Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accident at Berriedale Braes

Post Accident at Berriedale Braes

Just got home after a 4 hour delay due to a cattle lorry going south catching fire and crashing into the barriers at the Braes.

Seems like the fully loaded vehicle was coming down the braes too fast and due the braking heavy coming to the first hairpin the brakes have caught fire, thus setting the cab on fire and smashing into the barriers and overturning.

Driver and passenger escaped (somehow) from the cab which ended up nearly over the edge, they were both taken to hospital, injuries unknown.

Approx 48 cattle were loaded with an unknown number killed or put to sleep.

The fire crews are still trying to recover the vehicle but the road has now been partially reopened.

It really is a pig of a road and no doubt that this will add to the debate for the flyover.

I travel that road every day and have yet to see a cattle truck going too fast. But it is a bad road, and I hope that driver and passenger are not badly hurt.

Having to drive down that road is enough to put me off wanting to start driving lessons. It's very intimidating!
    Say what?

Seems this was a private cattle vehicle so their may be a possibility that he wouldn't know the road too well...

Quote Originally Posted by huh View Post
    Having to drive down that road is enough to put me off wanting to start driving lessons. It's very intimidating!
    Its not intimidating, it just demands a little respect.

They should put a bridge over there in the same way they did Dunbeath.

personally i feel there is nothing wrong with the road. you just have to drive to theroad conditions and with berriedale that means a lot slower and watch out for larger vehicles that are coming round the northside hairpin.

I agree. No Way should they put a bridge across. Just take it easy, it's not that bad.
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

Quote Originally Posted by ber219 View Post
    this was a private cattle vehicle
    I didn't know there were public cattle vehicles available. Do cattle in the over 30 month scheme qualify for a free pass?
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Cool

I wouldn't like to see a flyover built in Berriedale however i do believe it is just a matter of time, although last night was a rare instance the main problem is lorries coming North getting hitched up on the hairpin as they can't swing out wide enough to give the trailer room to clear the barrier.

Its not too much of a problem for local drivers and drivers who do the trip regulary but for visitors its just something they dont expect.

Tisme: "I agree. No Way should they put a bridge across. Just take it easy, it's not that bad."

I think you must be in the minority, the Braes have been the location of countless accidents ( "I think I am correct in saying that a year does not pass when an HGV LGV does not have a serious accident, brakes failure, and even running out of the emergency sand pit run off road near the bottom.. The journey to Thurso was, warm, dry and uneventful apart from the 2 lorry accident at Berriedale Braes.. A Kirkwall man was taken to hospital in Wick on Thursday after a road accident at Berriedale on the Scottish mainland") and so it goes on. Fair enough it might be fine for those locals who are used to it and think it's quaint, but for those from the south who have travelled a great many hours to be then confronted with a Third World road, it's no joke.

Common sense:
    The Caithness Partnership Caithness Transport Forum:
    BERRIEDALE BRAES CROSSING: CTF was pleased to see that the Berriedale Braes crossing features in the Provisional Programme and we would like to see this pushed forward in the timetable to become an early priority within the programme.
    As a lifeline road for both Caithness and Orkney the A9 north of Helmsdale must be a major priority in any regional transport strategy. In 2006 a series of landslips close to the road at the Berriedale Brae brought the vulnerability of the road into sharp focus and its importance as the main route for a population of 25,000 in Caithness and an additional 19,000 in Orkney. The alternative route into the county from the south via Kildonan Strath (single track) is already is a precarious state and weight restrictions are imposed.
    Over the next 20-30 years there will be additional usage of the A9 into Caithness as major developments such as the Pentland Firth energy developments, the super-port in Scapa Flow and the forecast timber harvest (several million tones in Caithness and Sutherland) starting in 2010 make early action on a Berriedale Braes crossing imperative.
    The CTF has received confirmation that the A9 Inverness to Thurso route is regarded as part of the Trans European Network and we understand that there is an obligation that these routes are of a “high, uniform and continuous level of service, comfort and safety” to which sections of the A9 north of Dornoch clearly do not comply.
    National strategic outcome: Improved journey times and connections, improving quality, accessibility and affordability of services to, from and within remote and rural areas in Scotland

No I think we should keep it, its not as if its a steep hair pin, (there many far worse). It adds a bit of character to whats quite a boring road for driving, not too bad as a passenger.
    It also gives the tourists a buzz, when I worked in Devon in a large holiday complex there was a road the coach drivers used to take up on Exmoor going down to Lynmouth which dropped from a very great height going down (20%) at the top down to (25%) at the bottom along a cliff edge. The Tourists would talk about it for days, little did they know once they got down it, that the other two routes out were nearly as bad.
    One of Somersets biggest Tourist attractions is Porlock Hill, where the road off of Exmoor drops nearly 400m at 25% with one hair pin at 28%, however I dont think coaches go down that one (A toll Road was built around), you certainly get a buzz going up it even after many times.
    I know Tourists are the last thing on peoples minds if they drive to Inverness on a regular basis, but we are going to become increasingly dependent on that side for our economy.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

A by-pass.....don't lose it with another Bridge, its a pity they could not have by passed Dunbeath, it looks a disaster. The faster a road the less stops people make the more the local community suffers in the long run.
    Even if we find the light it will be surround by shadow.

Came down the Brae yesterday on my way south at approx. 13:30 the road was so quiet and clear, as it was all the way back to Edinburgh, sorry to hear about the accident, it may have been mechanical failure.
    I would like to pay compliments to the courteous drivers employed by D Stevens, who all indicated to let us pass them any time we got stuck behind them heading North on Friday, they were the only drivers who did this, Thanks again Lads.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Welcomefamily View Post
    No I think we should keep it, its not as if its a steep hair pin, (there many far worse). It adds a bit of character to whats quite a boring road for driving, not too bad as a passenger.
    It also gives the tourists a buzz, when I worked in Devon in a large holiday complex there was a road the coach drivers used to take up on Exmoor going down to Lynmouth which dropped from a very great height going down (20%) at the top down to (25%) at the bottom along a cliff edge. The Tourists would talk about it for days, little did they know once they got down it, that the other two routes out were nearly as bad.
    One of Somersets biggest Tourist attractions is Porlock Hill, where the road off of Exmoor drops nearly 400m at 25% with one hair pin at 28%, however I dont think coaches go down that one (A toll Road was built around), you certainly get a buzz going up it even after many times.
    I know Tourists are the last thing on peoples minds if they drive to Inverness on a regular basis, but we are going to become increasingly dependent on that side for our economy.
    I agree with you about there being far worse hills in other parts of Britain but the big difference is that the A9 is the only viable route into the county and as we get more shops there will be more heavy traffic. Get a diesel spill the bends are a death trap, get snow even the snowplough can't get up, get a heavy vehicle can't take the hill the road is blocked, the county is effectively cut off for road transport.

Quaint hills are fine where they can be bypassed, the A9 is our lifeline, our main road, practically the only road in or out.

can anyone tell me what percentage the braes are please?
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    They should put a bridge over there in the same way they did Dunbeath.
    As long as they get their measurements right. The climb after the bridge (going south) is far too steep (and who would use the escape bed at the same place . . . going north?)

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Tisme: "I agree. No Way should they put a bridge across. Just take it easy, it's not that bad."

I think you must be in the minority, the Braes have been the location of countless accidents ( "I think I am correct in saying that a year does not pass when an HGV LGV does not have a serious accident, brakes failure, and even running out of the emergency sand pit run off road near the bottom.. The journey to Thurso was, warm, dry and uneventful apart from the 2 lorry accident at Berriedale Braes.. A Kirkwall man was taken to hospital in Wick on Thursday after a road accident at Berriedale on the Scottish mainland") and so it goes on. Fair enough it might be fine for those locals who are used to it and think it's quaint, but for those from the south who have travelled a great many hours to be then confronted with a Third World road, it's no joke.

Common sense:
    The Caithness Partnership Caithness Transport Forum:
    BERRIEDALE BRAES CROSSING: CTF was pleased to see that the Berriedale Braes crossing features in the Provisional Programme and we would like to see this pushed forward in the timetable to become an early priority within the programme.
    As a lifeline road for both Caithness and Orkney the A9 north of Helmsdale must be a major priority in any regional transport strategy. In 2006 a series of landslips close to the road at the Berriedale Brae brought the vulnerability of the road into sharp focus and its importance as the main route for a population of 25,000 in Caithness and an additional 19,000 in Orkney. The alternative route into the county from the south via Kildonan Strath (single track) is already is a precarious state and weight restrictions are imposed.
    Over the next 20-30 years there will be additional usage of the A9 into Caithness as major developments such as the Pentland Firth energy developments, the super-port in Scapa Flow and the forecast timber harvest (several million tones in Caithness and Sutherland) starting in 2010 make early action on a Berriedale Braes crossing imperative.
    The CTF has received confirmation that the A9 Inverness to Thurso route is regarded as part of the Trans European Network and we understand that there is an obligation that these routes are of a “high, uniform and continuous level of service, comfort and safety” to which sections of the A9 north of Dornoch clearly do not comply.
    National strategic outcome: Improved journey times and connections, improving quality, accessibility and affordability of services to, from and within remote and rural areas in Scotland
    I don't think I am really. Fair comment, I am familiar with the road and do see it through rose tinted specs coz I know I am only 40 mins away form home once I pass the braes, but. You say about people coming up from South don't expect it. But surely it is up to the driver to ensure he is driving in the correct state to approach, you can't expect every road to be straightened, flattened etc to compensate for those who are not local!! If I am going somewhere new I take my time anyway, and don't blame the road for my driving, just myself for not being more cautious.
    He who laughs last - 'Probably didn't get it!'

They should put a bridge across for heavy goods vehicles and caravans and anyone else who wants to use it, but the braes should still be open for access and anyone else wanting to use that way as there's houses,etc on one side. Other counties do this, puting in an alternative road so drivers can have the choice.

A good hug often helps

Whatever (if anything) they decide to do it will be very intresting to see.
    They have talked about it for long enough!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast