Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with baby house martins

Default Help with baby house martins

Oh my! Just gone outside and found one of the house martins nests above my kitchen window has collapsed, amongst the debris I've found 5 live chicks (along with 5 dead ones). I've put them in an incubator and they are moving quite well considering when I put them in there they were hardly moving at all.

Now I know the chances are they'll die but I couldn't just leave them there, but what shall I feed them, I know house martins eat insects and I can get some dried insects from work later on this afternoon but what can I give them for now? Worms? They're asking for food so I need to give them something, help please!

This PDF might be helpful... not sure though.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/bwi/p...%20Martins.pdf
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

had another read through that - actually seems to give some good suggestions on what to feed them
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

That's brilliant, thank you. Mum is stll flying around and keeps swooping in so hubbie is going to make a box later to put up and I'll put the babies in there, I've just put some eggs on to boil so I can feed them for now.

Please keep us updated!

If you do provide a new box it might be an idea to place the original nest material in it (if you haven't already thought of this) and keep the handling of the chicks to a minimum as the parents may reject the chicks when you stick them back in.

If this is covered in PDF sorry but no time to read it...

I've put the nesting material in the incubator and they've just had a feed of egg yolk mixed to a paste with water, they were very hungry and now they've all gone to sleep!

Well done neepnipper! Are the parents still around?

Or are you a prospective new mum and dad?

Hubbie has made a box and put it where the nest was, the babies are in it, there are loads of house martins swooping around and coming in for a look so hopefully one will go in soon.

well done you !! jan x
    computer says no ........

By 10 o'clock last night there was no sign of mum going in to babies so took them out and they are now in a hospital cage snug and warm and feeding quite happily, just have to see how it goes!

please keep us updated, hope everything goes well
    Last edited by lynne duncan; 04-Jul-07 at 08:41. Reason: never checked the time

Thumbs up

Well done for looking after them. Handy you have an incubator!

Sounds like you are Mum now!

Well done, Neeps. You may have found a new job as wild animal carer. Do keep us updated.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

How are they doing Neenipper?
    They break our legs and we say "thank you" when they offer us crutches!!!

They seem fine, eager to eat and I'm now feeding them cooked egg yolk, meal worms and dried insects, fingers crossed!

Teaching them to fly might be a bit difficult

The birdies may not have built a very secure nest but they did a good job choosing where to build it. Well done, neepnipper, and I hope the remaining babies survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret M. View Post
    The birdies may not have built a very secure nest but they did a good job choosing where to build it. Well done, neepnipper, and I hope the remaining babies survive.
    I think Neeps has her own virtual wings... a little angel in disguise. Well done Neeps!
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Glasgow but want to live anywhere else up north!

I am facinated by this!It's like our own virtual nature trail!Whens the next insallment?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast