Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: flooding chaos

Exclamation flooding chaos

what do people think about the flooding in england at the moment do you really think its to do with global warming
    Last edited by mr do dar; 23-Jul-07 at 18:12.

i think its awful and i feel really sorry for them, fed up with people complaining that they should have had house insurance an having a go at them, not everyone can afford it and they probably never thought that was going to happen!
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

yes Ash thats very true. we always have home ins & have never claimed on it, but if we dont renew that,ll be the time when something happens for sure.

It is a shame on the poorer people who cant afford home insurance or anything that needs to be renewed... I do believe Global warming has alot to do with it...

Quote Originally Posted by mr do dar View Post
    what do people think about the flloding in england at the moment do you really think its to do with global warming
    I think that it is terrible for the people who have been effected. And no I don't think it is due to Global Warming, I think it is due to weather, we can hardly tell how the rythmns of the earth's weather and temperatures really work. We haven't been recording them long enough, imho. Who knows what the weather was doing 1 million years ago, who knows what the weather patterns are like long term?
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

I have no sympathy for the ones with no home insurance, seen plenty on the tv of folks without but with brand new sofas ect, they should do like the rest of us and go with out the luxuries to get it. Why should I pay premiums and folk that dont get a fund set up to get them replacements.

I dont think it is anything to do with global warming, I think it is more to do with lack of thought when building new homes. Developers should be forced to update water systems when they do new builds to ensure that it can cope with the extra load put on the system. We are living with drainage systems that havnt been upgraded in years yet new builds are allowed to go ahead, its stupidity.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

i have every sympathy for them, i dont have home insurance as its something i never really thought about, not everyone can afford it!

I have to give up on other things to afford home insurance, so I dont see why when folks have a house full of brand new things they cant afford home insurance, they are then demanding the government help them out, I just dont see why they should. I pay my insurance, I dont see why I should pay someone elses in the form of taxes. If I decided not to pay all the vaiious insurances we could probably afoord a couple of holidays abroad each year and I wouldnt be sat on a second hand sofa typing.

I just get really fed up of folk expecting others to bail them out, its about time forlk took responsibility for themselves and their actions.

Grrrrrrrr rant over
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

well i for one dont have a house full of fancy things! i still feel sorry for the people who have lost things that money cant replace!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    I have to give up on other things to afford home insurance, so I dont see why when folks have a house full of brand new things they cant afford home insurance, they are then demanding the government help them out, I just dont see why they should. I pay my insurance, I dont see why I should pay someone elses in the form of taxes. If I decided not to pay all the vaiious insurances we could probably afoord a couple of holidays abroad each year and I wouldnt be sat on a second hand sofa typing.

I just get really fed up of folk expecting others to bail them out, its about time forlk took responsibility for themselves and their actions.

Grrrrrrrr rant over
    Absolutely Agree.. When we rented our old house it was just a few pounds every month, + altho we never claimed it gave us great reassurance..
    Now we bought our house we obviously have building + contents insurance etc.. But id much rather be insured then have for example Sky or Broadband, Cos you never know what will happen..

Grrrrrrrr rant over

I feel really sorry for the people whose homes have been ruined by the flooding however I agree with the quote above that the people who don't pay insurance should just get on with it. I have paid insurance since the moment I became a home owner although I never hope to need it - it only costs £22 a month [less than a pound a day].

I also think the flooding has to do with global warming!

Grrrrrrrr rant over
    Changi, I with you on this one, I think house insurance is essential and like Council Tax should be compulsory, although I have sympathy at the poor folks that have been flooded out, it must be soul destroying to see all your personal and prized possessions destroyed
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I am surprised that there are so many people without house insurance, most mortgage companies require it as part of the offer.
    Contents insurance can be optional but for less than £10 a month well worth the investment.
    In large scale catastrophes there can be an argument for extra government support especially for houses (if there are any) outside the flood plain who would not have needed flood insurance.
    Regardless each householder should ensure they are insured.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

We have always had full insurance... and never claimed on it. The day we let it lapse will be a day we rue. I think it is very short-sighted to not be insured - my brother isn't, and I always tell him so.

The flooding has been dreadful - our school closed quite late on Friday because we couldn't let the kids go - no buses could get out to us for a couple of hours. I have been out with the camera to our local park and ride (fortunately all the cars had got out) and will be out again tomorrow when the worst is expected.

Will post some photos tomorrow.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

its something that ive never had much thought about, but certainly going to look into it more

We too have also always had insurance and have never (thankfully) had to claim on it.

I feel extremely sorry for all those who are flooded - I just cannot imagine how they are, or will, cope!

Global warming? Nah - I remember flooding way back in 1964 - even have pics somewhere of the back garden under water. It's more likely caused by the endless building on floodplains and the expansion of towns into areas which should never have been built on....

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    Global warming? Nah - I remember flooding way back in 1964 - even have pics somewhere of the back garden under water. It's more likely caused by the endless building on floodplains and the expansion of towns into areas which should never have been built on....
    I agree with what you are saying about building on floodplains, expansion of towns and we should include the paving over of yards - these are all contributing factors.
    However, whether-or-not it is global warming or a weather blip the amount of rain we have had is unseasonable.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Quote Originally Posted by MadPict View Post
    that's the main problem around this area. my brother's a fireman and he's been working non stop since friday - he's never seen anything like the flooding in the gloucestershire area before.
    they're actually starting work to build a whole new 'village' on a flood plain just up the road from us - it's complete madness. thankfully the water round here is subsiding now
    'and then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel is just a freight train coming your way' METALLICA

I think the floodings due to greed, pure and simple. As mentioned earlier, developers buidling on flood plains and every other scrap of spare ground they can find, to hell with the consequences. I feel for those that are suffering for it, it must be absolutely soul destroying.

As for house insurance, never bothered with it for the first few years I lived in my council flat because I had no idea how important it was. As for now, I have a mortgage so its compulsory, but I got it before then - when my parents found out I wasn't insured they nearly had a turn! Wouldn't be without it now, too paranoid. But I reakon its something that people should be told about at school. Youngsters have no idea how important it is, same as other things like car insurance, council tax etc. I certainly had no idea.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast