Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
I have someone very dear and close to me, a nurse on the front line in London who was self isolating last week due to very mild symptoms (thinks she probably got it on London transport not on the ward) but now back at work this week- and she is doing her job because she wants to help and knows that she can.
And you don't think she, and others like her, deserves adequate protection for doing that job, despite her personal reasons for doing it (bearing in mind we don't yet know if catching coronavirus and recovering from it gives immunity to future infection)? If she probably got it on London Transport, does that not signal a blatant failure by the authorities regarding practising what the Government preaches, and an equally blatant failure by the Government for leaving local government bodies free to decide when/if/how they respond to the lockdown? We have all seen photos of the likes of the tube which seemingly has cut trains, so packing more people into fewer carriages.....and we have all seen photos of people arriving in airports from elsewhere in the world with no attempt made to quarantine or test them...and where I am, we still have the MOD carting people from elsewhere in the UK to perform non-essential maintenance on bases. One rule for us, it seems..and another one for anything connected to the Government.

I was interested in the release of the stockpile of PPE equipment to English care homes and domiciliary care providers. Given that the first confirmed cororonavirus sufferer arrived in the UK in late January and was confirmed in February, why was there still a stockpile of PPE equipment from PHE available for sale/distribution half way through April? Should that not have been brought out much sooner...and then maybe Scottish and Welsh Care homes etc would have been able to buy enough PPE supplies to protect those who needed protection? As someone with three grandchildren, who all have young families, working in the care sector in Scotland, I wonder how much the stockpiling by PHE contributed to the shortage of necessary protective equipment in the months between February and April in all areas of essential services in the whole UK...and the cynic in me wonders how much of this stockpiled equipment originated as a donation by the likes of Turkey and were meant for the UK and not for England only.

Better Together? A nation of equals? Aye, right!