Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Butternut Squash And Carrot Soup

Default Butternut Squash And Carrot Soup

I made this soup last night and it was so easy and, even if I do say so myself, it was delicious. We had it with tiger bread rolls that I had bought from Tescos.

Butternut Squash and Carrot soup

The baking of these vegetables brings out the sweetness of the squash and the wonderful flavour of the vegetables.

Ingredients
    1 butternut squash
    1 red onion (chopped)
    2 shallots (chopped)
    2 medium carrots (chopped)
    1 red pepper
    1 small / medium potato (chopped)
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    2 tablespoons smoked pimento / paprika (optional)
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    1 vegetable stock cube (preferably organic)
    500ml water

Method
    • Cube the squash. Put on a baking tray, sprinkle with sesame oil and cumin seeds and smoked pimento, if used.
    • Bake in a preheated oven (180c) for approx 15 – 20 mins, until squash starts to go soft.
    • Put chopped red onion, shallots and red pepper in an ovenproof dish with the cloves of garlic (left whole) and the balsamic vinegar.
    • Bake in oven with the squash and also leave until soft.
    • Put 500ml boiling water into a big pan and add the stock cube, chopped carrots and potatoes. Bring back to the boil.
    • Add the squash and baked vegetables to the pan. Simmer gently until the potato and carrots start to disintegrate. Add more water if needed.
    • Remove from heat. When cooled liquidise until smooth.
    • For serving add yoghurt or fromage frais and freshly baked granary bread.
    • This is a very thick creamy yellow/gold soup that can be thinned down with vegetable stock if necessary.
    • This soup freezes well. Pumpkin can be used instead of squash, if available.

Thanks hobbes1962. I'd always wondered what to do with the wonderful butternut squashes I see in Tescos.

I made this soup tonight though I cheated and used cumin powder instead of the seeds. There is no mention of seasoning in the recipe. I added a few pinches of salt and a load of freshly ground black pepper to the pot, before it tasted right for me.

Hubby remarked that it reminded him of my Carrot & Coriander but was even better. I guess that has to be a hit

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    I cheated and used cumin powder instead of the seeds. There is no mention of seasoning in the recipe. I added a few pinches of salt and a load of freshly ground black pepper to the pot, before it tasted right for me.
    I didn't have any cumin seeds either when I made it so I used black mustard seeds instead.

Recipies are there to be adapted is what I say

Gonna a try making this soup the morn for new year,
    as it sounds really nice, got all ingredients fae tesco
    e day.
    I am totally useless at making soup so hopefully it turns
    out ok
    I will let u's ken how i get on
    Hopefully i will be very with it

Quote Originally Posted by nicnic74 View Post
    Gonna a try making this soup the morn for new year,
    as it sounds really nice, got all ingredients fae tesco
    e day.
    I am totally useless at making soup so hopefully it turns
    out ok
    I will let u's ken how i get on
    Hopefully i will be very with it
    Trust me, you can't make a mess of it. soups are the easiest thing to make - it'll be just the thing to warm the cockles on New Years Day!

Made the soup & gods know's what i did wrong but it just didnt turn out e way that i thought it would, even the kids who normally eat anything wernt overly keen on it,
    the only soup that i can make that i ken the kids & i will eat is mince soup & it always turns out lovely so i think i will hav to stick to making it.
    Infact i think i will go & make a pan o it in a moment as just thinking about it is making me feel a bit peckish