Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advertising - hmmm!

shun Guest

Default Advertising - hmmm!

Do you think caithness companies advertise their products successfully? which companies, in your own opinion, have the best advertising campaigns?

Why do you ask?

shun Guest

i have just read the groat and have noticed Aurora's advert. just thought it was a nice advert and thought it to be rather effective. wondered what other peoples views are on advertising in the caithness area in general

Some companys in Caithness advertise well but I think its about time Caithness was advertised. Caithness has an image problem and with a bit of imagination I think Caithness could look very attractive to tourists and even new businesses.

shun Guest

i was actually at camster cairns on sunday and think it is a beautiful place. i would go as far as saying it is far nicer than maes howe in orkney. i think that caithness should have more tourist advertising as the place is steeped in history and beautiful landscapes

Orkney has a good image and they have a good tourist industry. Many tourist travel through Caithness to get to Orkney with a bit of advertising they many stay in Caithness a while longer!

Caithness is a nice place, and im sure there are plenty of things tourists would enjoy, we just really need to get our backsides into gear and get some advertising done and make it that bit more appealing to them!!

shun Guest

do you know any advertising agencies that deal with this sort of thing?

I am with you caithnessgirl. Caithness has alot to offer but many don't know about what is going on!

shun Guest

i have heard their might be a new company being setup called caithness tours or something - they provide tours around caithness for people and groups. lets hope they do an advertising campaign of their own and hopefully people will jump on the bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by shun
    i have heard their might be a new company being setup called caithness tours or something - they provide tours around caithness for people and groups. lets hope they do an advertising campaign of their own and hopefully people will jump on the bandwagon
    There are a couple of these wee minibus tours already i think, thats not very interesting tho, to be perfectly honest! something needs to be done before this place goes completely downhill!!

I agree with caithnessgirl, caithness has alot to offer but more advertising would do the industries up her a world of good. Its fine people from down south knowing about JOG's but there is a lot more to caithness than just one place.

CASE should do something surely, or even the local council. They should want to help the businesses that are here already.

shun Guest

maybe historic scotland, scottish tourist board, CASE and visitscotland could do a joint venture?

Caithness needs to become more tourist friendly. The simple fact is that shop staff are more interested in getting home for their Tea than staying open to serve tourists. I am sure many who visited go home to tell their friends and family "Oh, we went to Caithness, it was shut"

Caithness, anything after 4.50 PM is overtime!!

shun Guest

I find that quite funny that shops are shut at lunchtimes and are not open till maybe 5:30pm so it gives people a chance to come in after work. its like businesses are not wanting to have customers. lunchtime and 30mins after work, i would think, are probably the busiest time for local retailers

The idea of a joint venture between stakeholders in the tourism industry has been mooted before but, as usual, trying to get anything started is like pulling teeth.

The problem is that getting the big fish (CASE, STB, etc.) to work together is a nightmare but it's also up to the smaller fry (Dounreay (yes small!), B&B's, hotels, campsites, restaurants, gift shops, and any others who rely on tourists to boost their season sales & services) to get involved and give the big guns a push.

There was a female Canadian student working locally last year for a few months and she complied a report on things to do, places to go and see, and how to get there, etc. and it was the best tourism guide to Caithness & North Sutherland I've seen bar none. It was independent, comprehensive and totally un-funded as she did it as partof her university thesis!

What's needed is a well funded (mainly by the big fish with maybe some financial input by the small fry) independent individual or group to take all the information and put together a professional booklet and/or a DVD. This should then be thoroughly advertised on TV, radio, Internet etc. where interested parties could call a number for a free copy to be sent - a la Disneyland.

At the end of the day someone needs to make the first move and arrange a meeting with the large group to sound out enthusiasm, and then to work out the costs involved, funding sources, who to get involved, etc.

My thoughts...

Is that student's report available anywhere online Bobinovich?

I believe a large number of stakeholders (including someone very significant) have been working on how to market Caithness, a meeting was held recently at Dunrobin Castle.

It was all in the papers, nobody read it?

feeling quite chuffed with myself after reading this thread so far

Our website is aimed to help to promote our local area by publishing things of interest.
    Since my detailed hit counter went up last week i have had repeated visits from Australia, New Zealand, Holland, Germany, Italy, Canada, Mexico & Turkey.
    With members signing up from as far away as the United States I reckon we could do a lot more to advertise the County.
    It is interesting what different organisations are viewing our site
    www.tugmistress.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast