Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you call them?

Default What do you call them?

I thought this deserved a whole new thread. Well, actually, my reply was taking the op totally off-topic.

Jsherris wrote :-
    "I always have problems with bread rolls.
    In the south, they are rolls, slightly flattened, then they are baps...
    Here they are barms, whatever size or shape - in Middlesbrough, they are bread buns, although a bun is something you put icing & cherry on top of!
    In Leeds you would probably ask for a bread cake. At a baker’s in Derby you might be offered acob and on a visit to Coventry you might ask for a batch.
    Tea Cakes are the norm in certain parts of Lancashire - no currants though! And around Tameside, they are known as muffins....

I'm sticking to sandwiches!"

Flat, round, no additives - teacake! ( W Yorks)

I can now reply to Julie.

Jsherris - you'd be even more confused up here in Caithness. "Morning rolls" are usually of a denser texture, more well fired & the ones you'd probably like to fill with bacon etc, "Softies" are great for lunch/sandwiches anytime but if you wanted to be really posh you'd go for "bridge rolls" - they are oblong, slightly sweeter and have a shiny top. My hubby comes from a small village in Caithness - they called them all "baps" - I guess it depended on which type of "roll" was left when the Bakery van arrived.

Sausage rolls are pastry filled with sausage meat but..... in Glasgow sausage rolls are hotdogs. I discovered this a few years ago when my Mum asked for 6 sausage rolls in a Glasgow bakery and was asked "Do you want onions or sauce" (they may have wised up by now). Apparently, they call them "meat rolls" down there.

Scones are different too - varied - but usually requiring a sweet filling rather than a savoury one......

Julie - you need to google the Irish equivalents before you move.

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    The good ones have a look of a lampshade about them...don't you think?

Karia

Quote Originally Posted by northener View Post
    "Teacake" to me has to be a chocolate one - biscuit base, marshmallow top, covered in chocolate. I buy them in Tesco's.

Now you've started something! I've known disputes about such serious matters end up with people having to be restrained from committing acts of violence.

For some reason the names can vary between places less than 10 miles apart and in different directions. You can have four areas within that sort of area and have four completely different names for each.

During the time I was dragged up in Preston I never heard anybody mention "Baps" yet the name is quite common here in Caithness and also in certain parts of Southern England.
    There seems to be no rhyme or reason which links the places using the same names or indeed different names in places close by.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Moira, Glasgow has it right! "Hotdog" is an imported American name for a Sausage roll. They were always called Sausage Rolls in Lancashire as well.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

We used to get these delicious things called "butteries" in Aberdeen, very flaky, just yummy when toasted. Probably very bad for you! I've seen them labelled as "Aberdeen rolls" in Tesco.

Then there's the different kinds of pancakes, crumpets and muffins...mmmm....and something called a pikelet that I haven't quite got to grips with!

Blackpool today..... who knows where tomorrow!

Ok, I never can resist a good google... although I use Ixquick myself....

So, in Ireland you don't get loaves... you get Batch bread or pan bread... Pan bread is more like a usual loaf.. Batch bread looks like a darker top crust....

And then we're back to good old Rolls! Now I've spent 9 years asking for a barm cake, I go back to rolls when we move!

But from various websites i also found....
    Baps traditionally made in Scotland are not sweet, unlike the Irish version which may contain currants.
    Ireland is famed for its soda bread more commonly known as 'cake' or 'fahl'.

One soda bread we will definitely be trying is: Guinness Wholegrain Bread - looks delicious!

And then I found.....
    Ulster Fry. Popular as its name suggests in the North of Ireland no visitor to Ireland should miss this traditional meal usually served as a breakfast but often eaten at any time of the day. The meal consists of the following Bacon, Sausages, Black Pudding, White Pudding, Mushrooms, Tomato and Eggs served with Soda Bread and Potato Farl
    WHAT is WHITE pudding?????

And why is it when I go looking for answers, I find even more questions??
    I wish I'd picked more daisies.........(anon)

karia Guest

Oh Angela!

Aberdeen butteries!

The best and most cholesterol compromising pastry on the planet..Mmm!

The flaky buttery crumbly .....ness!

karia

I've seen a supermarket offer 'well fired rolls' for sale.
    They just looked burnt tae me!!!
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Oh Angela!

Aberdeen butteries!

The best and most cholesterol compromising pastry on the planet..Mmm!

The flaky buttery crumbly .....ness!

karia
    I know, karia, they're so utterly mouth-watering and moreish they just have to be bad for you! A worthy self-denying slice of wholemeal toast is just not the same!

Quote Originally Posted by jsherris View Post
    WHAT is WHITE pudding?????

I think its the same thing as a meally pudding. (high in fibre low in almost every thing else) best eaten with lots of pepper.

In Plymouth they do a similar delicacy called a Groats (or Groat ) pudding....... opposite end of the country I wonder if there is any connection.
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

In south Cumbria (where I hail from)

Bun=any round bread-like structure no more than 5" diam

Teacake=any round bread like structure no more than 5" diam but with currants in it.

Bap=a neo-posh/nancy term (from the south of England) for a bun-like thing that is bigger than 5".

Muffin=a sweet oversized scone with currants in it.

Crumpet=a round doughy flat thing with swiss-cheese holes in it that tastes good toasted.

Roll=an intimate act performed in towers of hay...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    We used to get these delicious things called "butteries" in Aberdeen, very flaky, just yummy when toasted. Probably very bad for you! I've seen them labelled as "Aberdeen rolls" in Tesco.

Then there's the different kinds of pancakes, crumpets and muffins...mmmm....and something called a pikelet that I haven't quite got to grips with!
    Were they from the bakery in Cullen? It's a wee bit further north - just round the coast from Aberdeen - ask Percy Toboggan.

I've not heard of a pikelet either, unless it's a baby pike

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    In south Cumbria (where I hail from)

Bun=any round bread-like structure no more than 5" diam

Teacake=any round bread like structure no more than 5" diam but with currants in it.

Bap=a neo-posh/nancy term (from the south of England) for a bun-like thing that is bigger than 5".

Muffin=a sweet oversized scone with currants in it.

Crumpet=a round doughy flat thing with swiss-cheese holes in it that tastes good toasted.

Roll=an intimate act performed in towers of hay...
    Thanks Rheghead. Your contribution is appreciated but the lady in me prevents me from responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post

Another name for butteries is rowie, but no matter what they are called, they are delicious warmed ever so slightly and loadsa butter.....

Quote Originally Posted by Moira View Post
    Were they from the bakery in Cullen? It's a wee bit further north - just round the coast from Aberdeen - ask Percy Toboggan.

I've not heard of a pikelet either, unless it's a baby pike
    Moira, I know (and love) Cullen, but the butteries came from a bakery in the city. I think the "pikelet" may come from south of the border...it's not a small fish btw!....something vaguely in the Scottish crumpet/pancake line...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Oh happy day when I re-discovered these marvels in Safeway many years ago. We'd eaten them during our time in Englandshire but no sign of them when we moved up here.

There must have been 15 packets on the shelf - my pal (also an ex-Englishman) & I started stuffing them into our baskets as fast as we could and this poor wifie close by thrust her hand in and got one - almost loosing said hand in the fray!!!

Then she turns and asks "What are they?" - she'd only seen the frenzy going on and figured she'd better nab one first and ask the question after.

We recommended toasting over an open fire (or a grill if no fire available) and then employing a large slab of butter and devouring whilst still hot.

I dunno if she enjoyed them but I had a packet (8) for my tea that night LOL!

pancakes down here are like crumpets, but abit more soggy.
    oh how i miss proper pancakes!!
    (\__/)
    ( o.O) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
    (")_(") your signature, to help him gain World Domination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast