Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Accommodation

Default Accommodation

My wife and I are coming to Wick, in May, from Australia. She wants to find her grandmothers old school and house.

would appreciate any advice on finding school records, and advice on place to stay overnight, one night.

Thumbs up

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/...sidewick.co.uk

Give Brenda a ring; it's a great place to stay and she knows a lot of local information.....

Great. Thanks for that, I just might give her a call.

Cheers.

It would be worth contacting and visiting The Wick Heritage Centre. You should also check the records that are stored upstairs at the Wick Library.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Tristan. Will do, but only have a short time in Wick, so I need to contact someone with the knowledge, prior to coming over.Would like to spend what little time I have to see your wonderful area( looks great in the pictures)

If you contact them they should be able to help.
    Which school is/was it? If you know the name of the school there are some good links to new and old schools here http://www.caithness.org/community/education. In addition there may be people on the site who can help.
    Last edited by Tristan; 14-Feb-08 at 12:19.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Perhaps if you gave the name of your wifes grandmother and where she lived it may help, I'm sure someone would pick it up from there. A good place to stay overnight is probably Mackay's Hotel, but there are good bed and breakfasts in the town.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

My wife's grandother's name was Charlotte Service, born at Keiss in 1911, and emigrated to Australia in 1926. Her fathers name was George Service and mother was Jessie Service (Gunn).

Maybe if I could find out the names of schools operating then, it would be helpful.

try the mackays hotel wick and for records try the puplic libriary wick........

Quote Originally Posted by hoadster View Post
    My wife and I are coming to Wick, in May, from Australia. She wants to find her grandmothers old school and house.

would appreciate any advice on finding school records, and advice on place to stay overnight, one night.
    Hi, Hoadster i would definately try Quayside. Bob & Brenda ,1st class. and the library is just a short walk away + the heritage centre is just up the road.
    Good luck with your search im sure you will find what your looking for as your not going back that awfully far. johno.