Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Couple of recipes needed

Default Couple of recipes needed

I hope someone can help me; I am trying to find a good recipe for Cullen Skink (had a wonderful dish at a pub in Findhorn once) and also for bannocks - like those you can get on Orkney.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Ricco, I use this one for cullen skink, you might like to try it.
    It's a Claire Macdonald recipe - I love almost all her fishy ones.
    Using tomatoes is probably not traditonal & I'm sure you could leave them out if you don't like them, but I think they improve the taste.
    I've used her fish pie recipe for years & it makes the tastiest & most reliable fish pie I've ever eaten (if I say it myself) -it also includes tomatoes.

Serves 6

700g smoked haddock
    1.1 litres (2 pts) milk & water mixed (half & half)
    50g butter
    2 onions, skinned & chopped
    3 medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
    half teaspoon nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
    2 tomatoes, skinned, seeded & chopped
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 heaped tbsp finely chopped parsley
    single cream to serve

Put fish in a pan with the milk & water. Bring slowly to the boil & simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat & let the fish cool in the liquid.

Melt the butter in another pan & add the onion. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until onion is soft & transparent. Then add the potato & cook a further 5 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking.

Strain in the liquid the fish cooked in & simmer gently for 30 minutes, or until potato is soft.

Remove the pan from the heat. Add the nutmeg & pepper. Liquidise the soup until smooth. Flake the cooked fish into the soup, taking care to remove all bones & skin.

Stir in the tomatoes & then, just before serving, add the parsley.

Serve with a spoonful of cream in each plateful, if you like.

Golach, Angela - you're both gems. I shall give them a try this week and let you know the results.

i use leeks instead of the onions..

look at this website originally posted by windswept http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scottish-cooking.htm

A good hug often helps

Quote Originally Posted by bluelady View Post
    look at this website originally posted by windswept http://www.visitdunkeld.com/scottish-cooking.htm
    Bluelady - you're a star. Just what I needed. Thanks.

Thanks Ricco, and thanks to Windswept for finding it, it's handy when you can pass something on, because eventually it's what somethings looking for. Hope you enjoy the recipe's, there looks to be some good ones

A good hug often helps