Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: any one mind him

Post any one mind him

when going to wick to as i was driving was chat to my big sis talking about the old days .....any one mind Magnus Pyke on the TV cant mind what year it was ..... Dr. Magnus Pyke (29 December 1908 – 19 October 1992) was a British scientist and media figure, who, although apparently quite eccentric and playing up to the mad scientist stereotype, succeeded in explaining science to a lay audience. He was known for his enthusiastic way of waving his arms around as he spoke."SCIENCE!"
    Latitude = 58.5903, Longitude = -3.5324
    some times in life its not what you know its who you know

remembered very fondly!

I remember him too! He was quite mesmerising.

I'm not sure he advanced my scientific understanding very much though!

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post

I remember him too! He was quite mesmerising.

I'm not sure he advanced my scientific understanding very much though!
    Indeed ..he was a character and 'Science' didn't have interesting folks until then.... a grand man who inspired.

Can't get your link to work Helen!

kariax

Sorry. Don't know why it isn't working...this'll have to do then!

He did a show in the early 70s i think, with David Bellamy and Miriam Stoppard (i think she was a Dr) the programme was called, Don't Ask Me or Just Ask Me, it was something like that. I used to watch because all the waving of his arms fascinated me.

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post

Sorr. Don't know why it isn't working...this'll have to do then!

Helen,

Don't be sorry..you did your best......

That's the' manie..he was well tall!

Looked a lot like our latin teacher who was a brilliant man and funny with it.

Nice to see him again..thanx Helen!

memories.xxxxkaria

OMG i remember him as well,Looked a bit like Bruce Forsyth,lol jan x
    computer says no ........

He also got into the music business in a small but memorable way - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_Bli...e_With_Science

Yes he was quite infectious, like a rash-with his actions-he was allover you!
    But a very memorable fella, loved him to bits

He always seemed to be flailing about with his arms. White hair, skinny body and wonderful enthusiasm for his subject...namely science. Think he was on Tomorrows World. Lovely man as I remember.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

While composing his 1983 hit "She Blinded Me With Science," Thomas Dolby enlisted Magnus Pyke to contribute the song's speaking parts. A celebrity scientist in the UK, Pyke was a very stubborn and awkward character who agreed to work with Dolby only after considerable cajoling.

"When he was working with me in the studio," Dolby later recalled, "I would say, 'Dr. Pyke, when I wave my hand you say: "She blinded me with science!"' And on the first few he did; he said, 'She blinded me with science?' And I said, 'That's great, but it's not really a question; it's like an exclamation.' And he goes, 'Yes, but as a known scientist it would be a bit surprising if a girl blinded me with science.'
    Taken from
    Code:
    http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=17155
    This gave me a laugh and he also wouldn't wear a doctors white coat for the video as he said the fine for impersonating a doctor was thousands of pounds.

SNOWDOG Guest

Wasnt he on Tomorrows World with Raymond Baxter?

Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    OMG i remember him as well,Looked a bit like Bruce Forsyth,lol jan x
    I remember him very well. but i thought he looked like Dermaddy from up the back of Lybster way,??

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    I remember him very well. but i thought he looked like Dermaddy from up the back of Lybster way,??
    Who`s he johno ? i lived in lybster but cant remember him. Was he the one with all the ponies ?? jan x
    computer says no ........

Quote Originally Posted by paris View Post
    Who`s he johno ? i lived in lybster but cant remember him. Was he the one with all the ponies ?? jan x
    ah, he is one of those white settler,s that came up from England bought a lodge on one of the back roads , cant recall the name of the place,?? thats it i just remembered , [Camster]
    Last edited by johno; 21-Dec-07 at 18:04.

Mr Darmady was a bit early to be called white settler. He was up in Caithness as far back as I can remember (mid-1950s). He was as I recall from a family that included a lot of doctors. He too went to medical school, and had completed his finals as a doctor but suffered a serious head injury in a car crash, so he never moved on to his chosen career. Possibly as a result of the head injury, he was a man who tended to say exactly what he thought regardless of impact. Some thought him "queer" or "daft", but my uncle Douglas, who served with him as a councillor, said "That man's supposed to be a bit wrong in the head, but there are times when he talks more sense than the rest of us put together". I always regarded him as a very nice man when I was a youngster. We lived between him and Watten, so he would often drop in to see us in passing.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Mr Darmady was a bit early to be called white settler. He was up in Caithness as far back as I can remember (mid-1950s). He was as I recall from a family that included a lot of doctors. He too went to medical school, and had completed his finals as a doctor but suffered a serious head injury in a car crash, so he never moved on to his chosen career. Possibly as a result of the head injury, he was a man who tended to say exactly what he thought regardless of impact. Some thought him "queer" or "daft", but my uncle Douglas, who served with him as a councillor, said "That man's supposed to be a bit wrong in the head, but there are times when he talks more sense than the rest of us put together". I always regarded him as a very nice man when I was a youngster. We lived between him and Watten, so he would often drop in to see us in passing.
    There are a lot supposedly
    wrong in the head who make a lot more sense than their detractors but don't fit in with those that deem themselves to be 'normal' probably because their intellect sets them apart.