Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: caravans.

Default caravans.

Here we are again at the time of year of the caravan convoys.I personally hate the damn things. Was coming up the road from Inverness at the weekend & caught up behind three of them tailgating each other and rubber necking the sights between Golspie and Berridale at 40mph, No chance of overtaking as they were about a car distance apart. Nor had either of them any inclination of pulling in or distancing themselves a bit better to allow overtaking.Obviously they were a group that set of from home together and were nt going to get split up by anyone or anything, If they want to drag their homes about with them i think that they should pay more road tax than than the normal car driver, say double after all they use double the road, Hauliers have to pay more for their trailers so lets be fair to them and help spread the costs ,might even be a way to lower the tax for the rest of us, help compensate for the inconveniance & frustration caused. ps. as far as this particular group are concerned i think they could have shown a little common sense and a little more consideration towards other road users

Well said. I hate them.

Double road tax sounds good to me.

can we not just ban them?

We could hold a caravan amnesty at the scrappys and dish out free tents to those turning up who do wish to go camping!

Caravaners should be like the snails they so love to emulate - they should only be allowed to come out at night time.

There's nothing wrong with caravans its just a number of them have very inconsiderate drivers that fail to pull over and let you pass.

We alwas do.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

When we had the caravan we would always pull in to let folks past.

To my mind the holiday starts as soon as you last shift at work finishes, as such I tend not to be in a mad rush to get to my destination.

Its a shame that all caravaners are tarred with the same brush as the few ignorant ones on the go.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I don't think it's fair to say all caravan drivers are guilty of this. (I don't have one.)

Was driving up the A9 from Perth to Inverness on Sunday night and a Ford Ka was holding up a convoy of cars including lorries!! (Driver was travelling at 50 - 52mph)

Quote Originally Posted by Penelope Pitstop View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say all caravan drivers are guilty of this. (I don't have one.)

Was driving up the A9 from Perth to Inverness on Sunday night and a Ford Ka was holding up a convoy of cars including lorries!! (Driver was travelling at 50 - 52mph)
    Aye and I frequently get stuck behind people in (in cars) in Caithness who seem to think the national speed limit is somewhere between 40 and 50mph (either that or I get overtaken by the ones who think it's 80, but that's a whole other thread!)

There's loads of signs on the A9 south of Inverness which urge drivers to pull over/allow overtaking.. maybe we need more this side of the city?

It seems a bit harsh to ban them off the road. However, I beleive that if they had the proper training they would cause a lot less hassle to other road users. In Holland for instance, people wishing to tow a trailer or caravan have to sit a driving test to prove they can do it and are issued with the correct driving licence when they pass the test. I think that rule should be introduced in this country because a lot of people who tow caravans obviously don't have a clue about towing. For instance, some of them are not capable of reversing their caravan even for a short distance.

Great idea jaykay, that would create more jobs too so good allround
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    Aye and I frequently get stuck behind people in (in cars) in Caithness who seem to think the national speed limit is somewhere between 40 and 50mph ...
    Next time have a look to see if it has a towbar - caravaners seem to have only one speed - towing speed, even when they are out and about without their box on wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Aye and I frequently get stuck behind people in (in cars) in Caithness who seem to think the national speed limit is somewhere between 40 and 50mph (either that or I get overtaken by the ones who think it's 80, but that's a whole other thread!)

There's loads of signs on the A9 south of Inverness which urge drivers to pull over/allow overtaking.. maybe we need more this side of the city?
    Any speed limit is just that, the maximum speed at which it is permitted to travel in a vehicle on a stretch of road. It is neither the recommended speed, nor an obligatory speed. Why is it such a problem for folk to travel a below the speed limit?

Nick there is such a thing as curb crawling which is an offence in this country. Apart from that, 'sunday drivers' cause accidents and road rage.

What is wrong with common sense, if you want to sight see, pull over and stop, so as those folks who have somewhere to go can get there.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Well said. I hate them.

Double road tax sounds good to me.
    even better Jeremy Clarkson had an idea that they could be blown up or dropped from a great hieght in a disused quarry. may be we could all have a day out to attend the spectacle, something like the romans used to do bc.
    just a thought??

Quote Originally Posted by NickInTheNorth View Post
    Any speed limit is just that, the maximum speed at which it is permitted to travel in a vehicle on a stretch of road. It is neither the recommended speed, nor an obligatory speed. Why is it such a problem for folk to travel a below the speed limit?
    Because you can fail your test for going below the speed limit if it is safe to travel at that speed - especially if you are holding up traffic.. IIRC it actually comes under "driving without due care and attention".

Watch it Madpict, that theres fighting talk. We could have a serious fall out over this one.

First thing I got put on the car when we got it was a towbar, having said that I only have a trailer for clearing rubbish not a caravan at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Because you can fail your test for going below the speed limit if it is safe to travel at that speed - especially if you are holding up traffic.. IIRC it actually comes under "driving without due care and attention".
    No, you cannot fail for failing to drive at the speed limit. You can fail for failing to keep up with the traffic, which is a different matter altogether.

Driving at 20 mph and not allowing folks to pass, very probably a case of Driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users. Driving at 40 to 50 in a 60 limit, very much doubt that any traffic officer would be interested in that one.

As to having to drive at the speed limit, try reading the highway code:

104: The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions can be dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when
    • the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
    • sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, particularly children, and motorcyclists
    • weather conditions make it safer to do so
    • driving at night as it is harder to see other road users.

Hehe Changi, meet you behind the shower block/shoppette/site office then!!!

For a fight that is....
    Last edited by MadPict; 23-May-07 at 16:39.

Arrow Caravans

We go away every other week in our caravan and while coming up the road on Sun afternoon I caught up with traffic and as there was a que forming behind me I pulled in to let them past and promptly caught up all the cars etc that were behind me -only thing was they werent seeing the tour bus doing about 40mph stuck behind a white van that was struggling up the hills . It is just some caravaners that are more ignorant than anything else and then again so are a lot of other drivers who see a caravan coming and must pull out in front of it same as they do for Lorries and Buses and then trundle along at 40 mph .
    I try to pull in to laybys when a queue forms behind or let them pass when it is safe to do so m more than can be said of some of the other forms of transport that use the road causing hold ups

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
    It seems a bit harsh to ban them off the road. However, I beleive that if they had the proper training they would cause a lot less hassle to other road users. In Holland for instance, people wishing to tow a trailer or caravan have to sit a driving test to prove they can do it and are issued with the correct driving licence when they pass the test. I think that rule should be introduced in this country because a lot of people who tow caravans obviously don't have a clue about towing. For instance, some of them are not capable of reversing their caravan even for a short distance.
    I believe there is a requirement for new drivers wishing to tow a large trailer or caravan do such a test in the UK now. Correct me if im wrong, i do believe it only applies to those who have only passed their test after September 1999 (Could be the wrong year). I only passed my test in Sept 2006 so can only tow a trailer with a max laden weight of 1 tonne.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast