the disgusting immoral people who use it for that kind of theing.They should all be put up against a wall and shot....
    With all the stabbings and shootings that go on, they dont use the internet.Maybe for that one we3 could blame video games again.Sorry but having a bad day and no it will never be a safe wonderfull place to be anymore...........
    Yes i understand the world will never be safe without the net. There was crimes and other problems before the WWW came along. Take a look at terrorism for example, personally in my point of view they use the net for a big purpose in there terrorism act. But you do have to admit, without the net i think the world would have a better society in a whole.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

karia Guest

Of course the Internet makes the world safer....take my broadband connection away and you will see a much more dangerous society almost instantly

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew C View Post
    It takes a person to abuse a thing.
    Wise words indeed. The internet is merely a stage for people to use or abuse. In my humble opinion, there are a lot more people using it sensibly than abusing it. The problem isn't the internet, its the abusers.
    Don't just say it - do it!!!

The internet merely spreads thoughts, ideals and information a lot quicker than we could before. Banning the spread of information by a certain medium wouldn't make that much difference. You could use the same argument for telephones.
    In fact, the same argument was used to try and ban the free press in Britain and elsewhere in the C16th and C17th. And plays.

It may slow down say, 'terrorists', but by the same measure, it would slow down any attempts to track them down as well.

Seventies safer? My arse they were! Guildford bombs? Birmingham bombs? Ripper? Baader Meinhof? The whole of Northern Ireland? Slums? Economy on it's knees? Sexual discrimination on a massive scale? Unimaginable racism compared to today? Vietnam? Cold War? Union agitation in the workplace?

'Knowing your place' in society? Getting your head kicked in on a Saturday night in West Yorkshire town centres that are now safer than they ever were in the 70's?

You can stick the seventies where the sun doesn't shine. - Which would be back in the seventies, due to the fog........

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew C View Post
    It takes a person to abuse a thing.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Who's phenomenal? ...I am!

The world has never been safe with or without the internet.

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    The world has never been safe with or without the internet.
    It is doomed we are and ever was it thus!

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    It is doomed we are and ever was it thus!
    I wouldn't say we are doomed but blaming lifes ills on intangible networks is not going to lead us on our way to enlightenment Grasshopper.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    The internet merely spreads thoughts, ideals and information a lot quicker than we could before. Banning the spread of information by a certain medium wouldn't make that much difference. You could use the same argument for telephones.
    In fact, the same argument was used to try and ban the free press in Britain and elsewhere in the C16th and C17th. And plays.

It may slow down say, 'terrorists', but by the same measure, it would slow down any attempts to track them down as well.

Seventies safer? My arse they were! Guildford bombs? Birmingham bombs? Ripper? Baader Meinhof? The whole of Northern Ireland? Slums? Economy on it's knees? Sexual discrimination on a massive scale? Unimaginable racism compared to today? Vietnam? Cold War? Union agitation in the workplace?

'Knowing your place' in society? Getting your head kicked in on a Saturday night in West Yorkshire town centres that are now safer than they ever were in the 70's?

You can stick the seventies where the sun doesn't shine. - Which would be back in the seventies, due to the fog........

A lot of people think about this in relation to child abuse and child murders - absolutely no evidence that this has increased over the last 50 years - just gets a lot more publicity, which makes people more anxious about it. Over protecting our kids and failing to teach them to judge risks for themselves or make independent decisions they are prepared to take responsibility for are much more real and widespread risks.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneylass View Post
    A lot of people think about this in relation to child abuse and child murders - absolutely no evidence that this has increased over the last 50 years - just gets a lot more publicity, which makes people more anxious about it. Over protecting our kids and failing to teach them to judge risks for themselves or make independent decisions they are prepared to take responsibility for are much more real and widespread risks.
    Agree totally. More info = greater perceived threat due to more instances coming to light.

Predators exist -fact,the net may help them target a few BUT it also helps make others aware of the risks! x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

As my mother once said."Meet yer neighbours and say Hello.Don't worry about the rest of the streets they will look after themselves".The internet a worry.No chance.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

karia Guest

With the obvious exclusion of abusive situations...would we want a totally safe world?

What about challenges and boundaries to push, creativity etc?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast