Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: No wonder they don't want us to have independence.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    OK.

Corky - Old Norse for "one who seeks freedom"

Smeek - Farsi for "from Westminster"

Looks like you'll be keeping that name a while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Looks like you'll be keeping that name a while longer.
    Pfffttt
    Someone send a team round to Corky Smeek HQ to check on his wellbeing
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Pfffttt
    Someone send a team round to Corky Smeek HQ to check on his wellbeing
    Like Nicola Sturgeon, I'm sure he's secretly relieved. They can keep blaming Westminster for their failings for another few years! Good to see Gronuck's UN charter argument (different thread) blown out of the water with the same ruling.

I think this from a former Supreme Court judge sums up today's events well.

Former Supreme Court judge Lord Sumption says the response of Scotland's first minister to today's court ruling "is a political manoeuvre" and describes her as "a very shrewd politician".
    Nicola Sturgeon earlier said she was disappointed in the Supreme Court's decision that the Scottish government cannot hold an independence referendum without the UK government's consent.
    "It enables her to blame everyone other than herself for not having a referendum," Lord Sumption tells BBC Radio 4's World At One.
    "She's had plenty of legal advice - it's obvious that her own Lord Advocate, her top law officer, had no confidence in her own argument."
    He says Sturgeon doesn't want a referendum right now because "she couldn't be sure of winning it but she's under pressure from her less realistic followers".
    "[Sturgeon] would prefer to be stopped from having her referendum by Westminster than by her own innate caution."

Just wondering how much you have to hate Scotland to be doing cartwheels of joy over the SC ruling. It must be a strange feeling, professing your Scottishness, yet delighting in its subjugation to another country. And the really weird thing is that this blind and unquestionning loyalty to the UK has no real substance to it. In essence it means that if you are currently head over heels with the delight then what you are saying is that no matter how bad things are in the UK, and they are bad; really bad; I mean hopelessly bad, then you would genuinely rather hold on to a sinking ship than use the life-raft that Indy gives us. In another thread I asked for anyone to provide one positive, substantive argument for the union and nobody could.

So, the UK is in terminal decline with only Russia having worse economic prospects. The rest of the world is coping far better with the effects of the war; Covid aftermath and CoLC. That is because the UK became the only country ever to impose economic sanctions upon itself (Brexit).

And I really am mystified by all the UJ-waving that is going on. All the SC did was confirm the status quo. Nothing has changed except the fact that, from today, Scotland's subordinate role in the UK has been formalised by judicial decision. We wanted clarity. Now we have it. Scotland must come to heel whenever England demands it.

So, to those of you puffing out your chests and thinking you have won something, I suggest that you may regret this pyrrhic victory. It will have done nothing but galvanise the support for "Yes". No-one on this side of the argument is going to change sides and treating Scotland like a second-class citizen will not win your side any votes.

Finally, the latest Ipsos Mori poll shows 61% of Scots think the Union's coat is on a shoogly nail. Getting shooglier by the minute.

Just wondering how much you have to hate Scotland to be doing cartwheels of joy over the SC ruling. It must be a strange feeling, professing your Scottishness, yet delighting in its subjugation to another country. And the really weird thing is that this blind and unquestionning loyalty to the UK has no real substance to it. In essence it means that if you are currently head over heels with the delight then what you are saying is that no matter how bad things are in the UK, and they are bad; really bad; I mean hopelessly bad, then you would genuinely rather hold on to a sinking ship than use the life-raft that Indy gives us. In another thread I asked for anyone to provide one positive, substantive argument for the union and nobody could.

So, the UK is in terminal decline with only Russia having worse economic prospects. The rest of the world is coping far better with the effects of the war; Covid aftermath and CoLC. That is because the UK became the only country ever to impose economic sanctions upon itself (Brexit).

And I really am mystified by all the UJ-waving that is going on. All the SC did was confirm the status quo. Nothing has changed except the fact that, from today, Scotland's subordinate role in the UK has been formalised by judicial decision. We wanted clarity. Now we have it. Scotland must come to heel whenever England demands it.

So, to those of you puffing out your chests and thinking you have won something, I suggest that you may regret this pyrrhic victory. It will have done nothing but galvanise the support for "Yes". No-one on this side of the argument is going to change sides and treating Scotland like a second-class citizen will not win your side any votes.

Finally, the latest Ipsos Mori poll shows 61% of Scots think the Union's coat is on a shoogly nail. Getting shooglier by the minute.

What today and all its Union flag waving should tell you, is that what an appalling job the SNP have been doing. 15yrs and they still can't get anywhere near 50% of voters to vote for them.

We're jumping for joy because it pushes back the date for yet another referendum.

It does say an awful lot about the SNP and the wider Yes movement when so many of us would rather stay with the sinking ship than get in a rudderless, engine less compass less 'life raft' that is independence.

I think the SNP are going to be in for a suprise when a fair few of their votes will be taken by Labour.

A few Months ago, a Poll showed that The Majority, (albeit Sma’), would not have voted for another Referendum!
    And may I add, not for an Independent Scotland.
    Methinks people are tired of all this….and it seems with the ‘Elite SNP’ and ALBA.

Careers, and Beeg Money is being made by The Organizers. Too Much!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 23-Nov-22 at 23:17.

I agree with what you say- that is what I encounter when I speak to neighbours and friends. That's all I can report really and this despite that we have an SNP MSP in Caithness who was voted in by a clear majority.

Corky, could you provide a link to "Finally, the latest Ipsos Mori poll shows 61% of Scots think the Union's coat is on a shoogly nail. Getting shooglier by the minute." Many thanks.

What really gets me about all of this is that when you really think about it all those who are celebrating are doing so in the full knowledge that the SC has just confirmed the subordinacy of Scottish democracy. They are happy, indeed delirious, that their democratic rights have now been codified as being inferior to those of people living in England. Boris Johnson said that Westminster was England's parliament. What has now been made clear by the SC is that the UK (English) parliament's sovereignty has been deemed superior to the democratic wishes of the people of Scotland. You have effectively been told by the SC that you are a second class citizen; your democratic wishes don't count and that the Colonial Governor General (Alister Jack - SoSfS) will attend to your interests.

Now whilst the UJ-wavers may be happy now, are they always going to be that way? Are they so subserviant by nature that they wish to be governed in-absentia? Now I get that many folk don't like the SNP. Quite often I don't like them either but after independence I am sure they will dissolve into parties that resemble our current crop. I really and honestly cannot believe that anyone could object to having a full rainbow of political choice but one which is solely for Scotland. What is so damned wrong with the Scottish people getting what they vote for? If you do think it is OK, then what you are saying is that is is perfectly fine for the Scottish people to be governed by a government they didn't vote for. Think about that. Really, really think about that.

And if you still think that it's OK what are you going to think when the lunatic fringe of the Tory party, emboldened by the SC ruling, decides that it is about time Scotland is really brought to heal? After all the votes of Scots don't matter so why don't we re-name the place "North Britain" or "Scotlandshire". Let's abolish Holyrood and subsume all devolved powers back to Westminster. Scots law will be abolished as will the Scottish education system and the Scottish banks. The Scottish NHS will be privatised. Gaelic speaking will be outlawed. A flight of fancy - No! Many Tories have been advocating these types of policies for years. If that's what you want then you are entitled to your opinion but just don't force the rest of us to endure the nightmare.

And Goodfellers, you and your pet attack-dog hurl personal abuse at me constantly and yet you want me to find internet links for you. Find your own.