Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MAKE GELDOF HISTORY

Default MAKE GELDOF HISTORY

MAKE POVERTY HISTORY - Buses to Edinburgh - MAKE POVERTY HISTORY

As the leaders of the world's richest countries gather in Scotland for the G8 Summit, join tens of thousands of others in Edinburgh on 2nd July demanding trade justice, debt cancellation, and more and better aid for the world's poorest countries.

See www.makepovertyhistory.org/edinburgh/ for more information

Justice Not War are organising buses to the demonstration, leaving Inverness on Saturday 2 July, 7.30am.
    To book your place you need to phone Eleanor on 01463 242659
    £12 waged, £6 unwaged - single or return.

For overnight accommodation in Inverness and transport from the North to the Inverness bus, and for those wishing to remain in Edinburgh for the G8 Alternatives on the Sunday Tel Eleanor 01463 242659 or Frank on 01862 811233.

please forward this to others who might be interested in joining us

Geldof is a scruffy attention seeking fool.

Let's sort out poverty and illness in this country first!

Right intentions, but irresponsible in implementing them.

I see the SSP are jumping on to someone else's band wagon
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by doreenhedgehog
    Oh yes! Let's make sure all our chavs can afford their designer trainers. We don't care about those Africans dying of starvation!

[/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by Riffman
    Right intentions, but irresponsible in implementing them.
    How so?

Geldof is a scruffy attention seeking fool.

Scruffy is irrelevant, looks mean nothing. It seems Jesus had a bit of a facial hair problem as well. At least Geldof is trying to help. I wonder what evidence you can produce of your own efforts to end world poverty and famine?

I do agree that the USA and the UK are great for trying to sort out the World's problems when their own countries have plenty to worry about but at least in the UK people can sign on and get some money. This option is not on for many starving people around the World.

Forget looks and attention seeking, there are many more prominent and much more shallow people in this World than Bob Geldof. "Geldof" his case and open your purse instead of your mouth!!

I'm not bothered about him being scruffy to be honest, but it was part of his description all the same. As for opening my purse, I will and regularly do. But not for him.

There are plenty people in this country in urgent need of my donations.

The thought is great and I really hope that what Bob Geldof is doing will make a difference in some areas. My only fear is that there are so many corrupt regimes in Africa that I doubt very much if even 10% of the monies raised will reach the deprived areas.

I also feel that Bob is being a wee bit irresponsible by asking everybody to decend on Edinburgh, traffic and people control will cause immence logistical problems, lets hope the local authorities can get all the assistance they need and all the demonstrations go off peacefully, but I'm afraid the National Front might sieze upon this as an opporunity to bring attention to their racial policies and by doing so will create mayhem.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong
    Live the Dream, don't dream the life

I'm not bothered about him being scruffy to be honest, but it was part of his description all the same. As for opening my purse, I will and regularly do. But not for him.

There are plenty people in this country in urgent need of my donations.
    There's something you missed doreenhedgehog. He's not even asking for your money.

He's asking for people to go to Edinburgh and let the G8 summit know that we will not sit idly by while Africans die of starvation, merely because keeping 3rd world countries up to their eyeballs in debt suits developed countries.

Their debt is attached to conditions, like 'you must buy our weapons' and 'you must buy our products'. Meanwhile they pay far more on interest than they ever borrowed, and their farmers are expected to compete with the highly-subsidised farmers in the US and Europe. The policy of the developed countries is keeping Africa in poverty and ensuring people keep dying. Enough is enough.

You keep popping your change in the British charity collection tins, if it makes you feel satisfied. I'll be in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater
    The thought is great and I really hope that what Bob Geldof is doing will make a difference in some areas. My only fear is that there are so many corrupt regimes in Africa that I doubt very much if even 10% of the monies raised will reach the deprived areas.
    What monies raised? Who asked for your money? This is not what the demos in Edinburgh are about.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewater
    I also feel that Bob is being a wee bit irresponsible by asking everybody to decend on Edinburgh, traffic and people control will cause immence logistical problems, lets hope the local authorities can get all the assistance they need and all the demonstrations go off peacefully, but I'm afraid the National Front might sieze upon this as an opporunity to bring attention to their racial policies and by doing so will create mayhem.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong
    If a million people turn up to make a peaceful point, who gives a penny farthing what the NF might try to do? Yes, the media may skew their reports to make it look chaotic, but the vast majority of people will be there as part of a peaceful protest against the maintenance of 3rd world debt.

If a million people really do turn up to Edinburgh, it'll be far harder to ignore the wishes of the demonstrators than if a million people protested in London. That's half the point.

Its important doreenhedgeog to recognise we have a respoinsibility to the whole world not simply our little corner.

Drutt is right no one is asking for MONEY they are asking for your time to help send a message to a group of people who do have the power to influence and change things.

I wish i was going but im not in the UK then - im visiting my mom in france or i would have been there and i would have taken my kids too

Quote Originally Posted by "Drutt[/quote
    If a million people really do turn up to Edinburgh, it'll be far harder to ignore the wishes of the demonstrators than if a million people protested in London. That's half the point.
    Well done Drutt, I live in Edinburgh and I don't want a Million people demonstrating in my back yard.
    The cost for the policing alone is horrendous,and has to be paid for by the good burgers o Edinburgh by way of our Council Tax,
    The disruption will make life in my adopted home a misery for the general public, businesses and not to mention that HRH has had to re-schedule her Garden Party, ( No big deal ) I've been to one before.
    So Im sorry go an demonstrate at Gleneagles and scare a few sheep an coo's but my attitude will be the NIMBY policy
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I applaud his sentiments but I do think it is a bit irisponsible to ask all these people to descend on Edinburgh. fine if he could guarantee a peaceful demonstration - but can anyone?
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

dorrenhedgehog!!

It seems to me that is people like you that give us Scots a bad name. Yes we have our own problems but people in this coutry arn't dying in their thousands. I happily hand over my money and time to this cause. I am entitled to my own opinion and so are you but i just think you are so wrong!!
    Sols

I actually applaud Bob Geldof's intentions, he has highligted a cause that all too often has been overlooked on the international political stage.

Where my admiration for him this time falls down at, is his failure to fully cooperate with the authorities in good time. Edinburgh is a nightmare to get accomodation in or to navigate at the best of times, let alone with an extra million souls wandering around the place. Even if this were possible to accomodate an extra million in Edinburgh, it would take a full year of preparation with the full cooperation of the council and other authorities. Too much too late.

Any blood spilt due to social unrest will be on Geldof's hands.

I won't be going, I will buy another thing from FairTrade instead.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie
    Scruffy is irrelevant, looks mean nothing. It seems Jesus had a bit of a facial hair problem as well.
    We have no idea what Jesus looked like.

I live on Murrayfield's doorstep. Can't say I'm looking forward to everybody stepping over it. Nevertheless, I'll be chillin' in the garden with a BBQ listening to my kind of music. And being the capitalist swine I am, will charge £40 for tye-die shirts with a £5 taz entry fee. Enjoy!

The best of luck til ye Pepsi!

Edinburgh Council are setting up a temporary campsite in the playing fields at the Jack Kane Centre in Niddrie. Well, that'll be nice for Edinburgh's visitors: the Jack Kane Centre is a beautiful example of stylish 60s architecture, and Niddrie is a lovely touristy area, packed with classy shops, bars and restaurants. It's also a pleasant 5-minute stroll along quiet uncongested Niddrie Mains Road to the Meadows, Princes Street and Murrayfield. Yeah, right!

BTW I thought "Make Geldof History" was a death threat -- as in "You're history, pal!"

Aye go but just leave my work's Edinburgh building alone, it'll mean a lot of work for me if you all break it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast