Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25th Anniversary of Banning the Belt in school

Default 25th Anniversary of Banning the Belt in school

Did you get the strap at school ?

I did
    Its nice to be nice

we had a teacher in middle school that used to hit us on the knuckles with a wooden ruler - and that wasn't that long ago!
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

aye, i did too and e slipper. I remeber one teacher had size 9 plimpsols that he used for slippering. One day when he was out of e classroom, I ran up to his desk and took them out and chucked them outta e top floor window. Later he went to slipper someone and his face was a picture when he saw they werent there, he was livid. We all kept straight face and silent when he demanded to know where they were. But yes, there's always one - teachers pet, e snitch. i had to go down two flights of stairs and up again, plus get a slippering for my bother

A good hug often helps

Victoria, i had an English teacher in High School who did the exact same thing!

I was giving the strap in Primary School for going outside the school gates at break-time!! How mean!

Just the once in primary school I put paint on a chair in art class.

I never got the belt but one of my primary teachers had a good aim with his chalk even to the back of the class.He would throw his duster as well if we had a carry on!
    I learned to duck

yep, i got the belt loads of times, never did me any harm .
    come to think on it, it never did me any good either.
    i recall, i got it cause i deserved it. end of story.

yes i got the belt in primary school for fighting and then got the belt again when i got home for getting the belt in school sister grassed on me didnt do me any harm i wish they would bring it back

I was paddled several times in school.. wooden paddle on my bottom.. but never ever had anything like a strap or a ruler or likes that peeps over here speak of.
    last i knew corpral punishment is still allowed back home with parents permission.
    but i will tell you one thing, being a parent now, with my little boy just in nursery. if ever anyone dared to take a strap to him , ie a ruler or strap across the hands, throwing things at his head.. you had better belive the person responsible.. had better hope that they can outrun me. because i would quite happily show them what a switch felt like.
    and i would have the police involved and make sure that person never taught anywhere where my children were at again.
    I do belive in corpral punishment.
    and a spanking when needed is fine, not done in anger/fear (as i have done in past and regretted soon after) theirs many a time ive popped hands going near fires, sockets and stoves!
    but it is my responsibility to punish my children. if the school ever has a problem with them, all they have to do is call me and i can guarentee it wouldnt happen again.
    theres a lot more to punishment than a slap, and I my friends am a master at torture when it comes to little people! *winks* loss of freedom and belongings can come in so many ways... and silence *wahhhahhaaa*
    do you know when i was a child i dreaded having to stand in a corner being quite than being hit... its lasted much longer!
    http://itqueries.com/

BRING IT BACK!!!!!!!!!!!
    Might teach some of the youngsters these days a bit of respect. I reckon since they banned the belt the crime rate among youngsters has soared year on year. Just look at the vandalisim in Caithness recently, this was a rare occurance 25 years ago.
    Also the Police should be WALKING the streets. Remember Bertie Boagie standing in the town square at the weekend. You were always well behaved because he commanded a bit of RESPECT amongst us young ones then.

To celebrate this anniversary why don't we organise a whip round!!!
    Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

Talking

I agree with Mall67. If you behave in school, then you don't need to fear the strap. I also agree that it's time the beat copper was back as well. This riding around in cars is no use.

i totally disagree with the belt, its disgusting why should others hit our kids, i wouldnt even do it!

its disgraceful, when i was in school there was no belt(thank god) but a teacher who used to threaten to put you in the cupboard, what is that meant to teach children!
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by nanoo View Post
    I agree with Mall67. If you behave in school, then you don't need to fear the strap. I also agree that it's time the beat copper was back as well. This riding around in cars is no use.
    riding around in cars you gotta be jokin, since the cop shop was moved .
    you would be hard pushed to see a cop car or a copper unless he was out for getting his lunch piece. think they are trying to rely on the cctv thats been put about the town.

There definately needs to be some sort of deterent to get children under control in schools, at the moment I personally see none and I do not see why a child who is willing to learn and wants to learn should be held back educationally by another child who is determined to undermine the teachers authority and disrupt classes so that no other child can learn. I know of a child who was so out of control in primary 1 that they were removed from the school, the other children got no peace and were constantly being asaulted. Obviously that problem lays at the feet of the parent but when the child goes into school what is there to make them behave????

I totally agree!Bring back the belt !If a child has done something bad enough to deserve the belt then I would have no problem with it.Had the belt a few times myself at school and clearly remember being put across a teachers lap in primary 2 or 3 and spanked with a scholl shoe!Didn't misbehave for a LONG time after that.Also bring back the local bobby that would give you a good clip around the lug if you didnt do what you were told!Kids nowadays have no respect because they know that theres not a thing that can be done to them.Only once (so far) has one of my kids had the bobbies at my door and within 2 minutes they said to my son we will just leave you to your Mum because we don't think you will ever do anything like this again after she has finished with you And you know what...he never did ever again! x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Talking Never 25 Years, maybe 23?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne x View Post
    Did you get the strap at school ?

I did
    I recall getting the belt twice in 2nd year at High School, when I would have been 13. I am now 36. Simple arithmetic means it was 23 years ago???

The Loafer
    Tally ho with a bing and a bong and a buzz-buzz-buzz

Picture the happiest 6 year old in school, innocently ice skating up the polished school corridors in his football boots. Its amazing how a razor leather can bring you back to reality!!

Never done it again though..................................

Loafer I just saw the article on the news today and took it from there
    Its nice to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
    I recall getting the belt twice in 2nd year at High School, when I would have been 13. I am now 36. Simple arithmetic means it was 23 years ago???

The Loafer
    I came to Wick high when I was nearly fifteen and to my horror remember finding out they still had the belt
    Later that year I remember it being banned ... another piece of arithmetic Alice is forty in a couple of weeks so that makes it twenty five to me.

I am against the belt and if it were in use today woe betide anyone who lay a hand / belt on my child. I would rather children who misbehaved were excluded from mainstream school.

As for my own children if they were to misbehave send them home to me where I would punish them and boy would they know all about it. I dont need to lift a hand to them to make them sorry but thats not to say they have not had a wallop in the past.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast