Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Moon

Default The Moon

I went out this morning (about 5am, forgot to put the bins out last night) and the moon was just beautiful through the trees, but by the time I couldn't find my good tripod, and used the other one, I got these. Then I had a bit of a fiddle, to try to make them look a bit artistic. Even if they are out of focus, lol.
    Oh and I tried to find an old thread about having some fun with the shot, couldn't locate it.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Actually there is a face in the purple moon one :-) or is it just me again :-))
    The moon was stunning over here too yesterday!! And I even got a lesson in where Orion is ;-))
    Award winning photography http://www.martinacross.com/

cool pic

There is something slightly primeval about watching the moon, maybe I should be worried!!!

You can find out more about sun, moon and stars here.

http://www.heavens-above.com/
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

beautiful pic GH! you use a scope on your lens?

That was 500mm Sigma (at extreme zoom) so effective 750mm on my camera.

Checking the other factors it was 100 asa, f6.3 and 1/250sec, so I suppose the moon must be surprisingly bright.

I really liked your picture Grumpyhippo, so I gave it a go, using same; iso 100, f6.3 & 1/250. Turned out pretty good I think.

Last edited by Lolabelle; 23-Jan-08 at 21:12.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Cracking shot lollabelle.... your moon is upsides down so you really must be in Australia

Excellent photos of the Moon Grumpyhippo and Lolabelle.

I've managed to get a fair amount of detail in photos I've taken of the moon - I do cheat a bit though using a telescope as a zoom lens.

Brilliant astroman thanks for sharing

Some lovely shots of the moon, better add mine taken from Wick I think! I only had a measly 200mm lens, but is it sharp enough to get a good crop.

Sigma 200mm, ISO 100, F8, 1/320 it was bright that night!

Cheers,

Sam

Great photo Riffman. Getting a sharp image of the full moon, with good contrast making the features stand out can be quite tricky.

Default The Moon

This is one of my favourite ones of the moon

This is one I took a few years ago, on a point and shoot digital camera, before I got my sony a100.

Photo sequence from the total lunar eclipse last March:

For those that may be interested there is another lunar eclipse visible in the UK this month during the early hours of 21st of February 2008. To see it you'll have to be up when most sensible people are tucked up in bed as the eclipse starts around 0145hrs and ends at approx 0510hrs - sorry Lolabelle, but this one isn't visible in Australia.

Thanks for the info Astroman, and lets hope for the same conditions as the last one. Cheers

Away with the birds

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    Thanks for the info Astroman, and lets hope for the same conditions as the last one. Cheers
    Great photo Kas.

Personally I'm hoping the weather is a bit warmer for this eclipse - I nearly had frostbite by the end of the one last year!

Quote Originally Posted by astroman View Post
    Photo sequence from the total lunar eclipse last March:

For those that may be interested there is another lunar eclipse visible in the UK this month during the early hours of 21st of February 2008. To see it you'll have to be up when most sensible people are tucked up in bed as the eclipse starts around 0145hrs and ends at approx 0510hrs - sorry Lolabelle, but this one isn't visible in Australia.
    Absolutely stunning work astroman!!

Yesterday I had the first ever go at a moon shot too and I was kind of surprised of how easy it was (novice speaking here haha)

I took about 10 shots and this one was the best.

I will certainly give it some more go`s to perfect what I have started...

Lolabelle seems to see the moon upside down? Is that so in Australia?? Weird stuff!
    Last edited by Raven; 20-Feb-08 at 10:31.

Default Moon Halo

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yesterday I had the first ever go at a moon shot too and I was kind of surprised of how easy it was (novice speaking here haha)

I took about 10 shots and this one was the best.

I will certainly give it some more go`s to perfect what I have started...

Lolabelle seems to see the moon upside down? Is that so in Australia?? Weird stuff!

Cracking shot Raven - you can see lots of detail. What size zoom lens did you use to get this image?

Did anyone get a good shot of the impressive halo that was around the Moon last night?
    No matter what exposure setting I used I just couldn't get it to stand out nearly as clearly as it did to the eye on the night.

The best I could get was this:

This is 4 images joined (rather roughly) as the halo was too large to fit into my cameras widest field of view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast