Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning Travelling salesmen

Exclamation Warning Travelling salesmen

Warning re the numerous travelling salesmen currently parked in the whole of the Somerfield carpark, Wick

Just arrived at my door selling plasma TVs and such like. Very pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to get a good deal. £650 for the TV. You can buy it online £535 with warranty. Most importantly though, all the boxes are open and they are "refurbished" rentals meaning they will have less than a half life anyway. It is your legal right to ask to see thir "pedlars certificates" but don't worry. They don't have any!!

Another thing of note is that if they turn up at your door make sure you chase them off before they can be found wandering around your garden "looking to see if your in" and you find your heating oil tank empty or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by dook View Post
    Warning re the numerous travelling salesmen currently parked in the whole of the Somerfield carpark, Wick

Just arrived at my door selling plasma TVs and such like. Very pushy and wouldn't take no for an answer. Don't be fooled into thinking you are going to get a good deal. £650 for the TV. You can buy it online £535 with warranty. Most importantly though, all the boxes are open and they are "refurbished" rentals meaning they will have less than a half life anyway. It is your legal right to ask to see thir "pedlars certificates" but don't worry. They don't have any!!

Another thing of note is that if they turn up at your door make sure you chase them off before they can be found wandering around your garden "looking to see if your in" and you find your heating oil tank empty or worse.
    They were just leaving the shop where i work when i went in this evening. They tried to sell the boss a 42" lcd tv for £580, he told them he had a big screen telly but they kept at him. Brought the price down to £550 then as they were getting nowhere, £450. he tried to put them off by saying he would need to talk to his wife. Still pushing it, they left the tv with him and said they would be back in an hour. Needless to say, the boss plugged the tv in and it was working fine(surprise, surprise) Anyway, when they came back they were'nt best pleased when he said, his wife said no as well(he did'nt phone her) they said Okay! you win £350 and it's yours. He still said no and they were'nt too chuffed at all when i saw them leaving the shop. In fact they dumped the telly into the back of their car.

you boss is lucky they didn't try to say that he busted it when they went away.
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by nanoo View Post
    They were just leaving the shop where i work when i went in this evening. They tried to sell the boss a 42" lcd tv for £580, he told them he had a big screen telly but they kept at him. Brought the price down to £550 then as they were getting nowhere, £450. he tried to put them off by saying he would need to talk to his wife. Still pushing it, they left the tv with him and said they would be back in an hour. Needless to say, the boss plugged the tv in and it was working fine(surprise, surprise) Anyway, when they came back they were'nt best pleased when he said, his wife said no as well(he did'nt phone her) they said Okay! you win £350 and it's yours. He still said no and they were'nt too chuffed at all when i saw them leaving the shop. In fact they dumped the telly into the back of their car.
    Yeah. They're total nightmares but must be doing something right. Brand new motorhomes, Landrover Discovery 3's, transits etc etc etc. Was looking on the BBC news site and Edinburgh Police stopped them and got trading standards to rook them. Highland Constabulary has done the same on travellers in Inverness. Taking money from hard workin folk, really sticks in ma craw!! Travellers, not trading standards that is.

The worst thing you can do is try to politely side-step the issue. As Nanoo has pointed out, all they will do is see this as a weakness and home in on it.

If they hassle 20 people a day and take one taker for their schnide gear - they've won.

Why are the police not moving them out of the car park?

Probably down to human rights and moving on itinerate travellers.

But they're going to end up making a mess of the place. It's heading that way already. They have no right trying to sell false goods to people so what right do they have taking up the Somerfield car park and possibly not disposing of their rubbish properly?

Where's a decent far-right government when you need one?

A few 'Das Reich' panzers would sort it.

I would have of expected Somerfields to have asked them to leave or isn't it their car park?

they have to be breaking a law before the police can move them on ...............

Quote Originally Posted by dook View Post
    I would have of expected Somerfields to have asked them to leave or isn't it their car park?
    The car park belongs to the council and i'm sure the council probably have some red tape stopping them from movin them on, of course thats all that'll happen eventually as they just move from place to place!!
    Think its ridiculous hard selling stuff, something should be done about it, i'm sure there paying there council tax etc!! !! !!
    Its all good!!!
    It'l soon be Friday!! !!

Smile breaking the law

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    they have to be breaking a law before the police can move them on ...............
    to break the law ' have a car . walk alone . speak to a police man' do not rock the boat . the law is how you wish it used.

Quote Originally Posted by nanoo View Post
    my mate knocked em down to £300 before he chased them.
    as for moving them, the car park has a sign saying no buses ,no overnight parking/camping. im sure.
    but if you move them from one place they,ll just go to another. solve one problem ,create another..
    Last edited by johno; 05-Feb-08 at 10:37.

these people really get on my nerves.they pay no tax probably get dole money pay no rent or council tax. and us muppets who work hard have to pay for them. i say chase them out of town before they decide they like it here and make somerfield car park their permanent home.there is one word for people like this,leeches.
    "One more round Micky"

Ah, hubby bumped into these guys yeasterday in the village. They tried to sell him a 42" plasma for 500 quid but he told him he didn';t want one. Most persistant they were so he told em where to shove it. lol. Worked!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by dandod View Post
    these people really get on my nerves.they pay no tax probably get dole money pay no rent or council tax. and us muppets who work hard have to pay for them. i say chase them out of town before they decide they like it here and make somerfield car park their permanent home.there is one word for people like this,leeches.
    Well nobody is being forced into buying anything. Just politely say no thanks and shut yer door, same as you do to Jehova Witnesses ! If everyone did this they would leave as obviously there will be no point in them hanging around will there !

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Well nobody is being forced into buying anything. Just politely say no thanks and shut yer door, same as you do to Jehova Witnesses ! If everyone did this they would leave as obviously there will be no point in them hanging around will there !
    Actually i love arguing with Jehova Witnesses and welcome them at my door, there are so many things in their belief system that you can tear apart, i once kept one at my front door for an hour and a half and when he left i think he'd become an atheist like me.....job done...lol

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    i wont argue any more as you and treading on thin ice as bringing up religion on a thread about traveling salesmen and the org will probably have to wipe your post and if they dont i wont be fair considering ive been suspended for less.........goodluck

regards old sailor git
    "One more round Micky"

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Actually i love arguing with Jehova Witnesses and welcome them at my door, there are so many things in their belief system that you can tear apart, i once kept one at my front door for an hour and a half and when he left i think he'd become an atheist like me.....job done...lol
    mocking other peoples religions and beliefs is nithing to be proud of.
    "One more round Micky"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast