Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: broadband

Default broadband

query? is anyone getting 8 mg broadband, and if so which company as our current one only gives us up to 2.5 mg
    beauty is in the eye of the beerholder!

"It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

I'm with virgin.net and out at Strathy, Sutherland - I'm three miles from the exchange and I can get 7.2. Right this second I'm on 6.9 - mind you I think I'm the only on the line that's got broadband (which helps!)

Default broadband

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    I'm with virgin.net and out at Strathy, Sutherland - I'm three miles from the exchange and I can get 7.2. Right this second I'm on 6.9 - mind you I think I'm the only on the line that's got broadband (which helps!)
    I get the same as that...I'm with BT Broadband...and I'm about 600 miles south of you, which may have something to do with it..
    Keep it country

6.8Mbps at the moment (borders of Sutherland / Caithness)

8MB is the maximum based on the quality of your telephone line. If you are a long way from the exchange then the speeds drops, so it's possible no ISP will be able to get 8mb out of your line. I get 3.2mb max but on average it is around 2.5mb.

Currently getting 7.7mbps on a quiet, wet, post gala Sunday morning. With BT which is good but expensive

I'm with Madasafish and currently connected at 7.6Mbps here in Wick.
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

5.3 today in Thurso with Pipex.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    5.3 today in Thurso with Pipex.
    How will Tiscali's purchase of Pipex's Broadband service affect you, if at all?

had to share theis speed tester

http://www.speedtest.net/
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Unhappy Broadband - I should be so lucky!!!!

I am currently getting 21.1Kbps! We have tried getting broadband but keep getting told we are too far from the exchange - 5.2miles. I would be happier if we could get a faster dial up speed, we are with Fast4 at the moment.

I have 54mps, whatever that means????
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Yes I have exactly the same - it says 54 Mbps which I've always assumed meant 54 K so, please tell us exactly what it means. I understand it's the lowest broadband speed because our exchange hasn't been upgraded and it makes no difference which company I'm with (BT actually). Can anyone confirm?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Ive recently gone over to wireless with orange but couldnt tell you what speeds ect i have ....im pc THICK ! LOL jan x
    computer says no ........

Quote Originally Posted by felis silvestris View Post
    I am currently getting 21.1Kbps! We have tried getting broadband but keep getting told we are too far from the exchange - 5.2miles. I would be happier if we could get a faster dial up speed, we are with Fast4 at the moment.
    If you're only getting 21.1 Kbps then it sounds as though you are also DACS'ed - I am assuming that you have a V.90 modem - will it run in V.34 mode? If it will you may be able to get it to run at about 33k. Not a vast improvement but every little helps at that sort of speed.

At 5.2 miles from the exchange you will likely not get broadband until such time as BT upgrades it's entire network to fibre - and that's going to be a very long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by felis silvestris View Post
    That's daft. Try one of the other ISPs and get a line test through them. I would think it is more likely to be the age of the equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    I have 54mps, whatever that means????
    Yes, Lolabelle... mine is also showing 54mps. It means 54 million bits per second - that's bits, not bytes. So, it shows no relation to, say, 2 Megabytes. It is really the speed of your modem.

I am on 2Megabytes, apparently I am just too far to get 8. C'est la vie.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

54 MBps is the fastest speed you can get from a wireless connection. It means you will be reasonably close to your wireless router and getting a good or excellent signal strength on your wireless connection.

This isnt your Broadband line speed (we all wish it was).
    Regards

Brian Mackay
    www.caithnessfootie.co.uk

felis silvestris - there is an alternative you could opt for if you really want to get a faster (and better) connection - ISDN2e it gives upto 128k connectivity - but it will cost more than a normal "broadband" service.

For a while BT offered it as midband or highway, but in reality they were allways just good old ISDN with fancy labels

Just another thought, can you see to any neighbouring properties that can and do get broadband? If you can then there are ways of sharing their connection - legally and with their permission! Cost a wee bit to put in place, but not a fortune.

You can get wireless to work line of sight over distances of upto about 18 miles - but not your average domestic indoor wireless gear.
    Last edited by NickInTheNorth; 31-Jul-07 at 10:32.

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    Just another thought, can you see to any neighbouring properties that can and do get broadband? If you can then there are ways of sharing their connection - legally and with their permission!
    But likely to be a breach of their ISP's terms and conditions.

JimBews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast