Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thurso!!!

Default thurso!!!

whats happened to the road in thurso passing the train station on the way up to the high school/college road,another messed up attempt to resurface the road?or ANOTHER temporary road surface,the best road i came across are at the calum miller site opposite dunbar hospital in thurso,puts all the roads up here to shame,and out by weydale the road is yet again getting patched why does it only get done in bits it isnt even smooth its rough obviously a very very strict budget,id jus leave the roads the way they were coz they are certainly not improving

have you seen the road going to lidls in wick insane!

its enuf to put the alignment on my suspension in a bit of mess,roads here are a joke,1 joke im not laughing at!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brandy
    have you seen the road going to lidls in wick insane!
    I totally agree that bit is pure hellish, i have seen farm tracks in better condition

You're just jealous because the
    voices are talking to me and not you!

Aye, how the council let the state of road repairs outside Lidl in Wick get that bad I'll never know - it is truly dreadful. And the work Roadwork done (by Scottish Water I think) heading out of Wick on the A99 is appalling, in some spots the road dips dangerously low where the new tarmac was layed. Like riding a bucking bronco on a motobike!
    -={ Life is good, make the most of every day}=-

who do i complain to?and will anything be done about it?that cud easily send the wheel alignment off on a car causing it to wear on inside or outside of tyre!!!! or even throw the balancing off,can any1 name a bit off road that is actually flat and smooth for a good distance in caithnessit seems to be all patches and not fully repaired,id ratehr drive a farm road!!!

Default Roads

If you want to moan at someone take it up with Bear not the council as they no longer do that road at lidils by Wick the council road workers work very hard maintaining the roads that they are responsable for.

Well, apologies to the council and Thanks to Beena and Jocmace for putting me straight, didn't realise that part of the road was covered by Bear as well. I'll write to them instead.

Default Wick Road

The road out from Wick will be resurfaced all the way out to Toftcarl.

Whilst that may adress the issue of the bumpy ride wa hae all ben having over the past few months there is another dig on the way I understand. Scottish Gas will be descending on Wick to relay gas pipes in p[arts of the twon so we may see someof the same road dug once again.

On the Pultneytown side there will a big dig of roads once they get oto the pipe workk for the wick Heat and Poewer scheme. This will require a pipe to be laid round all of the streets n Pulteneytown in the first phase of the new heating sceme.

Hopefuly this is a good thing in the long run for Wick as it is major investment in the infrastructure and hopefully will lead to warmer homes at a cheaper price.

The new water pipes being laid have life I understand of probably 80 -100 years so although we take our ututlitiesd for granted they do need to be renewed from time to time and much of it is out of sight we at least we know that it is there for the future.

Default Re: Wick Road

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie
    Whilst that may adress the issue of the bumpy ride wa hae all ben having over the past few months there is another dig on the way I understand. Scottish Gas will be descending on Wick to relay gas pipes in p[arts of the twon so we may see someof the same road dug once again.

Hopefuly this is a good thing in the long run for Wick as it is major investment in the infrastructure and hopefully will lead to warmer homes at a cheaper price.
    It would be a good thing if all the big utilities companies contacted each other before digging up our roads and then maybe townsfolk would only be inconvenienced once every few years rather than what seems like every few months.

Default Re: thurso!!!

Quote Originally Posted by roybacer
    whats happened to the road in thurso passing the train station on the way up to the high school/college road,another messed up attempt to resurface the road?
    It was resurfaced yesterday and about time to!!

iam talkin about thurso not lidls and i saw the council tryin to sirt its pathetic and how r we all suposed to know who owns what road they are all pathetic bumpy and are not maintained to any standard what so ever

Undoubtedly a factor in the state of a lot of the road in Caithness is due to the non stop haul of fish from Scrabster; mainly from Faroes.

It is doubtful if any economic benefit from this trade outweighs the cost in terms of road damage.

last post totally irrelevant! I have never seen a fish lorry going across castlegreen road or up towards the college and these are the two worst streets in thurso - it is purely down to shoddy work and cheap materials being used to cut costs. both of our cars are marked and both have chipped windscreens from the last attempts to resuface these roads - we wait with interest to see if this latest skim of tar painted on will make any difference!

im sure 1 decent job instead of 3times a year wud be alot cheaper,dosnt take a proffesional to figure out the roads r rubbish,i dont care if its the council or bear they both do shoddy rubbish jobs of the roads consequence i got a very chipped windscreen,thats what i pay road tax for is it?

Thrumster - next to the best pub in the world "The Old Smiddy Inn"

Default State of Roads

There is no debate to be had over this. The roads in Caithness are rediculous - an aboslute disgrace! They are a discouragement to tourists - Coaches, Caravans, cars, you name it. They incur the wrath of the locals who have to put up with sub standard servicing and second class travel provision. In this modern world it is NOT acceptable to have to be satisfied with the poor standard of roads that we have.

By the way, I don't accept that Bear or the Highland Council are one better than the other - I am well aware what one thinks about the other. I don't care for their funding issues - different quality road surfaces are one thing - but poor quality workmanship is another - and both these issues provide for ample amounts of problems in our county. Nice to see the roads being provided to the standard at the Ord and Berriedale, hilarious there is such a gulf of quality between them and the rubble placed beneath our wheels elsewhere!

The road to Thrumster from Wick at the moment with the uneven road surface and countless pot holes at the left hand verge is a danger to the travelling public and a disgrace to the quality image of this county. The fact it is as a result of improving other services is irrelevant - dig it up and repair it - PROPERLY!!! Our roads in general are poorly attended to and badly repaired when laying services. There are COUNTLESS examples in this county of this.

Lots of heavy traffic using the road??? Dear me, should we ban them? Replace the big lorries with lots of wee ones? Send the fish to other markets? Get a grip! Provide the quality of communication required by the county's economy and it will blossom. Suit the economy to the quality of communication system we are prepared to provide and given the state of the roads - it will go bust sooner rather than later!!!

The persons and companies responsible need to take a long look at themselves and their operations. You do nothing for the county's economy and even less for our belief in you capabilities!!!!

Default Re: State of Roads

Quote Originally Posted by weeboyagee
    There is no debate to be had over this. The roads in Caithness are rediculous - an aboslute disgrace! They are a discouragement to tourists - Coaches, Caravans, cars, you name it. They incur the wrath of the locals who have to put up with sub standard servicing and second class travel provision. In this modern world it is NOT acceptable to have to be satisfied with the poor standard of roads that we have.
    I disagree.

I'd say our roads are some of the best in Britain. The problem is that people in Caithness have been spoilt by having exceptionally good roads for so long as soon as they start catching up with the rest of Britain and get the occasional bad spot they complain.

I used to drive all over England 20 years ago and even then there wasn't an area with roads which were a patch on the roads in Caithness now. I used to have to allow an hour to drive 10 miles, there were roadworks with long delays every few miles and the roads were bumper to bumper with cars.

The roads in Caithness are a pleasure to drive on, down in England they were a nightmare which never ended it just got worse.

Well said Fred!

If weeboyagee and co got off their high horses and saw the state of the roads everywhere else in the country (Edinburgh prime example!) then they would realise that the roads in caithness are far from "an absolute disgrace".

yes fred 20 years ago in england this is now we are talking about and not england,if this is the best roads in britain i would hate to see the worst,there is no doubt in my mind these are 1 off the worst i have ever seenif the roads are so good why do they get dug up every 6weeks and still are uneven

Cliff claven wrote-
    Well said Fred!

If weeboyagee and co got off their high horses and saw the state of the roads everywhere else in the country (Edinburgh prime example!) then they would realise that the roads in caithness are far from "an absolute disgrace".

Why should they get of their high horse,why should the roads become substandard just because everyone else has them.It's alot easier to keep them up to grade than letting them deteriate
    A new broom sweeps clean,but a old one knows all the corners!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast