Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypnotherapy

Smile Hypnotherapy

Hi there

Have anyone ever used hypnotherapy for weight loss, stopping smoking, relaxation or any other reason? Did you find it useful and would you do it again?

Thanks loads - lelebo

Hi lelebo,I have used it,and found some degree of success but you have to be "open" to it in the first place before it can be of any help x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Good question Lelebo; I await the answer with baited breath and lots to lose!

Yes, I had it a few years ago for smoking and it did work. The man told me that it would wear off after 2 to 3 weeks and to get back in touch for a booster type treatment.
    Because I am an idiot when I felt it wearing off instead of phoning him I had a ciggie

But for the first three weeks I didn't once want one, I was very impressed.

Tried it to stop smoking but never worked. Had accupuncture and didn't have a fag for 4 years. This said I'm a great fan of Paul McKennna and have several of his CD's for relaxation and things. I think you need to be in the frame of mind to accept suggestion but I wouldn't knock it, if it works, work it!

Yes I have tried it on two occasions, the first time was a number of years ago and I have to admit that I was not "open" to it and it was a waste of time and money but I had it again recently and went in with a different attitude and found it very helpful with sleep and also relaxation but you must keep up the tape and techniques. In the end of the day I think you just need to believe!
    Live the Life

it worked for my sister she hasent had a fag since, must be 10 years now. me well i just dont want to stop smoking, though when i was back home in oct.. i wasent impressed having to stand outside fo a smoke, so i suppose if i was living at home i would get fed up with that and prob give it up ....
    The miracle is not to fly in the air,
    or to walk on the water,but to walk on the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by ciderally View Post
    it worked for my sister she hasent had a fag since, must be 10 years now. me well i just dont want to stop smoking, though when i was back home in oct.. i wasent impressed having to stand outside fo a smoke, so i suppose if i was living at home i would get fed up with that and prob give it up ....
    I have had a useful experience of hypnotherapy, but the message was "all hypnosis is self hypnosis". In other words, he only helps you to do something you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by lelebo View Post
    Hi there

Have anyone ever used hypnotherapy for weight loss, stopping smoking, relaxation or any other reason? Did you find it useful and would you do it again?

Thanks loads - lelebo
    I think its a horse for courses scenary it works for somepeople and not others u just have to try it out yourself.
    There was a company in portlethen spm they paid for all there workers to get hypnotherapy to stop smoking the vast majority of them it didnt work and for some of them it did do the trick?

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    I have had a useful experience of hypnotherapy, but the message was "all hypnosis is self hypnosis". In other words, he only helps you to do something you want to do.
    Spot on - you'll only change something if you really want to do it, have all the information on what to expect, have the right support and have planned ahead for difficulties. You have to genuinely see the change as better than staying as you are now - everyone does things for their own reasons, including smoking or eating too much. You have to have positive feelings about an imagined future in which the change has been made.

Hypnosis is seen as the no effort option for people that have not really resolved their feelings about their behaviour and don't really want to let it go.

I have used self hypnosis cd's for weight loss. It helped to a certain extent and stopped me craving sweet stuff for a while but the battle of the bulge continues still.

Paul McKenna used to be on QVC with a system called "I can make you thin"

If he has been using it on his hair, then I can confirm that it definitely works!!

My dentist in Edinburgh used Hypnotherapy with me as I used to hate injections for fillings. Had all fillings done with no local or otherwise so......yes it worked for me.
    Also used hypnotherapy during labour, certainly required no drugs.

Would I have managed on these occasions using mind over matter? Who knows. if something works for you is that not worth continuing? I suppose believing in something makes it all the more possible.
    Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by dirdyweeker View Post
    My dentist in Edinburgh used Hypnotherapy with me as I used to hate injections for fillings. Had all fillings done with no local or otherwise so......yes it worked for me.
    Also used hypnotherapy during labour, certainly required no drugs.

Would I have managed on these occasions using mind over matter? Who knows. if something works for you is that not worth continuing? I suppose believing in something makes it all the more possible.
    Wouldnt it have been easier to use the hypnotherapy to get you to take the injections?

Default Hypnotherapy

If you want it to work it will, but, if deep down you do not want it to work it will not - very much up to you.
    Whatever you want to change you have to want the change for yourself, not because someone else is presurrising you to change, loose weight, stop smoking, etc.
    Hypnotherapists are only reinforcing your own ideas, not changing your mind.
    Believe in yourself first and you can do it.

I had hypnotherapy sessions when I was pregnant with my first child. They didnt take away the pain of labour but I found I was able to relax through the whole experience and it definately helped me.

I had hypnotherapy to overcome anxiety when I was learning to drive and it definitely worked. I'm now using self-hypnosis to try and overcome a fear of blood and needles so that I can give blood. I'm not quite there yet but am definitely less squeamish than I was.

I agree that it will only work if you want it to work, though.

thank you so much for all your responses - they've been really helpful - I've had hypnotherapy in the past and really felt a benefit and I'm thinking about training as a hypnotherapist so its great to hear about everyone's experiences.

thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lelebo View Post
    thank you so much for all your responses - they've been really helpful - I've had hypnotherapy in the past and really felt a benefit and I'm thinking about training as a hypnotherapist so its great to hear about everyone's experiences.

thanks
    Let us know when you are qualified; I know someone who badly needs your help!

Well,
    If you want to know about hypnosis, then you can come to our self hypnosis workshops that we regularly hold at Dunbeath Surgery.

We offer hypnosis at out surgery, and i am both an international tutor and former clinical psychotherapist.

If anyone wants more info then drop me a line.
    Andrew Usher
    Partner / Practice Manager
    Dunbeath Surgery
    dunbeathsurgery.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast