Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Litter

Default Litter

I had the misfortune to follow a van belonging to a Wick firm on the Groats to Wick road yesterday about 12.30pm. Just before we reached Reiss, a bit of paper was thrown from the passenger window. About three minutes later, more litter was thrown out, including a crisp bag. Obviously, the van passenger was enjoying his lunch.
    What is wrong with people like this, who cannot see that they are destroying the beauty of Caithness? I could have understood it, to an extent, if it had been tourists, but they were obviously locals. I would write to the firm if I thought it would make any difference, but my letter would probably be thrown out of a van window!

Quote Originally Posted by Shona F. View Post
    I had the misfortune to follow a van belonging to a Wick firm on the Groats to Wick road yesterday about 12.30pm. Just before we reached Reiss, a bit of paper was thrown from the passenger window. About three minutes later, more litter was thrown out, including a crisp bag. Obviously, the van passenger was enjoying his lunch.
    What is wrong with people like this, who cannot see that they are destroying the beauty of Caithness? I could have understood it, to an extent, if it had been tourists, but they were obviously locals. I would write to the firm if I thought it would make any difference, but my letter would probably be thrown out of a van window!
    RRRG. This sort of thing makes me so angry!! People have no consideration whatsoever! There's no need for it, but it seems there's nothing we can do about it .

Does anyone know how successful the enforecment of fixed penalties litter dropping has been?

Stick the company name on here. If the owners of the firm get wind of it, believe me, they'll make sure it doesn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    Stick the company name on here. If the owners of the firm get wind of it, believe me, they'll make sure it doesn't happen again.
    Big red van, it was, the name MM Miller on it. Shame on you!

Did you get the reg number? Next time report it to the police and make a statement if you feel so strongly about it. The least they could do is have a word with the driver but they could bring a case provided there is enough evidence.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Would be nice if the company saw this!!

Funny that does'nt come as a suprise

http://forum.caithness.org/showpost....9&postcount=19

Well the buyer for them posts here, so it's a possibility.

I did memorise the reg. but I was on my way to work, and had forgotten it by the time I found a pen and paper. I was so mad that if I had not been on my way to work, I would have followed the van until it stopped and had words with the culprit myself. I don't know if the police could have done anything. What evidence did I have? There were at least two in the van and only me in my car. It would have been their word against mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Did you get the reg number? Next time report it to the police and make a statement if you feel so strongly about it. The least they could do is have a word with the driver but they could bring a case provided there is enough evidence.

Im not sure that was the right thing to do by putting the companys name on here, as its not there fault one of their employees threw rubbish out the window. If you felt that strongly about it why didn't you follow the van and speak to him yourself or go to the company and find out who it was.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=201939&postcount=19

Well the buyer for them posts here, so it's a possibility.
    Good investigation work, henry!!

I did memorise the reg. but I was on my way to work, and had forgotten it by the time I found a pen and paper. I was so mad that if I had not been on my way to work, I would have followed the van until it stopped and had words with the culprit myself. I don't know if the police could have done anything. What evidence did I have? There were at least two in the van and only me in my car. It would have been their word against mine.
    We must of posted at the same time, i see now you where going to your work and couldn't follow the van.

I did have reservations about stating the company name, but I think that a stern word from the boss would have more effect than a stern word from little me. An employee represents the company he/she works for. I've already answered your question in another reply.

quote=floyed;287773]Im not sure that was the right thing to do by putting the companys name on here, as its not there fault one of their employees threw rubbish out the window. If you felt that strongly about it why didn't you follow the van and speak to him yourself or go to the company and find out who it was.[/quote]

dont think it would be a good idea for a woman on her own to approach strange men in a van .. not in this day and age im afraid .

Make it BIG:

MM Miller employ a litter lout!

I hate litter louts. Sitting here I am looking down the road and there is litter everywhere down the street. In fact, I'll get a bag and go out and clear it up in a minute.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Exclamation

its not just litter that bugs me, yesterday a woman in a 4x4 was in my street rolled down her window and through a fag end into my garden, by the time i got to door she had driven off, this irrates me, my front garden is like an ashtray im fed up of cleaning up other peoples mess
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

I believe Millers have been informed about this thread.

Will be interesting to see if there's any response

Angry

This is a top peeve of mine! I have no time for litterbugs. I quite often see school kids leaving the bakery, pie in hand, and they just chuck the paper bag on the ground right beside the bin. Worse still parents with little ones in buggy's unwrapping sweets and just dropping the wrapper, if you don't teach your kids to put litter in bins then they won't ever bother.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

This totally drives me up the wall, if everyone dropped litter what state would the place be in. In the last week i have been in both Somerfield and Tesco car parks in Wick and on both occasions have come accross a carrier bag from the shop stuffed full of wrappers cans/bottles which someone has just deposited out of their car door. Too lazy to get off their rear ends and walk a hundred yards to the bin or even take it home and put it in their bin. And i must say it is not always the younger generation that are guilty of this.

Angry

I hate litter!!!!!

Why oh why can't people just take their litter home and put it in the bin?!!!!

Mind you it's not just paper etc, which is bad enough, but found a filing cabinet which had been dumped in a ditch!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast