Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: ship wreck at dounreay

Default ship wreck at dounreay

hi does any one rember the name of the ship that was wrecked of dounreay some time in the 70s. she shed her load of timber at the time and a lot of locals were salvaging it for their own use.

will ask my dad he has a scrapbook of local boats, will reply tomorrow

Default ship wreck at Dounreay

There was no ship wreck that I remember then but I think a load of timber was washed of the deck of a ship up about Tounge and it was washed ashore at Dounreay and the American Base. I think it was approx 1979 - 1980

I remember that. My friend's dad and my dad were in the coastguard and were involved in the incident. They took us down to the shore to see it a couple of days later. I was fairly young so can't remember the name of the ship - I do remember loads of tins without labels on floating around.

Default your probably right.

hi you are probably right. you wouldn,t happen to now the name of the ship?

I can recall two ship wrecks off Dounrey in the time I was there (1969 to 2004).

Both were fishing trawlers - one founded on the rocks and broke up in a geo, just off the eastern perimeter of the site and was probably in the mid seventies- the second was, as I recall, the case of a boat steaming straight up on the shelved shoreline just to the west of DFR, probably late eighties.

i can mind working on the new shooting range on the dounreay site when all the timber was being washed up on the beaches i would guess it was 1981, the new range was down near the beach so we could see loads of the timber , sure it was said at the time it was washed off some ship dont think it was a wreck