Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Swede/Neep Pudding (yum!)

Default Swede/Neep Pudding (yum!)

This is nice actually! If you think of how bad the idea of carrot cake sounds compared with how nice it actually is to eat you'll also have an idea of what this tastes like.

The Americans pinched it from the Irish and call a swede a rutabaga.

Got this recipe online years ago and have made it several times. Neeps being so low in price at the moment (and having two to get through at the moment) figured someone might find this a useful recipe. I put a little cinnamon in mine and like it best served chilled.

Rutabaga Pudding (Irish)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts Irish
    Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 lb Rutabagas
    3 T Fine breadcrumbs
    3 T Milk
    2 t Melted butter
    1 t Salt
    1 t Sugar
    Lg. egg, well beaten

Clean, peel and cube the rutabaga, and cook in boiling water until tender,
    then drain. Mash thoroughly; then add all the other ingredients. Put
    into a 2-qt casserole and bake at 350F for 1 hour. A pinch of cinnamon or

ginger might be added.
    http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/e...0/rec0064.html

Hey this sounds really good - I'm going to give it a try. BTW the breadmaker is working well - have made several loaves (one of which was cherry and sultana - yummy) and a madeira cake.

Hi Dreamweaver! Glad you're getting on well with the breadmaker

Hope you enjoy the pudding. I'm a bit liberal when I make mine up and have tweak it to taste - usually when I cook swede I mix some carrot in with it but others might prefer it without.

I made up a wonderful loaf a while back - Coconut, honey and sultana with a pinch of cardamom. It was something of a 'hit' with friends and family (I'd had a very nice Pashwari naan bread a few days before and wondered if I could make up something like in in the breadmaker) will pass on the recipe if you're interested

Yes please, I like the sound of that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post
    Yes please, I like the sound of that!!!
    no bother, have just posted it separately. From the brief experience of the couple of loaves I made with your machine I'd be inclined to reduce the water slightly, but once you get to know your machine you'd probably have the best idea of what dough thickness gives the best results - good luck! Figured this bread was pretty versatile, good with sweet as well as savoury fillings and toppings, in fact it was really nice simply with a little butter or marg.