Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Who was Weir?

Default Who was Weir?

I was enjoying looking at Bill Fernie's photographs of Milton last night - I lived at 8 Weir Crescent when I was a wee girl in the 1950s. A bit of nostalgic wallowing there!

Which made me wonder -where did the name come from? Does anybody know who (or maybe what?) Weir was?

I'd really like to know!

Could it be Tom Weir? The Scottish mountaineer and adventurer? Or it could be named after an actual weir (watercourse).
    Last edited by Rheghead; 08-May-07 at 12:00.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Yes, I did wonder about an actual "weir" rather than a person. That could well (pun really not intended ) have been the case. I'll try to find out.

The houses were built by the council in the early 50s I think -if Weir was a person he/she could have either been a historic figure, or perhaps more likely, someone prominent at the time.

Cool Weir

Could it have anything to do with the Wilfred Weir grocery shop - used to be where Gunn's shoe shop is in Wick
    Wilfred Weir's father ran it, I think, before supermarkets came to Wick. After it was sold, did son not buy iron mongers next door - which from reading posts is now an antique shop - oooohhhh memory is forgetful after all these years.

Oh my, Pat, I DO remember Wilfred Weir's isn't it strange how these things come back...

I've been told that our memories are arranged rather like filing cabinets, so when you open a file right at the back you've not looked at in years, it ALL comes flooding out!

My Mam used to send me down to wilfred weirs for a wee bit of shopping,but until that mention of it, it was a lost memory for me..Nice to have it back...

My mum worked in Wilfred Weir's shop during the war - so did Gus Simpson who eventually had a bakers shop in Thurso.

LB