Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-locating

paulbloemndaal Guest

Default Re-locating

Hello, I may be moving to Wick in the not to distant future and am looking for property to let. I have searched the main agents in Wick and Thurso but there is not a lot on offer. Can anyone suggest a local newspaper I can view or perhaps offer any advice? incidently I have never been to Wick and will be moving from Newcastle!
    Regards

If you take a look in the business section in Caithness.org there are usually a few properties there. also the local paper (John O'Groat Journal) which is published on Friday's usually has a few. It also may be worth your while having a look at the local solicitors, there are always properties for sale. but letting may be a different proposition.
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

paulbloemndaal Guest

Default Re-locating

Hi, thanks for that. I will ring the newspaper and subscribe!
    Regards
    Julie

Have PM'd you with some info.

neep_docker Guest

Interesting.....someone has decided to remove an element from this theme which dared to suggest that perhaps Wick is not the most wonderful place on the face of this earth.

If the guy who started this threat is coming to live in Wick, then I think it's only fair that we have the opportunity to paint the reality to him (good, and bad) of what he's going to face when he gets there.

Have not read the post referenced by Neep-docker, but he makes a fair point that information provided should be allowed to be viewed by the person seeking it.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

this is absolutely true even if it was the usual boring, predictable, negativity of which neepdocker is so fond..........

Quote Originally Posted by neep_docker
    Interesting.....someone has decided to remove an element from this theme which dared to suggest that perhaps Wick is not the most wonderful place on the face of this earth.

If the guy who started this threat is coming to live in Wick, then I think it's only fair that we have the opportunity to paint the reality to him (good, and bad) of what he's going to face when he gets there.
    I think the original poster asked about property and not for a review of Wick. It may well be that they are moving here because of work and have no choice in the matter anyway. Besides it would be best to get a review from someone with the ability to report from an even-minded perspective and not from the McCain Factory on the shoulder perspective.
    At the end of the day if you are so desperate to pass on the info you can always PM the person, as someone else in the thread already did. Of course that would not allow your comment to be seen here, so is your motivation really helping the original poster or offending the people of Wick?

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    so is your motivation really helping the original poster or offending the people of Wick?
    The motivation is the former, although no doubt the latter will be a side effect.
    Nah, you could have told yer man all that without having to post it here.

Just interested to know which paradise you live in? All places in the UK have their good and bad points. There is way less scum in Wick than there is in many places in the UK. The cities will always have more facilities and jobs but they are awash with crime, pollution, winos, scumbags and the general feeling is that life is cheap pervades such locations.

I would not swap Wick for Neeptopia, unless you can persuade me otherwise. Maybe you need to get a wife, a life, a sense of humour or something, it all sounds so depressing in Neepsville Tennessee. Now entering Prozac County Kentucky.

Default Cheers

3 rousing cheers for squidge..I'll echo her sentiments any day!

neep_docker Guest

"Welcome to Wick - we're getting an Argos."

A slogan like that should really get the masses flocking.

What? No comment about the numerous other points?

neep_docker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by luskentyre
    What? No comment about the numerous other points?
    Sorry, forgot :-) Here goes:

'terrific community spirit' - this will be the community that beats up someone in a nightclub, bundles him into the harbour, then clams up about the affair while the Police decide that it's better to not really get involved.

'low crime rate' - the crime rate is high; the detection and prosecution rate is dreadfully low.

'low houses prices' - because it's a low wage economy; great if you're a white settler buying in, but a nightmare if you're on a typical average wage for the area.

Default Relocating

What a lot of rubbish you have written about Wick Neepdocker.
    Well said Squidge for your comments.
    wick is a good place with lots to see and do, lots of clubs and activities and sports.Good health facilities. i dont kn ow why neepdocker thins the ambulances stop at golspie for a 4 hour teabreak, what nonsense, that is certainly not true.
    Wick is also a good and safe enviroment to bring up children in.
    wick is good......and life is what you make it.

[quote="neep_docker- don't go for a nice stole up the riverside - as you'll get accosted and abused by winos

- don't take your car with you - you can't afford the petrol prices, and the local kids will only scratch all your paintwork....for fun

Other than that, it's a nice place.[/quote]

I take my dog for a walk up as far as Fairy hill three times a week. I have NEVER been accosted by winos - in fact I have seldom seen any!

I have never had my car scratched in 25years!

Have you heard the story of the worthy sitting on the roadside outside Wick. A prospective incomer stopped and asked, 'What kind of town is this?'
    'What was it like, where you came from'? he asked.
    'Dreadful.' was the reply. 'High prices, gossipy people, nothing to do.'
    'Wick is just the same,' replied the worthy.
    Another prospective incomer came along. 'What's it like in Wick?' he asked.
    'What's it like where you come from?' asked the worthy.
    'Great. Lovely people, beautiful scenery, wonderful walks.'
    'Wick is just like that.' replied the worthy.
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

'terrific community spirit' - this will be the community that beats up someone in a nightclub, bundles him into the harbour, then clams up about the affair while the Police decide that it's better to not really get involved..
    Nah the community that finding a lassie and her kids on her own in a flat with nothing turned up with plates, forks,cups, towles, a three piece suite - which she still has! - an iron, an ironing board and when the same lassie was in hospital very seriously ill helped her husband with the children, cooked food came all the way to inverness to see her - That community neep-docker.

'low crime rate' - the crime rate is high; the detection and prosecution rate is dreadfully low..
    Rubbish - people still leave doors cars and windows unlocked, Shops allow you to take the goods and pay later if you have forgotten your purse, posties leave parcels somewhere you can find them rather than taking htem back to the sorting office, insurance rates are low and the chance of being burgled is low too. Crime is largely centred around drinking and is minimal in comparison to many other places

'low houses prices' - because it's a low wage economy; great if you're a white settler buying in, but a nightmare if you're on a typical average wage for the area.
    It is a low wage economy but there are reasonably well paid jobs to be had and there are there is still low priced property to buy in and around wick. Its still a place that young people can at least get a foot on the property ladder unlike inverness for example.

Neep docker - a word of advice - i read somewhere recently that being pessimistic shortens your life expectancy more than smoking or being fat.

Wick has its problems but to present it as you do is pathetic and over exaggerated. It also makes me think that your experince of life mustbe INCREDIBLY narrow if you feel that Wick is such a terrible place. You cant have been subjected to some of the environments I and many others on this board have seen and experienced and begs the question if you hate it so much then what on EARTH do you want to be here for?

paulbloemndaal Guest

Default Re-locating

Oh my goodness, caused quite a stir have'nt I? Anyway my computer has been down for 5 days so did not get access to the site. I am interested to know what was said about 'Wick' which was so bad? Well I am definately moving to Wick now as I have just been offered the job - will be at the end of August, and just for the record I am a woman!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Re-locating

Quote Originally Posted by paulbloemndaal
    Well I am definately moving to Wick now as I have just been offered the job - will be at the end of August, and just for the record I am a woman!!!!!!!!!!
    WEll good for you and congratulations. I think you will find it a nice place to live - i did

Squidge love the way you quote neep and then go on to make another statement that has nothing to do with his point. Maybe that just show why the murder was never solved (nah I mean prosecuted)
    Also the amount of drug abuse and drug related crime is relatively very high. Pick up the JOG or Courier every week and you will see that the police are looking for witnesses to damage that has been done to cars on the streets. Nobody that I know that lives in Wick would dream of leaving their windows or doors lying open, unless they had a dog in the house of course. Shops allow you to take goods now pay later because in general there is very low wages.
    Having said that the majority of the people are really nice and friendly but there are big warts.
    Char dunadh doras a riamh nar fosgladh dorus eile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast