Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: To Hell and Back

Default To Hell and Back

Did anyone see this programme on BBC2 tonight? I don't know the first thing about rock climbing but this was gripping.

http://davemacleod.blogspot.com/2007...-and-back.html

I don't know how Claire, his wife, can live that sort of lifestyle and enjoy it.

First thread, be gentle please.
    Last edited by Moi x; 24-Oct-07 at 22:42.

Hi
    I used to climb, it was quite funny when he talked about always being within his limits and that climb being close. He was at a point far beyond where he was certain he was going to survive. However if my mate told me a hold was dry when he wasn't sure I don't think I'd be mates for long.

Default rocky

He scared the life out of me. I'd bump up the life insurance if I was his missus

Quote Originally Posted by Moi x View Post
    I don't know the first thing about rock climbing but this was gripping.
    I think you do know the first thing!

The pun was unintended. I noticed it afterwards but I liked it so I left it.

Moi x

He was a superb athlete but having climbed a lot in the old days I found the business of checking out the route on a top rope and trying the moves many times before making them free for the filmed attempt a quite different concept to climbing on sight.

For those of you who saw it, compare it with the recent amazing Joe Simpson reconstruction of the tragic Eiger north face attempt based on the book the White Spider which took place in the late thirties with what was primitive equipment by todays standards. This is now to be issued as a DVD and will be a great Christmas stocking filler for any mountain climbers.

For those of you who saw it, compare it with the recent amazing Joe Simpson reconstruction of the tragic Eiger north face attempt based on the book the White Spider which took place in the late thirties with what was primitive equipment by todays standards. This is now to be issued as a DVD and will be a great Christmas stocking filler for any mountain climbers.[/quote]

I watched that too and was totally amazed by their complete obsession with the climb.There was no sense of their own mortality only the climb.
    Sometimes I was I was that passionate about something.
    The nearest a mountain I@ve climed has been in a cable car in the Alps and that was so exilerating
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Cuddlepop, who needs the Alps when you've got the amazing Cuillins on your doorstep not to mention Trotternish and the Red Cuillin.

The Black Cuilinns are where many of our leading alpinists did their training and are the only mountains in Britain named after the individuals who first climbed them!

Quote Originally Posted by Errogie View Post
    Cuddlepop, who needs the Alps when you've got the amazing Cuillins on your doorstep not to mention Trotternish and the Red Cuillin.

The Black Cuilinns are where many of our leading alpinists did their training and are the only mountains in Britain named after the individuals who first climbed them!
    I'm ashamed to say even after twenty odd years living here I've only been up the old man of storr.

Unfit thats my problem.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I'm scared of heights and I get vertigo on a ladder so I can't understand why anyone needs to climb anything. I'm getting dizzy just thinking about it.

Moi x