Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Blair expected to announce his resignation.

Default Tony Blair expected to announce his resignation.

It seems Tony Blair is expected to announce a date for his Resignation What are you views on him as a Prime Minister? He won three elections but will he be remembered for what he did, what he failed to do, or the mistakes he made?
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    It seems Tony Blair is expected to announce a date for his Resignation What are you views on him as a Prime Minister? He won three elections but will he be remembered for what he did, what he failed to do, or the mistakes he made?
    Well that will please at least one regular poster won't it.
    ............................AHOY HOY........................

Do you think we should copy and paste all the posts from ‘Sign the petition to prosecute blair for war crimes’ thread to save some time?

Blair has finally managed to bring peace to Northern Ireland.

Who would have thought that Paisley and McGuinness would have been in the same room, let alone shaking hands and speaking in a civil manner.

On the down side, allowing the raid on pensions by Brown is at least questionable.
    Last edited by quirbal; 09-May-07 at 23:07.
    ............................AHOY HOY........................

It is important breaking news. He has won three elections, he has had his ups and downs, potentially his resignation could save or break the party. I Would like to hear any valid opinions on his time as leader of Britain.

No matter what good things he may have done, i think they will go down in history for being the party of sleaze and scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by Solus View Post
    No matter what good things he may have done, i think they will go down in history for being the party of sleaze and scandal.
    I am not keen on the American system of only being in office for two terms, but it seems very difficult for any leader to sustain leadership or the status-quo over extended terms. There have been a few "western" leaders in the past (10-20+ years ago (that I am aware of)) that managed it but fewer and fewer in todays age.

He won three elections but will he be remembered for what he did, what he failed to do, or the mistakes he made?
    He'll be remembered for Iraq, fittingly. That, and talking lamp-posts.

He won three elections because there wasn't a credible alternative. He's probably quite a nice guy, but unfortunately, decided to be a politician which completely cancels most positive virtues and leaves him departing from a venal, corrupt organisation desperate to hang on to their jobs.

He presided over an addition of 3,000 criminal offences to the statute books. Where on earth did he think he was? Afghanistan?

He completely bent over for Europe, even removing his own trousers first (metaphorically speaking).

He claimed to have a copy of the Koran on his bedside table and made himself a laughing stock amongst the immigrant / Muslim community.

He over-interpreted many, if not most, legislative requirements proceeding out of Europe.

He'll make millions joining Clinton on the international playboy circuit.

His first priority as Prime Minister ("education, education, education") has been a total disaster after spending billions to ensure that the country has a seemingly limitless supply of under-educated, illiterate, innumerate Epsilon semi-morons, at the same time as finding that all schools have outperformed their targets. Marvellous!

Glad he's gone, glad he won't be back, and steeling myself for worse from the Miserable Scotsman-who-wants-to-be-English who had Botox injected into his face a while back to keep the smile there.

My lasting opinion of Tony Blair will be of a man who came and leaves office with integrity coupled with a great sense of duty. He is a man who acted with passion and humility. A man who could act decisively though would be the first to admit mistakes, a trait which he has personally pioneered for all to follow in the high office of politics.

He will go down as the Premier who brought;

Scotland and Wales their devolution, lasting peace to Ireland, the minimum wage, the most stable/sustainable period of economic growth in the history of British politics, constitutional change in the House of Lords, the ban on fox hunting, shortened NHS waiting times, improved academic standards in our schools, increased Police accountability, green issues to the top of the international political agenda, a reduction of the working class and a growth of middle classes and a lot more.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by j4bberw0ck View Post
    He'll make millions joining Clinton on the international playboy circuit.
    I think he'll get a seat on the board at Murdoch Enterprises.

He has kick-started us on a road to independence, with his foreign wars and nuclear weapons encouraging support for the SNP. Granting us devolution has let the genie out the bottle. Thank you Tony!

Rheghead, I have to disagree with some of the examples you give as positives in Tony Blairs tenure of office.
    Minimum wage - for far too many, it has become the maximum wage. Flawed legislation.
    Fox Hunting ban - an increase in the number of foxes killed since the ban was introduced, nothing more than a misguided fight against "class".
    Reduced hospital waiting times - not really, just a simple matter of changing the method whereby waiting times are calculated. And very much like Gordon Brown changing the method of calculating the rate of inflation.
    Improved academic standards - Not according to most commentators, in my experience.
    Or maybe you were being facetious?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    He will go down as the Premier who brought;

Scotland and Wales their devolution, lasting peace to Ireland, the minimum wage, the most stable/sustainable period of economic growth in the history of British politics, constitutional change in the House of Lords, the ban on fox hunting, shortened NHS waiting times, improved academic standards in our schools, increased Police accountability, green issues to the top of the international political agenda, a reduction of the working class and a growth of middle classes and a lot more.
    Methinks Rheghead has spouted forth from a spin doctors dictionary, from which you hear Government ministers reeling out the same blurb on every news channel.

Lasting peace to Ireland, what is it now 48 hours and counting. I wish them well.
    The minimum wage didn't cost him or his Government a penny, earns him votes though.
    All the alledged "family friendly" policies show no thought for small businesses and doesn't cost anything yet once again gets votes. He wouldn't have to introduce such policies if his Government didn't virtually force every mother and father out to work and farm their children into institutions during the years when they need the loving cuddles of their parents. Do you see a link to the increase in anti social behaviour and the 100% employment crusade by Blair. I do.

Also, what about:-
    The highest tax burden.
    Never ending cronyism.
    Telling fibs to take us to war.
    The attention to spinning and presentation as opposed to substance.
    His contempt for Parliament and what it stands for. His presidential style has done nothing for true democracy.

He is the only person in this world who the sight and sound of, makes my skin crawl.

He allowed himself to be manipulated by his own spin doctors and then concentrated more on becoming electable and gaining 2nd and 3rd terms in office rather than sticking by the values he purported to have when he entered Parliament. He has sold himself and the country down the river.

I await a spin doctor type retort and rebuke
    Last edited by brokencross; 10-May-07 at 13:00.
    Take a hundred lines:- "The word is INFRACTION not INFARTION"

I agree, and I have not been overly impressed with him, but why was he re-elected so many times. There must have been (still is?) something beyond whatever it is that have left so many disillusioned with Blair and Labour.

I agree, and I have not been overly impressed with him, but why was he re-elected so many times. There must have been (still is?) something beyond whatever it is that have left so many disillusioned with Blair and Labour.
    The quality of opposition?

He played a blinder in his speech today practicing the art of spin and timing to the finest degree. Got to respect the man for that I guess. His farther in law was an actor but hell he had noting on Blair. I don't feel there is a fibre in his body that believes in anything but himself.

Quote Originally Posted by stratman View Post
    The quality of opposition?

He played a blinder in his speech today practicing the art of spin and timing to the finest degree. Got to respect the man for that I guess. His farther in law was an actor but hell he had noting on Blair. I don't feel there is a fibre in his body that believes in anything but himself.
    The Home Office's timing for releasing the news that the estimated cost of identity cards has risen by £840 million in six months wasn't bad either.

I saw that announcement had been delayed. The spin doctors have no shame.
    What is more annoying is that they treat us as idiots thinking we can't see what dastardly deeds they are up to.
    Blair and Co would not recognise the truth if it jumped up and bit them on the bum.
    As for his speech, it must have taken weeks of rehearsals to show such realistic humility and genuine expressions of "for the good of the country".
    The sad thing is the deluded man believes his own rhetoric.
    Take a hundred lines:- "The word is INFRACTION not INFARTION"

Tony Blair must have been popular to have been reelected so many times. Reminds me of Margaret Thatcher who also remained in office for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
    Tony Blair must have been popular to have been reelected so many times. Reminds me of Margaret Thatcher who also remained in office for a long time.
    People like who they are told to like and who they vote for depends largely on what the headlines in the Sun are on polling day.

People are like sheep and the media are the sheep dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    The Home Office's timing for releasing the news that the estimated cost of identity cards has risen by £840 million in six months wasn't bad either.
    Never forget Joanne Moore: "This is a good day to bury bad news"

A real view of the internal workings of our trusted parties. The upper echelons of course spoke in her support till she went.
    Last edited by stratman; 11-May-07 at 09:29.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast