Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do people still eat wild rabbits?

Default do people still eat wild rabbits?

as above, i know in years gone by wild rabbit was appreaciated, but in todays world of conveniance and ready meals, and with the population being more flush is eating rabbit a thing of the past? apart from being served in top eaterys as a bit of a vogue dish do folk still eat them or conisder them as food?

I am quite sure they do, I have never been able to myself but the smell of my grandads rabbit stew was always amazing but having pet rabbits I just couldn't bring myself to eat it. I do know that I have heard a few people say it can be hard to get now and they don't like having to pay for it by the kilo.
    Last edited by corgiman; 05-Nov-07 at 13:53.

I remember when i was little going out to the barn and finding dead rabbits hanging from the rafters, dad would shoot them and mum would make stew or something with them. used to hate having to eat them after seeing them in the barn.
    I Was Born Brilliant; Education Ruined Me

On the odd occassion I have been given them for free then I have eaten them and they are very tasty.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

That said the smell of them when you clean them is something that stays with you for life yuck

Russian people still eat them, I have been working out that way and had Roast Rabbit as a main course .. didnt think much of it.

we eat them regularly. Mr C used to be poor and had to shoot for his supper so to speak. And now we have them cos its a cheap low fat meat.

Rabbit Sweet and Sour is nice (Uncle Bens sauce) as is Hugh FearnlyWhittinglystall's recipe for Bunny Burgers - these are great, low in fat and pretty tasty.

If rabbit came served on a blue polystyrene tray in Tescos you probably wouldn't be as bothered as the thought of having to prepare poor wild 'Thumper' yourself.
    I am the sundance kid, coming to you with a groove and a positive

Quote Originally Posted by buggyracer View Post
    as above, i know in years gone by wild rabbit was appreaciated, but in todays world of conveniance and ready meals, and with the population being more flush is eating rabbit a thing of the past? apart from being served in top eaterys as a bit of a vogue dish do folk still eat them or conisder them as food?
    Great meal, eat them regularly. As they say, not unlike chicken and low in fat.

I would happily eat them if they would sit still longer enough...

I find them to be very tasty, no additives (apart from the cool glowing ones from up hera dounreay) and great flavour.

Very cheap if you get them yourself, especially as you can sell a tanned skin for £6 each these days!

I hope not x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Don't you listen to them Thumper. Just cover your ears and head for the hills.

Used to eat them regularly before I was working full time and when money was scarse. Lovely in a stew and roasted. Not so many around our area now so haven't had it for years. Used to be a fair shot with the old 2.2 and latterly the air rifle. Wouldn't say no to one if I was offered it. Also partial to a bit of pheasant, grouse, venison or salmon.

pheasant mmmmmmmmm

Used to eat a lot of wild rabbit in my young days. My mother for some unknown reason always used to curry them, I just grew up thinking that was the way all rabbits tasted (knew nothing about spices or cooking). I remember being over at a friends house and being asked to stay for tea, when I asked what they were having his mother said rabbit. Great, I was looking forward to it as soon as she told me. However, when it was served up and I tasted a bit, I began to argue that it was good, but not a rabbit (no curry taste). Needless to say we failed to convince each other of the origin of the food. It was only after I got home, and told my mother about it the funny tasting rabbit that she let me into the secret about her curry. I had to return and apologise to my friends mother, we all had a great laugh about it.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

Quote Originally Posted by the charlatans View Post
    Rabbit Sweet and Sour is nice (Uncle Bens sauce) as is Hugh FearnlyWhittinglystall's recipe for Bunny Burgers - these are great, low in fat and pretty tasty.
    I like all kinds of meat but don't think I could stomach a 'bunny burger' .

Don't they taste bad or better at certain times of the year?

My dad went on and on about how great wabbits were and how he was brought up on them, my mum made him rabbit stew recently and the cat ended up eating it.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Rabbit is delicious. Skinned, jointed, brushed with honey and slammed in the oven. Its why rabbits were invented!!!

you know thats one thing I love about living here, you can talk about these things and it is normal

I never knew until recently that my mam used to cook it for us when we were young and told us it was chicken. I don't think I would fancy it now if knew what I was eating.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julia View Post
    I like all kinds of meat but don't think I could stomach a 'bunny burger' .

Don't they taste bad or better at certain times of the year?

My dad went on and on about how great wabbits were and how he was brought up on them, my mum made him rabbit stew recently and the cat ended up eating it.
    Problem with rabbits Julia, is that you really need to kill them yourself to ensure you get a fresh one. If they're not drawn (gutted) within an hour of killing them, the flesh gets tainted and is useless for eating.

I eat it any chance I get. If anyone knows of a good cheap supply let me know
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast