Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bt Broadband...Sod Them, How About This Instead?

Default Bt Broadband...Sod Them, How About This Instead?

BT have no intention whatsoever of upgrading either the Wick or Thurso exchanges, even with the Thurso exchange currently sitting with 260 registrations they havent yet set a trigger level and are still saying it is unlikely that there will be enough interest to justify upgrading the exchange, lets face it, Wick and Thurso have no chance of telephone line broadband for at least another 3 to 5 years so maybe it's about time we started registering with alternative broadband suppliers rather than solely registering with BT.

Hydro Electric have a Broadband scheme aswell, and you can register your interest via the link below, just enter your postcode and then you will be taken to a page with an option to register your interest, so sod BT, lets try something else.

http://www.hydro.co.uk/broadband/index.asp

Yes, Yes, Yes,

I read about this when It first appeared on the BBC website and I knew it was our best option

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Hydro-Electric
    It works like this.......

all the benefits of a real broadband service
    free connection
    use your PC in any room
    round the clock access to the web
    best value broadband package available

10 Good Reasons

it's always there - no need to spend ages dialling to connect and you can be online in seconds!
    surf the web up to 40 times faster than a dial up connection!
    keep in constant touch with friends through instant messaging and send and receive emails in a flash!
    transfer even mega files between your office and home - no more carrying laptops and disks!
    shopping online just got even better - hunting for bargains in even the biggest online stores is a breeze with broadband!
    you'll never need to visit a record store again - buy and download albums in seconds!
    use your webcam to share the joy of your baby's first steps with friends and family across the world!
    instant access to a world wide wealth of knowledge and information!
    be among the first to see the latest Hollywood trailers with quality so good you could almost be at the Premiere!
    with Broadband from Scottish Hydro-Electric the need for new phone lines and lots of messy cables is long gone!

Speed Comparison

-----------------------------56k modem *** 512k ADSL/cable *** Hydro-BroadBand

Typical web page-------- 14.5 seconds *** 2 seconds ***< 2 seconds

MP3 music track ---------- 12 minutes *** 1.3 minutes *** 20 seconds

30sec video download --- 3.5 minutes *** 25 seconds *** 7 seconds
    If they are looking for interest I'm sure we can supply it You should also notice that it's nearly 4 times faster than 512k cable/ADSL, I know a 1MB ADSL line costs about £130 per month, I'm not sure how much an equivalent 2MB ADSL line is but you can bet it's going to be really expensive.

Hydro-Electric's prices are cheaper than a 512k ADSL and remember it's 4 times faster than it as well , it's simple there is no better connection for us in the North! Not just within 5km telephone line distance of Wick and Thurso. It could be everywhere, the article I read said that there were very few places they couldn't supply it. So wherever you are in Caithness, if you want super fast broadband then register your interest with the Hydro

Cheers
    Colin Manson
    Administrator

I have registered with Hydro Electric, but also like BT, they are not to keen to reply to any e-mails sent to them.
    i registered with them over 2 weeks ago, sent a seperate e-mail with a few relevant questions, but alas, am still awaiting a reply.
    I do sincerely hope they do decide to cover all of the North of Scotland, it would be one up on BT.

Regards~~~Sandy.

Lo,

Niall spoke to them today but since this is still the first quarter of the trials then they aren't sure what is going to happen. So no numbers have even been thought about.

They did say that the response to the trials was massive, so if the people that are lucky enough to live in the Trial areas are happy with the service then I'm sure it'll quickly spread. They also mentioned about doing phone calls over the power lines, this is a separate issue and is not included in the Internet trials but in the future we could be getting really cheap phone calls as well as fantastic Internet access.

Being able to unplug your PC and plug it in anywhere in the house is also a great bonus, no more worrying about telephone lines or ISDN boxes

Maybe the next thing we need is a serious signup campaign and also some political backing, I noticed the HIE logo being displayed on the Hydro's website. Now all we need is a nice investment and we could be up and running

Cheers
    Colin

Hi Colin.

I have been chatting on and off with Bill about a local registration campaign, i printed of flyers with the bt registration address.
    looks like now i'll have to start printing of some for Hydro Electric.
    i just leave them in places like the cafe, and phone boxes.

Regards~~~Sandy.

Sandy,

It's good to see that someone else feels the need to push this forward. I've used a 2MB ADSL connection before and it's like being in a different world. No longer is time an issue and it is really surprising how much more you can enjoy "surfing" if you don't have to wait for everything.

Hopefully Bill will be able to post something on the Index page and keep reminding people every so often. I was pretty disappointed when I found out that BT was never going to give us a limit. It looks like the Hydro are going about this trial from the other side, BT when for the biggest potential user exchanges but the Hydro are doing small places that are never likely to see ADSL upgraded exchanges.

For the past couple of years I've spoken to some friends from all around Europe and the UK and they can't believe the cost of my ISDN connection or the fact that up here we have no other option. Bring on the days when I don't ever have to worry about disconnecting my internet connection because I'm worried about breaking their 12 or 16 hour "anytime" limit and downloads take minutes rather than hours.

Cheers
    Colin

Default Hydro Broadband

Yes I will be reminding on the Index page as well as in the Broadband Section to get more folk to sign up at this new place. We will try to help any supplier that gets in here to bring in Broadband. I have given up on BT as aprovider for my internet connection a long time ago.
    Why?
    Poor customer Relations
    Veiled threats to throw me off.
    emails telling me I was a heavy user and general hassle.
    Changing Telephone connection numbers for my benefit - ha ha.
    Not the Cheapest and if there was any other way to get my ISDN I would be outa here.
    Seriously looking at all the other cheap telephone providers for calls - not made up my mind yet but might try the 1363 number - does anyone have any definite knowledge of how much you save - I am suspicious of the blurb.
    I have also emailed Hydro to offer all the free publicity they want on the web site if they seriously consider coming in to Caithness.
    We can only wait and see.

Well done Bill,

i'm sure Hydro Electric will jump at the chance
    of some free advertising.

I have made a start printing of some flyers
    with the Hydro Electric details on it.
    will start leaving them around as soon as possible.
    have also e-mailed the registration address
    to everyone locally on my contacts list.

Regards~~~Sandy.

backrow Guest

Default Broadband

Yep, Got to agree!
    BT look to be draging their heels, so lets ALL register with the Hydro!!
    What difference will it make to BT?
    None - because we have ALL signed up for them as well!1
    Well lets put it this way ----we all SHOULD have signed up!! No point moaning if you can't even be bothered to register!!

Role on Hydro!!!!

P Guest

Don't forget though, it's only in trial at the moment...in Europe, it has been banned due to interfence on other frequencies. We may have a problem up here because of the military use of the airspace and the possible interference.

I still think that HIE should invest in the future, not investing in a short-term solution, like they did with ISDN. 2Mb might be great now but I assure you within a couple of years it will be as slow as ISDN is today, the equivelant that is. Simply because the rest of teh world is pushing forward but the UK especially highland region is not.

They could have purchased a wireless license at the coming auctions, installed fast and reliable wireless access across the entire region (including all those communities of 2 or 3 people). No trigger levels, no demand based, just plain and simple good old fashioned innovation. They could have done the whole lot for less than £2m - such a shame they won't open their eyes. We could all have 10Mb access when bandwidth prices drop, if we wanted it - but now with the way they are pushing forward we simply won't have the option.

Perhaps once the next elections are over our MSP may be able to help, I know of at least one business looking at this balnket coverage of the area, I know as I am a part of it, however if HIE keep pushing in the opposite direction, we just won't be able to bring it to the highlands - some unity would be a good thing!

I am biased so don't take this any other way than it is intended - simply to try to present all the facts not just one side of the story!

P.

P Guest

oh in case you're interested...I mailed hydro last year about their trials...this is the standard response I gt back - 3rd september 2002

Many thanks for your interest in Broadband and Powerline. Unfortunately this service is not yet available in your area. We are currently evaluating our first pilot installations and will be deciding on extending the service based on the outcome of these pilots and the demand in other areas. We have noted your interest and will contact you if your area is to be connected for service.

Anonymous Guest

If we are going to be prevented from having broadband delivered via our leccy cables because of military use of our airspace then perhaps the military should pay for us to get broadband another way.

P Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie
    If we are going to be prevented from having broadband delivered via our leccy cables because of military use of our airspace then perhaps the military should pay for us to get broadband another way.
    hehe...great idea! Not quite sure they would go for it though!

Has caithness.org tried mailing it's users to get an idea of who would be interested in Broadband?

Anonymous Guest

Saying that tho, the gov might want to make sure they get their pound of flesh (17.5%) from all the hydro-broadband users so that might outweigh any military rumblings.

As far as mailing everyone, somehow I think we might find our selves on a spam blacklist if we did, however, it is a topic which is debated quite a lot here so all we can hope for is that if we make enough noise about it, everyone will register.

http://www.hydro.co.uk/broadband/index.asp

So...... on the news tonight BT has decided that the tests in the small rural towns has been a great success and wish to spread broadband throughout Scotland. Could it be that Hydro has a better product to sell at a cheaper price?
    I am no longer in intrested in BT Broadband (which would be a minimum of a years contract) - I am happy to wait for the Hydrobroadband which is faster an cheaper.

Comn Hydro - we are waiting for you

I think just about everyone has given up on BT for their future broadband service,
    as the Wick exchange now stands at 192, and the Thurso exchange is at 321
    more than some of the exchanges shown on BT's list of exchanges with trigger levels already set.

come on Hydro Electric

Default BT Falling Out With Scottish Enterprise

Did you notice the story in the Scotsman newspaper today regarding the fact that BT are very unhappy with Scottish enterprise and their approach to Broadband. the story is at http://www.news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=440592003 If they all start falling out will it take even longer to get Broadband in the north of Scotland?

Default Re: Hydro Broadband

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie
    I have given up on BT as aprovider for my internet connection a long time ago.
    I have also emailed Hydro to offer all the free publicity they want on the web site if they seriously consider coming in to Caithness.
    Bill

On Working Lunch today on BBC2 it was reported that Monmouth (a town of 10,000 people) is to be connected to BT Broadband in June this year. (See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/2989825.stm ). It occurred to me that your exasperated conclusion on BT may be somewhat misguided. Surely if the good people of Monmouth can produce an economic justification for the service then the worthy citizens of Wick/Thurso cannot allow themselves to be second fiddles? It would paranoic to suggest (as Gizmo did) that BT would discriminate against the towns except on commercial grounds - and I'm sure you don't suffer from any delusional illnesses!

On a simple comparison of the Broadband products offered by BT and by Hydro-Electric the following facts are clear:

Will it be made available? BT - Yes (subject to economic analysis): Hydro - won't say.

How much will it cost? BT charges well publicised: Hydro - won't say.

Technology proven? BT - Yes, large number of users across UK: Hydro: Not known – small trial customer base thus far.

To abandon BT as a possible/probable supplier at this stage is not sensible - put your emotions away and make decisions based on practical, commercial judgments.

Finally, those Wick/Thurso people who are desperate for Broadband would do well to spend some time finding out how the people of Monmouth achieved their objective. (See http://www.alfgoodrich.co.uk/broadba.../www/index.htm ).

For me, Broadband is of no interest, 56k is all I need!

Partan

Quote Originally Posted by Partan
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie
    I have given up on BT as aprovider for my internet connection a long time ago.
    Bill

On Working Lunch today on BBC2 it was reported that Monmouth (a town of 10,000 people) is to be connected to BT Broadband in June this year. (See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/2989825.stm ). It occurred to me that your exasperated conclusion on BT may be somewhat misguided. Surely if the good people of Monmouth can produce an economic justification for the service then the worthy citizens of Wick/Thurso cannot allow themselves to be second fiddles? It would paranoic to suggest (as Gizmo did) that BT would discriminate against the towns except on commercial grounds - and I'm sure you don't suffer from any delusional illnesses!
    I noticed on the report that Monmouth Council were very much a part of the process. Does BT Broadband, (or any broadband) have Council backing in Caithness?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo
    I noticed on the report that Monmouth Council were very much a part of the process. Does BT Broadband, (or any broadband) have Council backing in Caithness?
    Wey Bill on e Cooncil, BT disna stan a chance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast