Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help with identification please.

Default Help with identification please.

I bought this on Sunday and am not too sure what plant it is, and the variety.
    Need to have a 'care plan' for it.

Thanks,

James.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

Default Help with identification please

It is one of the "cupea" family, but unable to identify which one, so far, but will keep on looking

Smile Cuphea ignea

Cuphea ignea (cigar plant). Usually flowers from spring to autumn. If grown as a conservatory or greenhouse plant it eventually makes a small bushy shrub. It is hardy enough to be used as a summer bedding plant in sheltered conditions.

Height and spread 30x30cm. Prune in late winter,cutting the stems back by two thirds. Move outside only when all risk of frost is past. Can be susceptible to powdery mildew.

Hope this is of some help kingetter

Quote Originally Posted by nannydip View Post
    Cuphea ignea (cigar plant). Usually flowers from spring to autumn. If grown as a conservatory or greenhouse plant it eventually makes a small bushy shrub. It is hardy enough to be used as a summer bedding plant in sheltered conditions.

Height and spread 30x30cm. Prune in late winter,cutting the stems back by two thirds. Move outside only when all risk of frost is past. Can be susceptible to powdery mildew.

I AM seriously impressed nannydip - did n't know gardening was one of your many talents
    A bonny shrub nevertheless

Just wonderful nannydip - spot on - http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/cuph_ign.cfm

I wasn't so far away thinking nicotania - but you're right on the button. Very many thanks.
    Thanks also to Scunner for the reply.
    Yes, anneoctober, it is a bonny plant. Nae bad for £3.00. Now I need to learn how to harvest seeds or take cuttings.

Thanks.

James.

Wow, nannydip. Excellent - beat me to it. They are nice plants, Kingetter. Let me know if you need any advice about propagation - I have a friend who is owns a nursery.

Just checked it out - increase by cuttings in Spring and Summer. Its a semi-hardy plant. If you pinch out the tip it will become more bushy. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ricco; 01-Aug-07 at 11:16. Reason: additional info
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Ricco, thanks. I'm getting quite fond of the darling wee thing - really ought to have more of them I think. My photo doesn't do it enough justice though it makes it look larger than it in fact is.

Cheers,

James.

Default cuttings

Take softwood cuttings in late spring. Sow seed in a heated greenhouse in late winter or early spring with a bottom heat of 20-30 C (68-73F)

Often plant are short lived but easily replaced with cuttings. If grown in conservatory or greenhouse can become as tall as 3ft.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter View Post
    Just wonderful nannydip - spot on - http://www.floridata.com/ref/C/cuph_ign.cfm

I wasn't so far away thinking nicotania - but you're right on the button. Very many thanks.
    Thanks also to Scunner for the reply.
    Yes, anneoctober, it is a bonny plant. Nae bad for £3.00. Now I need to learn how to harvest seeds or take cuttings.

Thanks.

James.
    it looks even better knowing it was only £3, am brazen enough to ask where you bought this charmer from?!

Take softwood cuttings in late spring. Sow seed in a heated greenhouse in late winter or early spring with a bottom heat of 20-30 C (68-73F)

Often plant are short lived but easily replaced with cuttings. If grown in conservatory or greenhouse can become as tall as 3ft.
    Bless you for that, but no garden/greenhouse - I'm a flat-dweller - even outside window sill is on a slope so rain runs off
    Cuttings might be my only option.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by anneoctober View Post
    it looks even better knowing it was only £3, am brazen enough to ask where you bought this charmer from?!
    Be brazen

All in the name of Charity -

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=29904

http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...=14074&page=35 (message 688)

Seems cuttings is the way for you Kingetter. I have neither greenhouse or conservatory but used an old glass fronted cabinet (in sitting room much to hubby's dimay) to raise seed. It worked a treat, but ended up with dozens of young plants and no room in garden!

Good luck with your cigar plant and it's future offspring

Cuttings and hormone rooting powder? I have the pots and soil and this summer there seems an ample supply of water