Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15 million peoples personal data missing

Thumbs down 15 million peoples personal data missing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7103566.stm

What a joke, why bother shredding your bills and making sure you cover your pin at a cash machine when the government just gives all you details away on your behalf

Exactly, it's ridiculous, and very hypocrytical of the government to spend money on such privacy awareness campaigns and adverts!

Thats why Paul Gray resignation was accepted because the discs had been transported in breach of rules governing data protection. He puts in his notice and they dont need to sack him, bet he will still get some big pay off also.
    Graeme

How can they say they don't think the discs have fallen into the wrong hands when they don't even know where they are.

If this is one of the things we hear about, can you imagine what goes on that we don't hear about

Prob cause the MP's were told 9 -10 days ago and they (HM Revenue and Customs) new i would guess a few days before this, If no one has come forwared looking to blackmail or saying that they are going to put the details on the open market then they are "Guessing" it's lost and sitting in the gutter somewhere or someone has found it and not sure what to do with it
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    If no one has come forwared looking to blackmail or saying that they are going to put the details on the open market then they are "Guessing" it's lost and sitting in the gutter somewhere or someone has found it and not sure what to do with it
    Even if no-one has come forward with black-mail it doesn't mean it's not in the wrong hands. It could have been sold to fraudsters who are now working on getting their mitts on everyones money.

There might not be any direct threat to bank accounts and such but this is ideal for identity theft, name, address and national insurance numbers , ideal info !!

This is why I am against Identity Cards. I don't object to the idea in principle, but they want to put far too much personal information on them, and I don't trust the powers that be one iota in keeping these details safe and secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    There might not be any direct threat to bank accounts and such but this is ideal for identity theft, name, address and national insurance numbers , ideal info !!
    Isn't bank account details stored aswell.

Yes the country is run by imbeciles, and we,ve only got ourselve,s to blame. We voted them in there.

Just heard on North Tonight that these disks were posted by unregistered mail - why would they send something so important unregistered?!!!

duh cos they have been checking postage charges on ebay

If they knew about it 10 days ago I think it stinks that the public wern't notified aobut it till now. Would they now be paying out to all the folks whos money had gone out of their accounts had it fallen into the wrong hands.

We don't get family allowance at the moment so not sure of the system, do you have to have it paid into a bank account or can you still get it from the post office from the wee book thingies.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

They have tried to get everyone to get it paid in to the bank - i know that mine is. I'm not sure if their is still people that have the allowance book tho.

mostly bank I think, I am lucky I guess as I set up a seperate bank account that only family allowance goes into, no other transactions in it at all so not too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by alanatkie View Post
    Just heard on North Tonight that these disks were posted by unregistered mail - why would they send something so important unregistered?!!!
    Because it was sent in the HMRC's internal post system operated by the courier TNT and not by Royal Mail.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn View Post
    mostly bank I think, I am lucky I guess as I set up a seperate bank account that only family allowance goes into, no other transactions in it at all so not too worried.
    Think we should all maybe follow your lead. Well done you. Wish I'd done this.

Hands up everybody that wanted Identity Cards and have nothing to hide.

Think it is rediculous that thie information wasn't sent recorded or registered. Most of the TNT drivers in London are agency workers so this info could be anywhere. Like some of you I have an account just for my child benifit payments which has no overdraft facility. It is worrying in this day and age that this can happen.
    Don`t bother "repping" me it`s turned off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast