Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Burns Night

Default Burns Night

I've been to a few Burns Nights before, but so far only participated in the libations.

Yesterday I was asked to do the Immortal Memory address, which I think I've just about got sorted, pithiness being an important criterion, but would appreciate any tips, anecdotes, jokes etc.

What are you all doing on Friday?

I'll be tucking into my haggis at home this year Helen!

However, from past experience of listening to (not making) the speeches - the best advice I can give to anyone is just to keep it short and sweet !!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I'll be tucking into my haggis at home this year Helen!

However, from past experience of listening to (not making) the speeches - the best advice I can give to anyone is just to keep it short and sweet !!

Good advice Angela - no inebriated ramblings from me...

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    I've been to a few Burns Nights before, but so far only participated in the libations.

Yesterday I was asked to do the Immortal Memory address, which I think I've just about got sorted, pithiness being an important criterion, but would appreciate any tips, anecdotes, jokes etc.

Was at a Burns Night on the 18th, good company, good speeches, mediocre haggis, but enjoyed it all the same, Have a great night Helen
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Good advice Angela - no inebriated ramblings from me...
    lol Helen, what you want is for everyone else to be ummm...nicely mellow!

Oh -and I forgot to say, Good Luck! and have fun!

OK, I give up, what is Burns Night?????
    And Helen, I'm sure you will be terrific with your speech, and as Angela recommended, short and sweet is usually memorable for all the "right" reasons. (People will remember what you said, not that you waffled for ages... )
    Last edited by Lolabelle; 21-Jan-08 at 11:54. Reason: speach or speech or peach or peeck or.......... doh!!
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    )
    Shhh Lolabelle! You're on a Scottish website!

Robert (Rabbie/Robbie) Burns is only the most famous poet of Scotland...of 'Auld Lang Syne' fame and many, many more.

Try this site for an introduction, and enjoy.

http://www.worldburnsclub.com/begin/robert_burns.htm
    Last edited by helenwyler; 21-Jan-08 at 13:33. Reason: missing word! Rabbie not Robbie!?!

Shhh Lolabelle! You're on a Scottish website!

Robert (Robbie) Burns only the most famous poet of Scotland...of 'Auld Lang Syne' fame and many, many more.

Try this site for an introduction, and enjoy.

http://www.worldburnsclub.com/begin/robert_burns.htm
    "OK thanks Helen," she whispered back.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Me too Helen reply from the lassies I have to do been looking at all Burns websites good luck
    Its nice to be nice

Thanks Anne!

Good luck to you too...sock it to 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    And Helen, I'm sure you will be terrific with your speech, and as Angela recommended, short and sweet is usually memorable for all the "right" reasons. (People will remember what you said, not that you waffled for ages... )
    Robert Burns was the greatest humanitarian and womaniser that ever lived. He was not bad at the poetry though.

I'm not much help, Helen, I don't think I ever went to a Burns' Night when I lived there. I am on a Scottish Country Dancing demo team here and we've been invited to dance at a Burns' Night put on by a newly formed Pipe Band. I am so looking forward to it. We just have to dance two dances and we get a free dinner and entertainment -- what more could a Scottish lassie want?

I will be having my Burns night on Tuesday night, with a book of his poetry but more importantly the haggis and neeps and a couple of wee drams,
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

IŽll be avin mine on Wednesday haveing the family over for a natter and a few drams to keep us all happy and this year we even managed to get a Real Haggis by mail order and thats just makin the world feel even smaller but nice to know someones taken the problem on board

There will be a good Burns night in Francis street club, I usually go as the food is always good
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Slightly off topic but please GENTLEMEN if you wear a kilt make sure it fits. I have been to a couple of Burns nights lately and sitting with legs akimbo in a kilt that doesn't fall into the gap so to speak, doesn't do anyone any favours. It does however give the assembled masses a good giggle ( well the females anyway)
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein