Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: Should Scotland gain Independence

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

51 53.13%
  • NO

35 36.46%
  • WHO CARES

10 10.42%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence

Default Scottish Independence

I've started this thread on 'Scottish Independence' because it is evolving from another thread named 'Britishness' and is in danger of completely losing the initial aim of that thread.

So, who's for Scottish Independence and why?
    Is it just independence from England that the poeple want or independence from all things British?
    How will it affect UK obligations already in place within the UN etc?

There are obviously alot of people with passionate views on this topic both for and against a Scottish Independence.
    So could Scotland sustain itself financially in the event of independence? Or has England just spent too long convincing Scots that it couldn't that there is a fear of attempting it? Is Scotland really that naiive?

I don't know the ins and outs of how independence would work exactly but I assume Scotland would need a military? How would nuclear power be affected? Would Scotland be depending primarily on North Sea Oil?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Good god Poo , thats a bit heavy for so early in the morning !! jan x
    computer says no ........

I can't see why Scotland would need a military - if by that you mean a standing army ready to go over seas and do battle on our behalf against all our worldwide enemies.

Probably would need a beefed up fisheries protection fleet.

Nuclear power? Well why not at least it would be for the benefit of Scotland rather than just keeping it as far from London as possible.

Could it Scotland survive financially - probably.

Should we stay in the EU - yes.

Membership of the UN - well why not.

It probably is easier for Scotland to be a small independant state within Europe than at any time in past.

What I would really like to know is what benefits we get by belonging to the United Kingdom?

i'm up for it as long as you let me in without any hassle!
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    I've started this thread on 'Scottish Independence' because it is evolving from another thread named 'Britishness' and is in danger of completely losing the initial aim of that thread.

So, who's for Scottish Independence and why?
    Is it just independence from England that the poeple want or independence from all things British?
    How will it affect UK obligations already in place within the UN etc?

There are obviously alot of people with passionate views on this topic both for and against a Scottish Independence.
    So could Scotland sustain itself financially in the event of independence? Or has England just spent too long convincing Scots that it couldn't that there is a fear of attempting it? Is Scotland really that naiive?

I don't know the ins and outs of how independence would work exactly but I assume Scotland would need a military? How would nuclear power be affected? Would Scotland be depending primarily on North Sea Oil?

Polls taken among people who actually vote in Scotland indicated the majority were not for independence at the moment.

The Scots certainly are not naïve, who runs Westminster?

Do you mean depending on North Sea Oil as an economic asset? Darn tooting we will, and the gas.

If it was good enough to prop up the UK economy all these years, and with 50% of it still there, it is a major asset. Also, as oil becomes more expensive the more difficult to access becomes viable.

I don't think the question is whether or not Scotland could sustain itself financially, the question is how hamstrung we are with the policies that are currently foisted upon us.

You don't have to look far to find examples like Denmark and Ireland, we can follow suit.

Salmond campaigned to save the regiments; of course Scotland will have an army. We can take our part in any operation our government supports, UN/NATO or whatever comes along.

Nuclear Power has no future under the SNP, that is certain.

Are you posing these questions because we poor wee Scots' brains might not have the capacity to consider all these things?

Last edited by Boozeburglar; 31-Jul-07 at 14:52. Reason: Because P.poo was right and I was being hot headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    i'm up for it as long as you let me in without any hassle!
    Victoria,

You might have to change your name though. Any reminder of the auld enemy may be frowned upon.

All 'incomers' will need to have Mac added to their name.

So you will be MacVictoria, but let us say MacVicky for brevity.

All 'incomers' shall require to gain proficiency in the rolling of rs and the pronunciation of Loch. All must recite Tam O' Shanter to gain access through the huge gates of oak we shall be erecting in Hadrian's Wall, rebuilt as it shall be and none of those within it shall prefer to remain in England I have no doubt.

The headscarf shall once more be the garment of choice for the 'wifies' who inhabit the crofts, all of which shall be returned to service with their original eco friendly turf roofs.

Televisions shall be kept in depots by the Council, and once a year shall be distributed for the enjoyment of Rikki Fulton and Still Game, and live highlights of the New Year celebrations around the globe, which shall be no crack whatsoever as all the bonnie folk will have returned to the motherland.

Or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    What relevance has a poll which includes people who will have no vote on the matter were a referendum held?

It's an opinion of orgers I'm looking for. Can we only have an org vote on subjects that we can dictate now?

Which leads me to wonder where you get such strong views from, and why you are all over this issue on a message board. Why not do a little research? Read the papers, watch the news.
    Why not be all over the issue? And why is it that you feel the need to chase this topic round the board if it should be so obvious to the entire nation as to what you do want? My views are not strong either for or against Scottish independence. I'm very interested in the views of people on this forum though which is why I am asking the question. If you do not like me asking the questions simply don't answer them, if you don't like the subject even being discussed then don't discuss it.

Maybe you have, and you are posing these questions because we poor wee Scots' brains might not have the capacity to consider all these things.
    Hahahaha!

I'm sure there are many people on this forum - scottish and english - who DO have the capacity to enter into a conversation about this topic without getting as defensive as you appear to.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Hahahaha!

I'm sure there are many people on this forum - scottish and english - who DO have the capacity to enter into a conversation about this topic without getting as defensive as you appear to.
    Mmmhh.

I am not sure I am not just reacting to the tone of your posts in that other thread. I don't believe anyone would accuse me of being defensive, more offensive.

Sorry if I come over a little terse.

> It's an opinion of orgers I'm looking for. Can we only have an org vote on subjects that we can dictate now?

Fair comment.

>And why is it that you feel the need to chase this topic round the board

Mmmmhhh, I do believe this was at the top of the board, not a long chase, and the previous topic was too. I rarely post, but I think I am entitled to add my thoughts on a current issue.

> If you do not like me asking the questions simply don't answer them, if you don't like the subject even being discussed then don't discuss it.

Thanks for that advice, it would never have occurred to me.

Bit defensive though, is it not?

Didn't we already have a poll and the majority ruled for independence. Just go back and look at the results of it, it was posted before the last elections.

It might be interesting to see the Salmond effect in the new results!

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    Victoria,

You might have to change your name though. Any reminder of the auld enemy may be frowned upon.

All 'incomers' will need to have Mac added to their name.

So you will be MacVictoria, but let us say MacVicky for brevity.

All 'incomers' shall require to gain proficiency in the rolling of rs and the pronunciation of Loch. All must recite Tam O' Shanter to gain access through the huge gates of oak we shall be erecting in Hadrian's Wall, rebuilt as it shall be and none of those within it shall prefer to remain in England I have no doubt.

The headscarf shall once more be the garment of choice for the 'wifies' who inhabit the crofts, all of which shall be returned to service with their original eco friendly turf roofs.

Televisions shall be kept in depots by the Council, and once a year shall be distributed for the enjoyment of Rikki Fulton and Still Game, and live highlights of the New Year celebrations around the globe, which shall be no crack whatsoever as all the bonnie folk will have returned to the motherland.

Or something like that...

hahaha! I like that its like McVitties but not..
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

Why bother becoming independent? We'd just be invaded by England or the US for our oil, so we'd just be back where we started from?
    Rockchick

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so (Douglas Adams)

No worries there, we are going to keep our hands on the tiller at Westminster for ever!

My opinion is every country in the world should be entitled to be independant.
    Scotland should put it to the vote of being independent to settle this debate once for all i think its very sad that scotland,Ireland and wales are not fully independent and governed by england.For me i just cant understand any citizen that wants the country they were born and brought up in to be ruled by another country.

Check out this Video, I thought it was hilarious, its suitable for pretty much all ages, nothing dirty, just funny

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK6jHFezO_8

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    Scotland should put it to the vote of being independent to settle this debate once for all
    But will you get behind the result, once and for all?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    But will you get behind the result, once and for all?
    Until the next time..........but it wouldn't be in my lifetime.........which admittedly isn't going to be much more than 20 years max!

Why don't we just go the whole nine yards and have an independent Highlands. Or how about an independent Caithness?

I personally don't feel any more alligiance to someone from Southern Scotland than I do from Northern England.

What percentage of glaswegians do you think could point out Caithness on a map?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Check out this Video, I thought it was hilarious, its suitable for pretty much all ages, nothing dirty, just funny

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KK6jHFezO_8
    Oooohhhh, that was great Jeemag_USA.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast