Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypnotism or anything else to stop smoking

Default Hypnotism or anything else to stop smoking

Does anyone know of anyone in Caithness that does hypnotism or anything else as an aid to stopping smoking.

Where are they, what are the sucess rates, costs etc

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Changilass

Get on the patches....they worked for me...but I'm special as you well know.
    And the best of luck in stopping
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Have tried the patches, but they only work for special people like you

I tried the Nicotinell Lozenges this time & found them very helpful over the first few days - better than the patches. Only thing is I found they gave me indigestion but this is a small price to pay to get rid of the weed. I bought them from Boots but I am sure the Doctor can prescribe these as well as the patches which reduces the cost somewhat.

I think, no matter what aid you try in the battle of the weed, the worst part is convincing the little demon in your head NOT that you want to stop BUT that you are DEFINITELY never going to smoke again !

I'm not very far into my latest & last battle to stop smoking. Hope you can convince yourself to join me. Good luck

Have you tried Willpower? If you want to stop then just stop, it worked for me.
    The bottom line is, that if you really want to give up, then you don't need all this extra baloney to accomplish it.
    -={ Life is good, make the most of every day}=-

Not very helpful last post.

If willpower alone was going to do the trick I wouldn't have put the original post on in the first place

Didn't mean to be obtuse, willpower worked for me, thats all.
    The biggest problem I had after giving up smoking was that I had nothing to do with my hands! Some folk were saying last week that you can get a plastic cigarette that gives you a small nicotine fix when you suck on it. I guess this gives you something to do with your hands and also supplies the nicotine to relieve the craving. Sounded like a good idea to me - can't remember what it was called but can be got on prescription from the doctors to keep cost down.
    Good Luck

Default Stopping Smoking for good!

Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

It's a fantastic book that certainly help me stop instantly and has worked for millions of people world wide.
    It's so good the government have put a blanked ban on public advertising on it and him. Even down to no t.v. radio or anything publicly visible.

His method is simple straight forward with no scare tactics
    No weight gain. The psychological need to stop is removed while you smoke....Yeah you got it while you smoke!....I couldn't believe it either but it's right. Stopping doesn't mean deprivation....And....get this....feel great to be a non-smoker.

You can get the book at any good book shop for about £8 - 9.00

There are cd's and such like to help you but I reccomend the original book

The ISBN No is

0-140-27763-3

If your not sure try the internet........ I stopped instantly after smoking for over ten years and I actualy enjoyed the stopping! It's actually fun!

Don't believe me? Then try the book! Trust me it works!

It's a lot cheeper than the patches....why feed yourself with the very thing your trying to give up? Will power? Even those who used willpower will notice a huge change in themselves after they have read it.....they are the most surprised.

Thanks Sketch, I have just ordered the book from Amazon, will let you know if it works

I agree, read the book.

It's not easy but if you take it seriously it works. Still requires a little willpower but puts things into a different perspective that certainly hepled me.

I reckon it's saved me £200 a month for the last 2 years.

My advice, sit down on a friday night, open the book and don't put it down 'till you've finished. Might take 4 or 5 hours but you'll wake up on saturday determined not to smoke again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan
    Have you tried Willpower? If you want to stop then just stop, it worked for me.
    The bottom line is, that if you really want to give up, then you don't need all this extra baloney to accomplish it.
    This is the most useful advice that has been given on this thread. Without willpower there is no desire to quit.

Here is the way to stop smoking.

1. Quit
    2. You feel those pangs to start again.
    3. You don't buy any cigarettes.
    4. You feel those pangs to start again.
    5. You don't accept any cigarettes off anyone.
    6.You feel those pangs to start again.
    7. You buy cigarettes and put them in your mouth.
    8. You take them out of your mouth and crush them, wasting money the money.
    9.You feel those pangs to start again.
    10. Go to different places that you don't associate with smoking.
    11.You feel those pangs to start again.
    12. You explain to your friends that blowing smoke in your direction is wrong.
    13.You feel those pangs to start again.
    14. You recognise that nicorettes and other gimmicks cost money and don't really work.
    15. You feel those pangs to start again.
    16. You get dreams at night that make you feel in the morning that you have had a cigarrette.
    17.You feel those pangs to start again.
    18. You mentally and physically make yourself not to go near any place that sells cigarettes.
    19. You feel those pangs to start again.
    20. You hear that it takes at least 3 years to get over the major pangs of giving up smoking, you wonder if it is worth giving up
    21. You feel those pangs to start again.
    22. Learn about some success stories about giving up
    23. Try to enjoy giving up smoking, it is a vicious circle to give up because you are battling the most addictive substances known to mankind.
    24. Now go back to 1
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

When I stopped, (the second and hopefully the last time) I had mentally prepared for it, told no one, and did it around an event that was coming up. The event was a long plane journey. I had my last fag before getting on the plane then threw my steamers away. I knew I couldn't have one for the whole flight. When I arrived, I just never bought another pack. I never told anyone what I was going to do or made a big fuss out of it (why give yourself the extra pressure). I had already wanted to stop and that was it. A change is as good as a rest as they say, so a change of scenery made the stopping easier...

Point to ponder - people say when you stop smoking that you get your sense of taste back and that food tastes great again.

This is only partly true.

Yes you get your sense of taste back, but only great food tastes great again, crappy food still tastes crappy only when you smoked the crappy food tasted the same as the good food, it was all bland but at least you knew what you were getting.

The money I have saved on not buying cancer sticks I have spent many times over buying quality meals in an attempt to appease my newly found discerning palate....

Are cigarette manufacturers and the purveyors of haute cuisine in league with each other? If so we should be told.

PS. The point to ponder is not all my own work by the way but I can vouch for its validity - I heard it on the telly, or from a mate or read it somewhere, possibly.

Easiest way to stop smoking is don't by any cigarettes. Put money away and within a week you will have amassed a fortune.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Aye, when I gave up I also put the money in a jar every day, at the end of the 1st month I had £115.00 which I spent on music CD's. I did this for 3 months until the cravings subsided. This certainly helped me to feel rewarded for giving up.

Default re: stopping smoking

The plastic cigarette is called crafe away (I think) and costs about 99p from chemist. i only know cos my mum bought me one, in her millionth attempt at trying to get me to stop smoking. I didn't try it. you can also get Zyban on prescription from GPs, and still need to smoke while taking the tablets to begin with. Some people I know managed to stop, with no new bad habits, such as being addicted to nicotine gum! others have told me horror stories of hallucinating etc while on Zyban. (Perhaps they confused the Zyban with some other drug!). Other than willpower, you really have to WANT to stop, because you want to and not because you've been told to, or you thimk you'll give it a try. Me? I still puff away contented each day. I have no willpower, and at present, no real desire to quit. Perhaps one day I will, but I admit to not being strong enough to face the cravings and withdrawl symptoms quite yet. Good luck to all who do try to quit, I hope you succeed, and post your techniques etc, so the day I do decide to quit, I can look for advice that works!

Best of luck with stopping. I've tried patches, hypnosis, acupuncture, counselling and zyban and I'm still on the weed much to my disgust.

i have never been gripped by cigarettes but im trying to diet and thats hard enough

Quote Originally Posted by squidge
    i have never been gripped by cigarettes but im trying to diet and thats hard enough
    Squidgey, you dont need to diet, you are just a nice cuddley person, dont become one o thon greetin faced skinny malinks
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Ach Golach you always say the nicest things but i need to just be a little less cuddly - i have no intention of becoming skinny i would lose two of my best attributes i think but a little less of me wouldnt go amiss

Hi changilass, I've stopped smoking twice now and think that it has to be down to you.

If you're not truly ready to stop then you won't be successful, whether it be hypnotism, patches or willpower.

First time I stopped it was willpower alone and I made milestones to get me through it, first was 3 days, then 3 weeks till finally 3 months by which time the worst of the cravings were gone.

I stayed a non-smoker for 2 years until I started another relationship and my partner (now my husband) smoked. Within 3 months I had started again and that was just from an occasional drag on his ciggie when we were out. I was soon back to smoking what I did originally - 50 A DAY!!

He then decided that we should both quit again and I attempted it half heartedly and failed but hubby had decided that he wanted a fancy road bike that cost a fortune and he saved his money from ciggies for that - he was successful.

It took me a further year to make the decision that I had to stop and tried again though had to get patches to help me but by 3 months the cravings had gone and I started leading a life without thinking of cigarettes every minute of the day.

I have now been a non-smoker for 6 years and have no intention of ever trying it again.

You can do it, but you need to be in the right frame of mind first and have goals/milestones to give you something to aim for.

Good luck and I hope you make it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast