Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Xmas day dinner.....

Default Alternative Xmas day dinner.....

We're doing the obvious thing and having turkey ...anyone having something different (the vegetarians must be!)

Pheasant....
    @,'---.................................................. ---',@
    ~*~Believe In The Magic Of Your Dreams~*~
    ---',@................................................. . @',---

Hubby wanted venison.

I told him it just wasnt right..

who brings the bairns pressies....Santa!

Who pulls Santas sleigh...Reindeer

Yup he still wants to eat Rudolph on Christmas day

(he will be dissapointed with the turkey then)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadie View Post
    Hubby wanted venison.

I told him it just wasnt right..

who brings the bairns pressies....Santa!

Who pulls Santas sleigh...Reindeer

Yup he still wants to eat Rudolph on Christmas day

(he will be dissapointed with the turkey then)
    When I was a kid we threw a complete wobbly when Mum said we were having duck for Xmas dinner - we liked feeding the ducks at the pond, we could not eat one! So she gave in and served "brown chicken" instead...we fell for it!

Mrs G and I are trying Goose for the first time, never tasted one or cooked one before, any help would be greatful
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

mum will be cooking a chicken and beef. cant wait. we will still get turkey when we come back down the road on the 28th though. its great, we are basically having 2 christmases!!

Duck!

I'm not allowed Fish and Chips on Christmas Day

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Mrs G and I are trying Goose for the first time, never tasted one or cooked one before, any help would be greatful
    Raise it up off the roasting ban with a rack so that you can collect and save the goose fat - it makes the most amazing roast potatoes and sells in jars as a gourmet food. keep in a jam jar in the freezer cos you'll get loads!

Default vege

I'm having a quorn 'chicken style joint'

Gotta say i prefer it to turkey, very tasty

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Duck!

I'm not allowed Fish and Chips on Christmas Day
    I should think not...

Sheesh..carving the haddock can be a real nightmare!

karia

We have two christmas dinners every year

One on christmas eve as that is when sweden celebrates christmas and I always make a traditional swedish christmas dinner cos without it it just wouldn't be christmas.

So on christmas eve we have cured salmon (gravlax) homemade, pickled herring, usually just one kind as only I eat it, a huge ham, meatballs, sausages, and ribs all eaten with boiled potatoes a mayonnaisy fruity salad and ryebread.

for dessert we have either very creamy rice pudding with sugar and cinnamon or swedish cheesecake with jam... or quite often both followed by christmas chocolates of course. I am making myself hungry.

Christmas day we do a traditional turkey dinner as it wouldn't be christmas for husband without it. Only we have both turkey and ham, as that is waht he was used to from home. Thankfully we can use the same ham as the previous day!

After that we live on leftovers for a forthnight!

e auld chile wis tellin me e ither night that wur hevin....

butternut squash an carrot soup, we usually hev neep soup but he's fancyin a chynge (now am wonderin if he got e recipe fie ye hobbies...)

then wur hevin beef wellington...an all e trimmins lekly

an wur feneshin off wi bried an butter puddin...

we usually hev, lek a fish dish, or a prawn thing efter e soup but last year efter e dinner we wisna really fit til take drink, all we wanted til do wis sleep...!!! so wur skippin 'at course ss year

ma 2 brirs are vegetarians so e auld chile hes til tend til them anall...a very busy man he'l be...an il enjoy ivry bite - cheers dad x x
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    e auld chile wis tellin me e ither night that wur hevin....

butternut squash an carrot soup, we usually hev neep soup but he's fancyin a chynge (now am wonderin if he got e recipe fie ye hobbies...)

then wur hevin beef wellington...an all e trimmins lekly

an wur feneshin off wi bried an butter puddin...

we usually hev, lek a fish dish, or a prawn thing efter e soup but last year efter e dinner we wisna really fit til take drink, all we wanted til do wis sleep...!!! so wur skippin 'at course ss year

ma 2 brirs are vegetarians so e auld chile hes til tend til them anall...a very busy man he'l be...an il enjoy ivry bite - cheers dad x x
    Sounds grand trix...if ye have space for a wee carnivore at the table , gie's a shout!

Kxx

I'm having turkey, OH and his mum are having duck, wee one will have a taste of both.

We're having beef for Christmas and chicken for New Year. Had turkey last year but found it dry so are back to the old faithfuls again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Sounds grand trix...if ye have space for a wee carnivore at the table , gie's a shout!

Kxx
    auld chile bin on e fone Ak - yer more than welcome
    Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
    Blessed Be...

Pheasant and Duck

Quote Originally Posted by Uli View Post
    We have two christmas dinners every year

One on christmas eve as that is when sweden celebrates christmas and I always make a traditional swedish christmas dinner cos without it it just wouldn't be christmas.

So on christmas eve we have cured salmon (gravlax) homemade, pickled herring, usually just one kind as only I eat it, a huge ham, meatballs, sausages, and ribs all eaten with boiled potatoes a mayonnaisy fruity salad and ryebread.

for dessert we have either very creamy rice pudding with sugar and cinnamon or swedish cheesecake with jam... or quite often both followed by christmas chocolates of course. I am making myself hungry.

Christmas day we do a traditional turkey dinner as it wouldn't be christmas for husband without it. Only we have both turkey and ham, as that is waht he was used to from home. Thankfully we can use the same ham as the previous day!

After that we live on leftovers for a forthnight!
    My mother is German so we also have a special cold meal on Xmas eve with special potato salad - cooked potatoes mixed with fried chopped onion and smoked streaky bacon bits, all cooled and mixed with mayonnaise and black pepper - delicious!

Still got an open mind on the starter.

A very nice rib of beef roasted to perfection, with some beautiful roast potatoes, probably done in olive oil garlic and rosemary. Roast parsnips. Honey glazed carrots. Sprouts (just for me - I love 'em) broccoli and Yorkshire puddings.

Traditional home made Christmas pudding.

Some fruit and cheese for anyone that can still face more food. (
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

sirloin steak, fat homemade chip's, fried mushroom's, and slightly burnt fried onion's. followed by bird's strawberry trifle ooohhh i can feel the grease running doon ma chin now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast