Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Scottish Gas warning folks

Unhappy Scottish Gas warning folks

We just checked our bank statement and discovered that Scottish Gas had taken out an unauthorised transaction from our account. We'd set up a DD with them and had agreed a specified amount. This was fine until this month when we noticed they had taken out more than £25 extra. They hadn't told us about this change. The upshot of this thread is that anyone who deals with Scottish Gas and has a DD set up with them to keep an eye on the bank statements. This could happen to you.

we set up the dd sheme with scottish gas , after a while they put our dd up to a crazy figure we phoned and asked was this right , they asked us all sorts of questions, how many in house ,how many teenagers, how many females, and so on , then said the figures quoted where ok , so we let it run after a year they owed us near 800 quid lol, we got it back so do keep a eye on them

scottish gas did that to us to my OH phoned them and got the amount lowered to a more realistic figure.

Water board , Anglian , did near on the same to us. Said our water was a staggering £100 a month , then when i phoned to moan they said OK pay us £30 a month. How can they charge £100 then drop it to £30 just like that. They should of said £30 in the first place. It makes me sooooooooo mad ! Jan x
    computer says no ........

That's why I have no direct debits.

I prefer a real bill. Saves them benefiting from your money that you do not owe them.

Bit off topic but concerning direct debits - I checked my online banking recently and discovered a DD had been set up without my knowledge or consent, it was for an animal charity I think, luckily I deleted it before they helped themselves to any cash. It pays to keep an eye on standing orders and direct debits.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Smile

Just to give you an update. We've cancelled our DD with Scottish Gas so at least in future we are in charge. It's a good idea to check your accounts as often as you can, just in case...

We have an on going battle with our Southern Electric gas bill, they increase the DD every six months or so and I phone up and complain and they then put it back to the original figure. this has been happening for at least three years.
    It seems a nationwide scam by all the utilities.

they did this to us recently but they had said in the recent bill at the bottom that they felt the need to up it by £10 a month and to phone if this was a problem, however it was a good job i read all the bill properly as often i don't as we pay by DD

thank heavens i have pre payment meters for both gas and electricity that way i know what im spending and what im not spending

We cancelled our Scottish Gas DD, just pay it when the bill comes in now.