Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Important Information!!!

Default Important Information!!!

Was reading BBC site and came across this
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052223.stm

Ah, thank goodness I use WPA then.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Oh dear .. I have a BT Home Hub. Thanks for posting this Highlander, I will contact them to see what they are doing about upgrading.

The thing about encryption is that it can never be 100% secure. There has always been vulnerabilities in WEP. Every so often there is a big hype about security, everyone panicks, the ISP's roll out updates, everyone is happy. More often than not these don't do much.

I'm not too worried about this. In a rural place like this we don't need to worry. I would notice if anyone was sitting outside, and as for neighbours.... well I hope that they are as honest as they seem.

BUT!!!! If you can use WPA instead of WEP then do so. It is much more secure.
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

Quote Originally Posted by Camel Spider View Post
    Oh dear .. I have a BT Home Hub. Thanks for posting this Highlander, I will contact them to see what they are doing about upgrading.
    If you log onto your Hub as admin user rather than basic you can change to WPA as the encryption protocol is already supported on the home hub. It is set up as WEP by default and can be easily changed.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject - Winston Spencer Churchill

some1 near to me has been hacked through wi fi by a supposedly computer repair man,not going to name names though

I'm not bothered. You can barely get a signal inside nevermind outside.
    Say what?

I've always found that my homehub has great signal? I am able to recieve the signal of a neighbour who's house is about 70m away. (I know its theirs because I set it up for them).
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

Sometimes it is great being a technophobe!
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda the flump View Post
    If you log onto your Hub as admin user rather than basic you can change to WPA as the encryption protocol is already supported on the home hub. It is set up as WEP by default and can be easily changed.
    Done !! .. Thanks for the pointer.

Heh, am in a B&B in Inversnechie just now surfing through their totally unsecured wireless connection!

When we arrived we asked about wireless as they had mentioned it was available, the owner said that he was having problems with it. Naturally I took a wee look (a busmans holiday !) to find that, when his wife had turned off power to the whole lot the previous night, the wireless router had lost its ADSL login username and password.

Managed to get those input and back online, then I said "Your security is turned off - what type and code do you normally have it set to?" to which he replied "None"!

I tried explaining that down here he should have WEP as a bare minimum but he wasn't interested!. So if you're looking for an unencrypted WiFi spot in Inverness scroll down...

...Ha, you've got to be kidding

I do look forward to the day where wireless internet access is everywhere and free. Until then get off my connection!
    Say what?

I ve changed mine over to WPA today.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

It's such a scary thought, hope nobody's had bad experiences with fraud, etc?