Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: School dinners

Default School dinners

Love them or hate them, what did you like / dislike?
    I liked their Cabbage, mashed potato and Gypsy tart (1960's) I cannae remember any dislikes, it was all home made cooking.

A good hug often helps

Well it was a long time ago. I seem to remember in Miller acadamey things like a moulded ice cream scoop full of mash, two slices of spam, some cold boiled cabbage and beetroot. Followed by creamed rice and bits of peaches accompanied by the scowling face of Mrs Budge and her big spoon. She gave the whole place the feel of Oliver Twist's soup kitchen :L

They were no bad though in my day I have to say, and pretty healthy mostly. I remember Apple Crumble and Custard was the thing everyone looked forward too.

Ive just remembered a rhyme re school dinners,
    Gypsy tart makes you fart
    apple crumble makes it rumble
    custard powder makes it louder

anyone remember e rest?

A good hug often helps

I certainly remember school meals. It was a long time ago but I still remember there were always two choices, take it or leave it! But that was before the days of the Health Gestapo with their insistence of “Five a day” (does anybody know why five and not four or six?) and this is bad for you and that’s not good for you and you mustn’t drink that but you must eat this.

I’m at a complete loss to understand how we managed to survive before Jamie Oliver gave everybody the benefit of his wisdom. If we had been offered that rubbish I suspect that, apart from the overweight “eat everything in sight crew” most of us would definitely have taken the “leave it” option.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Mince and tatties was good and like the others apple crumble was a favourite too.

I hated Tapioca or frogs eggs as we called them
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I wonder why the custard was pink and not yellow?
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Quote Originally Posted by connieb19 View Post
    I wonder why the custard was pink and not yellow?
    Its suppose to be strawberry flavoured custard thats why its pink.
    Dont remember it tasting of stawberrys though do you?
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

I canna remember it tasting like anything lol. I hated school dinners though, luckily I lived close enough to the school to go home. I can remember the horrible smell coming from the dinner centre though.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

Tatie hash was my favorite, I avoided cow pats (curried mince) and frog spawn(tapioca pudding) with a vengeance.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

crikey, from reading the threads ,im now glad that i ,ve never ever had a school dinner. i to lived close enough to the school to just go home.
    i remember skinks horse & cart that used to go to the dinner centre and collect the pigs swill & it sure did stink.

I seem to remember black pudding with everymeal and mrs budge with her spoon still gives me nightmares

My kids go school dinners most days and they seem to really like them , the new menus are very healthy and have a good range week to week. I find they are also less likley to need snacks after school too which is always a plus

Smile

Having worked in a school kitchen, I wouldn't let my kids go. Ok, the food's ok, not brilliant, but it's not as it seems...

karia Guest

Hi Folks,

Never had a school dinner, I developed a mortal fear of them based on the strange smelling grey mush that burbled and percolated out of the drain adjacent to the kitchens!

Can still smell it just typing this.

karia

karia Guest

Hi Again,

When my OH was a wee lad at school in Port Skerra, the cook was a neighbour of his and he loved her cooking as did the other kids.

One day however, she served up tapioca and all the other kids turned up their noses at it. He knew that he liked it so had a bowl then worried about the poor woman's feelings went back for another..and another....and another!

He was physically restrained from having bowl no.5,..... not bad for a six year old!

And no...he wasn't ill!

Karia

I remember fondly Mrs Coghill, the head cook from Castletown Primary, who, as a neighbour now of my Gran, I found out also remembers me. Why does she remember me after 30+ years you might ask? For always going up for seconds

Those who know me can atest to my spare tyre, part of which was her doing

I pretty much ate everything (surprise surprise!) but have never been able to stomach tapioca or rice pudding.

You wern't the only one that went up for seconds at Castletown school bob, the food was lovely, must check the cupboars for 'frog spawn' yummy
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I remember steak and kidney pie, and a kind of tart with a blancmange-type filling and the yummiest (probably synthetic) buttercream spiral blob on top..............sounds hideous but was really good.

I still think of it sometimes.........aah!

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    I remember steak and kidney pie, and a kind of tart with a blancmange-type filling and the yummiest (probably synthetic) buttercream spiral blob on top..............sounds hideous but was really good.

I still think of it sometimes.........aah!
    Oh Helen,

To think I had you pegged as having the talent of Delia and the looks of Nigella..and there you are hankering after synthetic puds...shame on you!

Karia

mars bar slice was 1 of my faves
    my youngest sister used to be sick every friday afternoon until it was noticed that she was only unwell after eating the angel delight.
    mondays used to be soup and sandwiches usually tomato soup and cheese sandwiches as we had swimming lessons in the morning

I hated the arctic roll we used to get... soggy sponge and tasteless ice cream, loved the frog spawn tho, still do LOL
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast